Post by cartuser9 » Sun Jun 13, 2021 1:33 pm

I've been slowly advancing on my plans to move my store to OC, and eventually I must tackle the issue of bringing the products and categories. I'm not worried about the importing process itself, as there are several extensions that would work for that and may hire someone for the actual database work, but before I reach that point I must decide if it's better to keep the current hierarchy or if there are changes that should be made.
In my current store we have 54000 products spread over a hierarchical tree with 7700 categories. Some products have a path that is 9 levels deep. Products per category vary from 4 to 150. Trying to split products by their features makes very uneven numbers.
I assume that a menu (mega or not) would only be convenient for the first 3 levels. Otherwise it would be cumbersome to navigate, plus that's about 1000 categories already, so the menu itself would be very busy and heavy to load. After that I guess the best option would be for users to drill down by category icons in the product panel.
Is it better to make a detailed and long drill down, with a page or 2 of products per category? Or have a few hundreds items per category and rely on filters for drilldown?
What's the suggested depth and width of a hierarchy tree, both for ease of customer navigation and for SEO?
Would love to hear what has worked (or not) for people around here.
Also, if these kinds of discussion subjects can be handled by consulting for a fee I can take that route too. (I mostly saw commercial offers for programming extensions or data handling, but not for more conceptual topics)
Thanks for any assistance

Post by straightlight » Sun Jun 13, 2021 5:45 pm

Extensions request.

Dedication and passion goes to those who are able to push and merge a project.

Regards,
Straightlight
Programmer / Opencart Tester

Legendary Member

Location - Canada, ON