Post by PatrickWalker » Tue Apr 20, 2021 10:29 am

Hello everyone,
OpenCart is an online store management system. It is PHP based, uses MySQL database and HTML components. Support is provided for different languages and currencies. Indeed it is a very useful software for business people like me. I want to use this software but don't know if it can be used for free or for a fee. Hope everyone let me know.
Thanks everyone.

Post by OSWorX » Tue Apr 20, 2021 2:00 pm

OpenCart itself in general is Free, can be used for Free and will be Free forever.
When it comes to Extensions, many are Free, some are not (you have to pay for them) - but all must be published under the same License as OpenCart.

Full Stack Web Developer :: Dedicated OpenCart Development & Support DACH Region
Contact for Custom Work / Fast Support.

Guru Member

Location - Austria

Post by JNeuhoff » Tue Apr 20, 2021 5:09 pm

OpenCart is freely available under the GNU General Public License version 3 (GPLv3), so are some (but not all) extensions.

Export/Import Tool * SpamBot Buster * Unused Images Manager * Instant Option Price Calculator * Number Option * Google Tag Manager * Survey Plus * OpenTwig

Guru Member

Post by OSWorX » Tue Apr 20, 2021 6:36 pm

JNeuhoff wrote:
Tue Apr 20, 2021 5:09 pm
OpenCart is freely available under the GNU General Public License version 3 (GPLv3), so are some (but not all) extensions.
so are some (but not all) extensions
Not correct!
Every and each extension has to be published under the same (minimum) License as the Framework they are based on, is.
Otherwise it would be violating the GNU/GPL.

"Minimum" because, they could be also licensed under a compatible (to GN/GPL) License, e.g. AGPL (which is Lesser).
MIT should be proven, but I guess also.

Templates are not affected by this, same Extensions contain only Javascript (which does not exist currently).
But (!), as they are relying and using the Framework (here OpenCart itself), GNU/GPL v.3 must be used (or Lesser).

And it is not allowed (better to say explicite forbidden) to earn Money with the OpenCart core package.

Case: everybody can adopt and change the code of OpenCart (so called Fork).
He can now publish and offer that new package under the same License for FREE.
But he could charge for the Download - not the package itself.
Means he wants to get some money for hosting, server, his work, etc. => allowed (if someone pays that, it is okay).

In General: the GNU/GPL License allows erverybody to use and reuse any under this License published software.
Does no matter on how many Domains the same time.

The License allows also everybody to adopt, change, and so on - the original scripts.
Doing so, there is one thing which must be respected: headers inside the scripts are not allowed to delete or changed!
They can be only extended.

But (!!), the moment these adopted scripts are published, they must be published under the same License as the Original is (or lesser).

I know some developers and vendors are publishing their scripts under obstruse Licenses.
E.g. allowed only on one (1) Domain, only two (2) Subdomains, etc.
Because of the GNU/GPL not allowed.

The much worst Extensions use some "verification" code - mainly hidden somewhere inside the code.
There are some very popular Extensions from some very known Developers and Vendors using such a technique.
This is also called: "Home Calling"
Every time the Extension is used, it calls home and check if the [License, Registration, Support, Domain, etc.] is valid.
Some of them try to limit their functions after that periode.

I have seen so much the last years, read so many pseudo Licenses, that I am really tired of all of that!
It is a shame how some are dealing with their clients and customers.

Even registered Agencies (know some in Germany) are practising that.
They "buy" an Extension and use it then several times for x clients.
And (re)charge every time again and again and every year.
Even for Extensions published for free!

So, as long as the Founder (or Owner) of OpenCart is publishing the core under the GNU/GPL v.3, it will be free - in the sense of using, forking and restributing.
If he change his mind and change the License (he can do that at every time) to a more stricter one, it depends then on the chosen Lincense.

Basically simple - and not simple again.

Because the License (GNU/GPL v.3) does not forbid to earn Money with self deployed scripts (Extensions).
So, each extension may be published for Free or Paid.
But not limited in the usage.

Full Stack Web Developer :: Dedicated OpenCart Development & Support DACH Region
Contact for Custom Work / Fast Support.

Guru Member

Location - Austria