Post by Xciso » Tue Dec 05, 2017 1:04 am

Hello everyone! I worked verry much with OpenCart when the version was 1.5, but then my time was running out for other projects. I still run a OC store with version 1.5.6.4. It works verry good but now looks verry old, and some new features would be nice to have.

I have started to look at version 3.x as it is the newest version. Who would not buy a new car? :) But.. Always when new cars comming out it has many "bugs".

I have read all topics I could found about "which version is best". And many recommend 2.2. over 2.3.0.2, and also over 3.0.2.0. Like a car. Why should I change when it works like a dream?

3.x has twig as template engine. I tryed it this weekend only for a short time, and I most say that I like old .tpl better. For me old tpl is more easy to customize and tweak. Maybe twig is faster and has better security as it not can understand php.

OK Everyone!! Which version do you recommed?

Post by thekrotek » Tue Dec 05, 2017 1:46 am

Xciso wrote:
Tue Dec 05, 2017 1:04 am
And many recommend 2.2. over 2.3.0.2, and also over 3.0.2.0
THIS! Don't dig any further, just download 2.2 and be happy.

Professional OpenCart extensions, support and custom work.
Contact me via email or Skype by support@thekrotek.com

Expert Member

Post by gob33 » Tue Dec 05, 2017 8:22 am

OC Overclocked 1.10.2 and keep your extensions.

All my extensions

Location - France

Post by Johnathan » Tue Dec 05, 2017 11:26 pm

Both 2.3 and 3.0 are stable, but have a few bugs. Based on what I've heard, 3.0 is a bit more frustrating to get used to, especially if you don't like the new Twig syntax, so I'd recommend 2.3.0.2 for you. Personally, I wouldn't go with 2.2 --- there's no real reason to go with an older version, and eventually you may want to upgrade to 2.3 anyway. I'd just go with 2.3 from the start.

Image Image Image Image Image

Administrator

Post by thekrotek » Tue Dec 05, 2017 11:36 pm

Johnathan wrote:
Tue Dec 05, 2017 11:26 pm
Personally, I wouldn't go with 2.2 --- there's no real reason to go with an older version, and eventually you may want to upgrade to 2.3 anyway. I'd just go with 2.3 from the start.
Sorry, but you're wrong in this part, There's no real reason to go with OC 2.3, because it's basically 2.2 with ZERO useful stuff (for most users), but with new folder structure and castrated compatibility code. Yes, you can install an extension, which add missing compatibility code (I even have the one myself), but why bother, when you can go without it? And I don't even want to start another discussion about famous "You don't have access to API" error message, which pops all over the 2.3 due to broken API sessions.

OC 2.3 is a step towards 3.0, which is indefinitely far from being stable. So the latest stable "pure" OC 2 version is 2.2.

Professional OpenCart extensions, support and custom work.
Contact me via email or Skype by support@thekrotek.com

Expert Member

Post by Johnathan » Wed Dec 06, 2017 11:24 pm

thekrotek wrote:
Tue Dec 05, 2017 11:36 pm
Sorry, but you're wrong in this part, There's no real reason to go with OC 2.3, because it's basically 2.2 with ZERO useful stuff (for most users), but with new folder structure and castrated compatibility code. Yes, you can install an extension, which add missing compatibility code (I even have the one myself), but why bother, when you can go without it? And I don't even want to start another discussion about famous "You don't have access to API" error message, which pops all over the 2.3 due to broken API sessions.

OC 2.3 is a step towards 3.0, which is indefinitely far from being stable. So the latest stable "pure" OC 2 version is 2.2.
Hasn't been my experience, but for the original poster: yes, 2.2 and 2.3 aren't that different.

Image Image Image Image Image

Administrator

Post by Xciso » Thu Dec 07, 2017 1:52 am

Hi. Thanks for all your answers. Its sadly to read that they ship out versions that not are stable. Every version they ship out should be stable. If its not stable, it should stay as a beta until it is stable. And if 2.2 is verry stable, why are the making 2.3 unstable? Why change stuff when they alread work?
I canu understand if 3.0 is litte buggy, but now when it already has come to 3.0.2.0 it should be stable.

I started my first store with OsCommerce, and I think most of all readers now how "easy friendly" it was... When I jumped to OpenCart from Oscommerce I was decid between Magento and OpenCart. I didnt like admin interface in Magento as it was soooo much to learn to just insert a product.

I tryed Magento for some months ago and for me its just the same as it was for 2-3years ago.
I have always liked OpenCart, but sadly i think sometimes that this forum could be much better with discussions. And Daniel just make things he self like, and not what all "fans" like.

Just look at all payments modules. Does OpenCart need so many payment solutions by default? Just make this as modules for free.
Insted why does OpenCart never get a import/export function for all products by default? How many people are inserting product by product manual?

Post by straightlight » Thu Dec 07, 2017 4:50 am

Every version they ship out should be stable. If its not stable, it should stay as a beta until it is stable.
Couldn't agree more.
And if 2.2 is verry stable, why are the making 2.3 unstable? Why change stuff when they alread work?
Due to more demands and untested codings.
I have always liked OpenCart, but sadly i think sometimes that this forum could be much better with discussions.
Excuse me? :ponder:
Just look at all payments modules. Does OpenCart need so many payment solutions by default? Just make this as modules for free.
That would be ideal, indeed, to avoid on uninstalling all modules before running a core upgrade.
Insted why does OpenCart never get a import/export function for all products by default? How many people are inserting product by product manual?
Due to unknown origins of different platforms using different database field types which Opencart may either not have or may have but may be created in a different database field structure which may not be that obvious generally to integrate values from one platform to another which implicitly involves products.

Dedication and passion goes to those who are able to push and merge a project.

Regards,
Straightlight
Programmer / Opencart Tester

Legendary Member

Location - Canada, ON

Post by Xciso » Fri Dec 08, 2017 12:58 am

straightlight. What i really mean with better discussions is that i think that it could be more active, with more news from OC team. What are comming in next release, what does we OC users want in comming versions.. Sadly this isnt the only forum that are going more down as more and more are going on to FB.

Facebook is ofcurse verry good for fast questions, but I must say that I like forum better as it can be much more details.
OpenCart is for me the best e-commerce solution online, and I really hope it will be better and better.

Post by straightlight » Fri Dec 08, 2017 1:33 am

No problem. Although, the main reason why there aren't any announced features for upcoming releases is due to the limitations from users that are unable to track the current features installed either from the core or as an extension in their current releases of Opencart. If everybody would be on the same level based on their knowledge capacity, the upcoming features would be far way easier to announce. Unfortunately, each user is different as more are simply and mainly focus to sell out their products without knowing the cause and consequences toward their customers on what may or what have been impacted during their transactions.

Regards,
Straightlight

Legendary Member

Location - Canada, ON

Post by gob33 » Fri Dec 08, 2017 9:26 pm

Make a try with OC Overclocked, it has import / export out of the box.
Every line of code inside every file has been checked, adjusted and corrected when necessary.

All my extensions

Location - France

Post by Xciso » Tue Dec 12, 2017 12:39 am

Hi. I tested OC Overclocked live demo. I didnt like it, maybe all the code is better but that is build from 1.5, and I like the admin interface in 2.x much more.
And I also think that many extensions will break when the code is changed. Thats the bad thing with forks.
Thanks anyway. I think I will go with 2.2.0.0 as "thekroktek" say is the best and most stable version.

Post by straightlight » Tue Dec 12, 2017 12:47 am

Download the Opencart master files on Github Opencart officials. The most recent and almost real-time changes are being made from that website.

Regards,
Straightlight

Legendary Member

Location - Canada, ON

Post by IP_CAM » Thu Dec 14, 2017 12:18 pm

gob33 wrote:
Fri Dec 08, 2017 9:26 pm
Make a try with OC Overclocked, it has import / export out of the box.
Well, if it would be so easy, since OC Overclocked left the compatibility-path with it's later Versions
v.1.6.+ already for good, and this means, that most all existing Extensions have to be recoded, to work
again. One good reason for me, to stay with, what so far has been the most solid Version ever built,
and that's the OC v.1.5.6.5_rc, accept it, or not. Or then prove, that this is not the case... :D
---
https://github.com/opencart/opencart/tr ... 306fb75707
---
And combined with a nice responsive Version-2 Theme, like an example as shown here:
http://www.jti.li/
it works and looks the same way as any later OC-Version, and if one care's to have the
Admin Section responsive as well, even that can be solved. And when it comes to free
Knowlege and Extensions, there is nothing comparable anywhere either.

And it seems to be a carefree Solution too, v.1.5.6.4 + Versions belong to those, seldom or
never beeing mentioned at the Forum either, despite of the Fact, that thousands exist, and
seemengly work, as planned.

But from the Business Point of View, I fully understand the reasons, and arguments,
since just about everything for OC v.1.5.6.x already exists. But that's not my Problem
either, since I don't depend on Income, generated by selling Mods for latest Versions.

Just to add my Swiss Cheese to this too. :D
Ernie

My Github OC Site: https://github.com/IP-CAM
5'200 + FREE OC Extensions, on the World's largest private Github OC Repository Archive Site.

Legendary Member

Location - Switzerland

Post by gob33 » Sat Dec 16, 2017 7:21 pm

IP_CAM wrote:
Thu Dec 14, 2017 12:18 pm
Well, if it would be so easy, since OC Overclocked left the compatibility-path with it's later Versions
v.1.6.+ already for good, and this means, that most all existing Extensions have to be recoded, to work
again. One good reason for me, to stay with, what so far has been the most solid Version ever built,
and that's the OC v.1.5.6.5_rc, accept it, or not. Or then prove, that this is not the case... :D
I dont know where you saw OC Overclocked left compatibility with 1.6+.
OC Overclocked evolves slowly in the continuity of 1.5.x series and introduced some display changes, but it is very easy for a dev to modify / adapt an OC 1.5 extension to run in Overclocked 1.10+, this is absolutely not a total extension recode.
Vqmod and Ckeditor are kept and upgraded for their compatibility and stability, and you have most functionnalities of OC 2.x series. All functions OC calls are here, OC 1.5.6.5_rc corrections have been incorporated since a long time.

See: https://www.opencart.com/forum/viewtopi ... 13#p536643

I dont stop looking for a nice interface like OC 2.x, 3.x.
I go inside the code, compare programmation, look at villagedefrance's github work and i can tell the Overclocked stability result of lot of corrections done over OC. I even think it is better than a 2.2 but developpers ignore it, i dont know why ?

All my extensions

Location - France

Post by straightlight » Sun Dec 17, 2017 3:32 am

developpers ignore it, i dont know why ?
For the simple reason that even though the codes provided by another publisher might be fluent, it may not mean that the codes are updated as the latest evolution of the development of Opencart while the Github Opencart master files constantly contains updated codes.

Regards,
Straightlight

Legendary Member

Location - Canada, ON

Post by Burt65 » Sun Dec 17, 2017 6:54 am

gob33 wrote:
Sat Dec 16, 2017 7:21 pm

I dont know where you saw OC Overclocked left compatibility with 1.6+.
OC Overclocked evolves slowly in the continuity of 1.5.x series and introduced some display changes, but it is very easy for a dev to modify / adapt an OC 1.5 extension to run in Overclocked 1.10+, this is absolutely not a total extension recode.
Vqmod and Ckeditor are kept and upgraded for their compatibility and stability, and you have most functionnalities of OC 2.x series. All functions OC calls are here, OC 1.5.6.5_rc corrections have been incorporated since a long time.

I dont stop looking for a nice interface like OC 2.x, 3.x.
I go inside the code, compare programmation, look at villagedefrance's github work and i can tell the Overclocked stability result of lot of corrections done over OC. I even think it is better than a 2.2 but developpers ignore it, i dont know why ?
While I do believe that Villagedefrance has done an excellent job with his version of OC 1.10.2, I'm failing to see why you don't agree with IP_CAM statement, considering that, like you just said more than twice now:
Every line of code inside every file has been checked, adjusted and corrected when necessary.
and introduced some display changes, but it is very easy for a dev to modify / adapt an OC 1.5 extension
Overclocked stability result of lot of corrections done over OC
How can this make it compatible with most extensions in the Market??

Regarding the original OP question, it seem to me, that thekrotek and Johnathan have given the best answer, regarding OC stability (at the present time, and probably more related to bugs than actual stability) and also compatibility of extensions available in the market...

Over 95% of all computer problems can be traced back to the interface between the keyboard and the chair...

Location - Oz

Post by gob33 » Sun Dec 17, 2017 8:11 am

Overclocked doesnt follow all latest OC evolutions, it continues the 1.5 series and try to report the most important corrections and changes of github, those really needed by merchants. It doesnt focus on bootstrap or twig.
Are 1.5.x extensions comptatible with OC 2.x ? Absolutely not, a dev need to rewrite them because of bootstrap, directory changes, etc.. and merchant must rebuy them.
Are 1.5.x extensions compatible with Overclocked 1.10.x ? Some are, for others it is easy to make modifications and adapt in short time. Merchants can adapt themselves their own custom extensions / vqmod too.
Overclocked fills the gap between OC 1.5 and 2.0, it is an option to consider to have a stable shop less old than 1.5.x

All my extensions

Location - France

Post by heatherm » Thu Feb 01, 2018 10:42 am

thekrotek wrote:
Tue Dec 05, 2017 1:46 am
Xciso wrote:
Where can you download 2.2 from?

Post by heatherm » Thu Feb 01, 2018 11:39 am

heatherm wrote:
Thu Feb 01, 2018 10:42 am
thekrotek wrote:
Tue Dec 05, 2017 1:46 am
Xciso wrote:
Where can you download 2.2 from?
It's OK, I found it thanks.