Post by world-of-satellite » Sat Apr 27, 2013 12:33 pm

As the title, what px width do you use on on your opencart?

I'm using the standard 980px, but thinking of making wider to at least 1080px. With today's modern day screens don't think it would be an issue, just interested to hear other thoughts.

Post by granddaddy » Sat Apr 27, 2013 4:08 pm

I always use 980, even on non-opencart sites. While widescreen monitors are prevalent these days it is not by public choice - you are forced to buy them. But some users will still restrict the viewing area to 1024*768 because it is easier on the eye. You also have to take into account the fact that people often keep their older monitors in case the new one fails, and the older one might be a 'square' monitor.
So my premise is that I want websites that will work fine no matter what type of monitor or resolution is used. A very well-known "never do" in web design is to have a site that needs to be scrolled sideways, even slightly - it just annoys people and loses sales. The 980 width works well on both widescreen and square monitors so I stick to that, because sales are more important than cosmetics to me.
That's my 2 cents, but I'd be interested to hear experiences of other web designers.