Post by alex067 » Mon Jul 24, 2017 7:26 am

Hi everyone, this is a two part question!

1) Is there anyway I can test opencart as a standalone product and not an extension to a website? A client of mine wants to run opencart on their website, but they would like me to test it first. However I do not have a website selling a product. Is there anyway I can test opencart on it's on, like how they do on the demo?

I'll basically be modifying some of the php scripts and would like to test it in a safe environment, instead of the client downloading open cart and testing the modified scripts live.

2) How can I find the login credentials to the OC database? Also, can I view the schema of the database, and modify/remove/add tables?

Thank you so much!

Post by thekrotek » Mon Jul 24, 2017 6:11 pm

But OpenCart is not en extension to a website. Sad but true :-(

Professional OpenCart extensions, support and custom work.
Contact me via email or Skype by support@thekrotek.com

Expert Member

Post by labeshops » Mon Jul 24, 2017 8:37 pm

Not sure why you think it is a component - opencart is a standalone program. You can install it anywhere you want, even on a local server for development or in a subdirectory for a test environment (I have a test install of v3 on my server that is also running my live v2.2 stores).

You can view/edit the database thru phymyadmin like any other database. The database info is stored in config.php files in root and admin of opencart. They can be edited thru your control panel like any other database.

Running Opencart v3.0.3.2 with multi-stores from https://www.labeshops.com which has links to all my stores.

Expert Member

Location - Florida, USA

Post by MrPhil » Mon Jul 24, 2017 10:07 pm

Like virtually every other shopping cart (as well as forums, blogs, galleries, and other "standalone" products) OC is architected to stand and operate on its own, as the sole occupant of a website. It's certainly possible to have other parts and applications of a website, and to install OC into its own subdirectory. You can even install it into its final position (e.g., /shop) on the live site, and simply omit any links to it while testing (although this does not guarantee that someone won't stumble across it during this time).

Since you never heard of phpMyAdmin, it sounds like you have very little experience in such things. Be very careful if you choose to go hacking around OC and changing code -- you can easily make a mess out of it. Be sure to do a search on this forum (and globally) if your intent is to integrate OC with other things (e.g., a common login and session across the site). Someone may have already developed such things. If you're looking to modify the appearance of OC to match the existing site, the first place to look is in the CSS files, or to install a theme, before hacking PHP modules. Also be very careful about messing around inside the database -- you really need to know what you're doing, or you can badly break OC.

If you're integrating into a site with other applications, be aware that OC (or any other standalones) may not always play nice with others. It may not be a simple matter to get applications to stop stepping on each other's toes, so you need a lot of experience in such things before you start.