Post by wishmedia » Thu Jul 23, 2015 4:59 am

aaryan24 wrote:Yeah, i agreed with you. I also used opencart for website, this is an pretty good platform. I also ranked in SERP very well but One my category page

Code: Select all

http://www.high5store.com/women-kurtis]http://www.high5store.com/women-kurtis
is stuck on 2nd page. How to reslove problem of boost ranking from 2nd to 1st page. Is any technical issued in opencart ? Plz help me.

What keyword are you trying to rank for and in what country are you searching? Both of these depend on your serp position and competing websites.

First of all, your category page doesn't have any content in it. Adding a description of what the category is (500 - 1000 words) will be a good start towards boosting your rank.

The next step (guessing without being able to research why) would be to acquire some backlinks directly to this page.

I am also curious to how you are monitoring your serp - have you tried out our plugin SEOMatic?: http://www.opencart.com/index.php?route ... n_id=21549

Post by prihas » Tue Sep 15, 2015 5:12 pm

Hi..Help me?
I have a problem with the title in the google search page.
The first run normally but when I change the site from without www to www (in google webmaster). everything is so changed.
Is there something wrong?
Untitled.png

Untitled.png (7.73 KiB) Viewed 5940 times

title in google search to be changed, not the name of my website.
and I did not change anything on the dashboard.

does anyone know why this happens?
Thanks.

"It doesn't matter how slow you go, as long as you don't stop"

Belanja online barang unik dan lucu seperti Lampu Hias, Cetakan Coklat, Frame Foto dll.

Post by wishmedia » Fri Sep 18, 2015 2:58 am

prihas wrote:Hi..Help me?
I have a problem with the title in the google search page.
The first run normally but when I change the site from without www to www (in google webmaster). everything is so changed.
Is there something wrong?
Untitled.png
title in google search to be changed, not the name of my website.
and I did not change anything on the dashboard.

does anyone know why this happens?
Thanks.
Looking at your source code I don't see the "- Free shipping", have you removed this from your title since posting?

Google updates take time, changing your title won't reflect on the Google SERP listings immediately.

P.S. "Free Shipping" might be beneficial to keep in your SERP listings, people like "Free" !

Post by prihas » Fri Sep 18, 2015 9:17 am

so how to make the title of my product back to normal?
Like : title product - my store name (not free shipping) on the Google SERP listings
Because I do not sell products with free shipping.

and I submit new link to Google and the results are still the same title
like this
Untitled.png

Untitled.png (9.12 KiB) Viewed 5910 times

Belanja online barang unik dan lucu seperti Lampu Hias, Cetakan Coklat, Frame Foto dll.

Post by labeshops » Fri Sep 18, 2015 11:32 am

No idea where google is getting the "free shipping" thing as I am not seeing it on your store. I would resubmit your sitemap to their webmaster tools to force it to reindex your site faster and contact them for help otherwise.

Running Opencart v3.0.3.2 with multi-stores and the default template from https://www.labeshops.com which has links to all my stores.

Expert Member

Location - Florida, USA

Post by prihas » Tue Sep 22, 2015 9:34 am

Still not work, I've re-submit my site map in google webmaster.

where can I find the code to edit the title product?

because I want to remove the site name in the title of the product.

Post by Khal » Thu Oct 29, 2015 8:07 pm

Totally awesome thread! Thank you all the useful info- I've been trying to work my way through all the suggestions over the past few months.

I have a few questions if you wouldn't mind answering them please:

1. I only have one store with around 60 products. Do I need an advanced sitemap with products, categories, etc? The Sitemap extensions I have looked at all list the benefits for multi stores or large stores. Will my store benefit from this sitemap or will the basic OC be sufficient?

2. I am looking into adding image alt tags for my images so that they show up in Search engines. But the only extension that is compatible my OC2.0.1.1 doesn't work on my website. How important are alt image titles for SEO?

3. I also read you post about adding unique titles to products and have been trying to find an extension to do this. Would something like this do this: http://www.opencart.com/index.php?route ... load_id=39

4. I have been trying to find how to change or add h1 and h2 titles, because these come up as 'missing' when I check my site on SEO sites. How can I add these to my site?

I'm sure I'll have more questions when I go through this thread again! Many thanks :) :)

OC 2.0.1.1

Location - Teesside, UK

Post by labeshops » Thu Oct 29, 2015 8:57 pm

Khal wrote:Totally awesome thread! Thank you all the useful info- I've been trying to work my way through all the suggestions over the past few months.

1. I only have one store with around 60 products. Do I need an advanced sitemap with products, categories, etc? The Sitemap extensions I have looked at all list the benefits for multi stores or large stores. Will my store benefit from this sitemap or will the basic OC be sufficient?

2. I am looking into adding image alt tags for my images so that they show up in Search engines. But the only extension that is compatible my OC2.0.1.1 doesn't work on my website. How important are alt image titles for SEO?

3. I also read you post about adding unique titles to products and have been trying to find an extension to do this. Would something like this do this: http://www.opencart.com/index.php?route ... load_id=39

4. I have been trying to find how to change or add h1 and h2 titles, because these come up as 'missing' when I check my site on SEO sites. How can I add these to my site?

I'm sure I'll have more questions when I go through this thread again! Many thanks :) :)
1. The default OC site map should be fine for just 1 store.

2. Alt tags for images are definitely helpful and if you can do it, do. But if you properly name your images and include keywords in the image name, it should help as well. A lot of stores make the mistake of naming their images something like "h2998.jpg" and that's it. If you make it "h2998-product-keywords-what-it-is.jpg" it can help.

3. If you only have 1 store, you don't need an extension as each product in v2 has a title line (meta tag title) - just make it a good title including keywords you want to rank for.

4. What I did was edit my template product.tpl and add h1 - h6 wrappers for different sections:

<h1><?php echo $heading_title; ?></h1>
prioritizing my content from most important (h1) to least important (h6)
Last edited by labeshops on Thu Oct 29, 2015 9:08 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Running Opencart v3.0.3.2 with multi-stores and the default template from https://www.labeshops.com which has links to all my stores.

Expert Member

Location - Florida, USA

Post by labeshops » Thu Oct 29, 2015 9:01 pm

prihas wrote:Still not work, I've re-submit my site map in google webmaster.

where can I find the code to edit the title product?

because I want to remove the site name in the title of the product.
Looks like you've fixed it since your listings in google now have the name of your store instead of free shipping.

Expert Member

Location - Florida, USA

Post by Khal » Thu Oct 29, 2015 9:41 pm

labeshops wrote:
Khal wrote:Totally awesome thread! Thank you all the useful info- I've been trying to work my way through all the suggestions over the past few months.

1. The default OC site map should be fine for just 1 store.

2. Alt tags for images are definitely helpful and if you can do it, do. But if you properly name your images and include keywords in the image name, it should help as well. A lot of stores make the mistake of naming their images something like "h2998.jpg" and that's it. If you make it "h2998-product-keywords-what-it-is.jpg" it can help.

3. If you only have 1 store, you don't need an extension as each product in v2 has a title line (meta tag title) - just make it a good title including keywords you want to rank for.

4. What I did was edit my template product.tpl and add h1 - h6 wrappers for different sections:

<h1><?php echo $heading_title; ?></h1>
prioritizing my content from most important (h1) to least important (h6)
Hi Labeshops

Thank you so much for the detailed reply and the useful info!

2. Most of my image names are completely irrelevant to the image so I will start by renaming them, until an extension comes out which is compatible.

3. Re title lines, I have just been naming my meta tag title the same as my product name, but now that you have pointed it out, I should really be using relevant keywords here. Duh!

4. In regard to adding the h1-h6 wrappers, please elaborate on where exactly to add these in the product.tpl file, or if you could attach an eg product.tpl that would be fantastic. Apologies if that sounds a bit cheeky but I am a novice at coding and don't want to start adding things without knowing what I'm doing.

Again, many many thanks for your time in giving this useful information. :) :)

OC 2.0.1.1

Location - Teesside, UK

Post by labeshops » Thu Oct 29, 2015 11:23 pm

Khal wrote:4. In regard to adding the h1-h6 wrappers, please elaborate on where exactly to add these in the product.tpl file, or if you could attach an eg product.tpl that would be fantastic. Apologies if that sounds a bit cheeky but I am a novice at coding and don't want to start adding things without knowing what I'm doing.
That is too much code and I haven't switched to v2 yet so cannot give you specifics and it is going to vary with your products and how you are doing your descriptions/product pages.

Just look at your product page and rank the sections in importance in terms of what customers want to know and seo. Naturally, your title would be the most important so it should be 1. If you use a tag line or secondary headline in your description, that would be 2. Price might be 3. If you sell well known brands, the brand might be 4. Description of the product might be 5 or 4 if you the brand isn't well known. If you use keywords for product tags, those might be 6. Or if your categories use good keywords, those might be 6. Or if your products have specific attributes people search for, those might be 6. Basically you are giving your major info a structure so search engines know how to rank it in terms of importance.

Then just edit your product.tpl file and look for calls such as I listed in my previous message that pulls that specific info from your database for that product and add the hx /hx tag as in the sample above. It's pretty straight forward if you look at the code really.

You might then have to edit the h tag classes in your stylesheet so your layout doesn't go strange with the styles applying to that section. Not sure if v2 gives styles for all h tags - I think originally v1.5 just had h1 and h2 and I added the rest of them (been a while since I did this so don't remember).

Expert Member

Location - Florida, USA

Post by Khal » Fri Oct 30, 2015 12:24 am

ust look at your product page and rank the sections in importance in terms of what customers want to know and seo. Naturally, your title would be the most important so it should be 1. If you use a tag line or secondary headline in your description, that would be 2. Price might be 3. If you sell well known brands, the brand might be 4. Description of the product might be 5 or 4 if you the brand isn't well known. If you use keywords for product tags, those might be 6. Or if your categories use good keywords, those might be 6. Or if your products have specific attributes people search for, those might be 6. Basically you are giving your major info a structure so search engines know how to rank it in terms of importance.
Thank you again for the detailed response.

I have looked in my product.tpl file and I already have h1-h4 tags defined. h5 and h6 are not there. So I don't know why SEO checking sites say that H1 and H2 tags are missing from my website.

Anyway, I feel a bit silly now, but I know your detailed solution will help many other people on here.

Thank you :)

OC 2.0.1.1

Location - Teesside, UK

Post by labeshops » Fri Oct 30, 2015 12:55 am

Those checker sites don't always get things right :)

Expert Member

Location - Florida, USA

Post by digibrand » Mon Nov 09, 2015 11:42 am

Nowadays SEO is more hard to rank and the meta tags are not so important it's useless .Opencart is Seo friendly

Post by labeshops » Mon Nov 09, 2015 8:16 pm

digibrand wrote:Nowadays SEO is more hard to rank and the meta tags are not so important it's useless .Opencart is Seo friendly
H1 - h6 metas are still used in seo. Meta keywords aren't so much, but some things still are. Here is a very good, recent article about how to use them properly. http://www.hobo-web.co.uk/headers/ which actually explains it better than I did above. lol

Expert Member

Location - Florida, USA

Post by sharpme » Mon Nov 16, 2015 11:37 am

Hi,

This is a good tips indeed, but for freshers i would suggest to go for the low competition keywords. In fact, i would suggest to go for the long tail keywords.

If the forum or site is not about the high competitive niche then you can use broad keywords as well.

thanks

Location - india

Post by RosyAnwood » Thu Jan 28, 2016 6:32 pm

labeshops wrote:
genegrin wrote:Oh, i forgot to ask you. Did you solve an issuel with the title and description tagles too? Or every page has the same ones like the main page?
Every page doesn't have the same title and description - or shouldn't. By default the title is your products title + site title and the description is whatever you type into the meta description box for that item, so not sure what you mean. I added extra key words in the header file after <?php echo $title> - Keywords you want (may not be the exact code - going from memory on this one).
Hi

Here I am sharing some more details Regarding Meta Tags:

Meta tags are used to define few attributes of a website. The main categories that need to be optimized are Title and Description Tags. Here are a few examples.

<title> Primary Keyword - Secondary Keyword | Brand Name </title>
<meta name="description" content=" Describe the content of the page appears here with Brand Name, Keyword or Keyword variation" >

Meta Title: The Title tag encloses the clickable text that appears in the search engine results page. It is very important to put your careful attention and focus in framing each and every single word of the Title tag.

Apart from using compelling words, the length of the meta title should also be taken into consideration. It should not exceed 60 characters with spaces otherwise the exceeded characters will be automatically removed in the SERPs. Also it would be great if we use our brand name in the Meta Title to create an authority.

Meta Description: It is important that the meta description of the webpage should lie between 150-160 characters with spaces otherwise the exceeded characters will be automatically removed in the SERPs.

Here are important points that need to be considered while composing Meta Title and Meta Description:

a) Keyword optimized: Meta Title and Meta Description should be keyword optimized i.e. the Meta title and Meta description should include the keyword that we are targeting.
b) Brand Optimized: Meta Title and Meta Description should be Brand optimized.
c) Call to Action: Both Meta title and Meta description should be such that it makes the user click on the link of your website.
d) Relevant: The Meta title and Meta description should be relevant. It should be according to what the page is all about.

Hopefully this information can help you. :)

Post by labeshops » Sat Jan 30, 2016 1:13 am

I agree on everything except your comments on brand.

Unless you are selling a well-known brand people are searching for - like Nike, Louboutin, etc - I would suggest not bothering to put it in your title tag and replace it with a keyword.

Using the example I started this thread with, gothiplus, even though Demonia is a well known brand in the niche, I find I get more traction out of using "- Gothic Shoes" or "- Gothic Boots" at the end of the title. I do use the brand name as a subhead on the page, but not as the main page title.

But this is where your keyword research comes in. See what people are searching for and if there are a high volume of searches for a brand you sell, include it in the title. If not, use a keyword or 2 that they are searching for.

Expert Member

Location - Florida, USA

Post by newbie_opencart » Fri Apr 01, 2016 7:08 pm

Hello awesome thread, as i find myself struggling a little bit with the google ranking.

I changed a url to be more seo optimized but I shared the old one in some places throughout the internet? Is there a easy way I can redirect them to the new one? And does the change affect google crawl because then they wont find this link and have to find the new one... I see people talking about a redirect in the htaccess or canonical url but how does it actually work? does this mean i have to insert manually in the code all the links that should be linking to the new one?...

Post by kabirthapar » Fri Apr 01, 2016 8:43 pm

If you need to change the URL of a page as it is shown in search engine results, we recommend that you use a server-side 301 redirect. This is the best way to ensure that users and search engines are directed to the correct page. The 301 status code means that a page has permanently moved to a new location.

301 Redirect code to be uploaded in htaccess
<.cfheader statuscode="301" statustext="Moved permanently">
<.cfheader name="Location" value="http://www.new-url.com">

Hope this might help you in some way. :)