Post by rph » Thu Jul 07, 2011 2:17 pm

Xsecrets wrote:I have to agree adding CDN support is not a bad idea. Amazon S3 or Rackspace Cloud Files is going to go down much less often than your host whatever it may be is.
Amazon just had a major 48 hour outage a few months ago. And as someone who worked for a company that was really pushing cloud computing I'd advise a little bit of skepticism; you would not believe how cobbled together some cloud services are.

-Ryan

rph
Expert Member

Location - Lincoln, Nebraska

Post by mystifier » Thu Jul 07, 2011 7:21 pm

A relationship between multiple product options that allows stock control would dwarf any other requirement.

Q. How many large jumpers in stock?
A. 28

Q. How many blue jumpers in stock?
A. 34

Q. How many large/blue jumpers in stock?
A. I have no idea

is a complete show-stopper for me.

Free v1.4.9 Extensions: Default Specials | Improved Search | Customer Activity Report | Customer Groups | Royal Mail With Handling | Improved Product Page | Random Products | Stock Report | All Products

Post by OSWorX » Thu Jul 07, 2011 7:42 pm

rph wrote:
Xsecrets wrote:I have to agree adding CDN support is not a bad idea. Amazon S3 or Rackspace Cloud Files is going to go down much less often than your host whatever it may be is.
Amazon just had a major 48 hour outage a few months ago. And as someone who worked for a company that was really pushing cloud computing I'd advise a little bit of skepticism; you would not believe how cobbled together some cloud services are.
I am sorry for the following, but for me as an European using an external storage (either for images or other data) is definitely no option.

Why?

2 major stopper:
1. every data which can be stored on a server owned / operated by an american company has to handle out their data if government is asking for (see partiot act)
2. outage can happen on every server (even it is a cloud based environement). But while this provider does NOT guarentee an uptime of a minimum of 99,996 % per year (!) per SLA it is not a good provider (for a shop, for a CMS maybe)

Better to have all my data on my own server with a serious provider in the background.
Better to develop an easy to handle solution for splitting data/images to several locations (on this server) as a 'balanced' solution.

Full Stack Web Developer :: Dedicated OpenCart Development & Support DACH Region
Contact for Custom Work / Fast Support.

Guru Member

Location - Austria

Post by mystifier » Thu Jul 07, 2011 8:27 pm

It would be great to be able to enable/disable tax at product option level.

For example, VAT only applies to certain sizes of children's clothes.

Free v1.4.9 Extensions: Default Specials | Improved Search | Customer Activity Report | Customer Groups | Royal Mail With Handling | Improved Product Page | Random Products | Stock Report | All Products

Post by Qphoria » Thu Jul 07, 2011 10:34 pm

OSWorX wrote: 2 major stopper:
1. every data which can be stored on a server owned / operated by an american company has to handle out their data if government is asking for (see partiot act)
2. outage can happen on every server (even it is a cloud based environement). But while this provider does NOT guarentee an uptime of a minimum of 99,996 % per year (!) per SLA it is not a good provider (for a shop, for a CMS maybe)

Better to have all my data on my own server with a serious provider in the background.
Better to develop an easy to handle solution for splitting data/images to several locations (on this server) as a 'balanced' solution.
But thats your problem due to your anti-political views and paranoia.. most people don't worry about having their ipod images viewed.

Administrator

Post by sonico67 » Thu Jul 07, 2011 11:46 pm

Daniel wrote: (Don't add features that your clients have requested and you don't know how to to develop them. You will be waiting a very long time.)
That's if you even get to them.

Anyway, right now I can only think of these

Autohide option for any category or subcategory which do not have any product.
Bulk Product/Category Import/Export
Show thumbnails of subcategories on parent category page like OC 1.4 (there's already a list on the categories module)

Post by marcelwoo » Fri Jul 08, 2011 2:04 pm

A hyped feature request....
Change the default image manager to a better one :)
Perhaps a coder does not know how inconvenient the current image manager is, but... if you were a store owner, well, it was a pain that you had to click soooo many times to load an image(Even if you have uploaded all the images via a FTP client).

This Rapid Image Uploader is a better choice, but I have no clue how I can upgrade it to fit 1.5x:

http://forum.opencart.com/viewtopic.php?f=121&t=29748

Daniel, pls consider this feature request.

"We help each other to grow". That's the opencart community!

All free mods
Home Based Ebay business Opportunity(not ads)

Post by andrewmclagan » Sun Jul 10, 2011 10:06 pm

As someone who is currently developing a number of themes for opencart i would like to see the availability of variables to all template files. Maybe wrap calls to variables into functions e.g. a function such as get_price() would return a formatted price depending on the variables passed to the function.

At the moment variables are not available for all template files limiting the options for themeing in general. CMSes such as wordpress offer such availability through function wrapper calls.

Post by Xsecrets » Sun Jul 10, 2011 10:46 pm

andrewmclagan wrote:As someone who is currently developing a number of themes for opencart i would like to see the availability of variables to all template files. Maybe wrap calls to variables into functions e.g. a function such as get_price() would return a formatted price depending on the variables passed to the function.

At the moment variables are not available for all template files limiting the options for themeing in general. CMSes such as wordpress offer such availability through function wrapper calls.
That's just not really feasible. A CMS in general is a much less complicated system than a ecommerce script. I am curious though where you are trying to put a price that returns a product, but doesn't return the price with it.

OpenCart commercial mods and development http://spotonsolutions.net
Layered Navigation
Shipment Tracking
Vehicle Year/Make/Model Filter

Guru Member

Location - FL US

Post by Qphoria » Mon Jul 11, 2011 2:10 am

Xsecrets wrote:
andrewmclagan wrote:As someone who is currently developing a number of themes for opencart i would like to see the availability of variables to all template files. Maybe wrap calls to variables into functions e.g. a function such as get_price() would return a formatted price depending on the variables passed to the function.

That's just not really feasible. A CMS in general is a much less complicated system than a ecommerce script. I am curious though where you are trying to put a price that returns a product, but doesn't return the price with it.
Well I think somethings are feasible.. There is a mod by justinV called "OpenCart RESTful server API" which I think it a great idea. It allows you to interface with the cart using url calls, similar to how http://api.hostip.net works. So you can get product details remotely from an api call.
More info here:
http://opencart.hostjars.com/rest-api

That concept used internally with something like a "catalog.php" class in the library folder could have things like:

Code: Select all

getProductInfo($product_id, $field)
getCategoryInfo($category_id, $field)
getManufacturerInfo($manufacturer_id, $field)
getInformationInfo($information, $field)
etc
Then you could do

Code: Select all

<?php echo $this->catalog->getProductInfo('36', 'sku'); ?>
<?php echo $this->catalog->getProductInfo('36', 'price'); ?>
<?php echo $this->catalog->getProductInfo('36', 'location'); ?>
<?php echo $this->catalog->getProductInfo('36', 'quantity'); ?>

Administrator

Post by Xsecrets » Mon Jul 11, 2011 2:16 am

well I suppose you could do something like that, and I certainly see the value in a restfull api, but I'm still curious as to where you have a product, but no price. Also you will never have every variable available everywhere in the cart. People come over from cms's and expect things to be the same, but it's just not going to happen no ecommerce app is written like the cms's because ecommerce is simply more complicated than cms.

Layered Navigation
Shipment Tracking

Guru Member

Location - FL US

Post by atulagarwal56 » Mon Jul 11, 2011 6:46 pm

In my store I use an auto-coupon which is generated and emailed to every new registered user. From my experience, it helps a lot. Perhaps this can be included as a default functionality?

Location - India

Post by marcelwoo » Mon Jul 11, 2011 7:39 pm

Why not have this little useful mod included?
Batch Tracking Number Updating:
http://forum.opencart.com/viewtopic.php?f=119&t=35584

I have tried it and find it a life saver!

"We help each other to grow". That's the opencart community!

All free mods
Home Based Ebay business Opportunity(not ads)

Post by computerbar » Mon Jul 11, 2011 8:19 pm

My suggestions

Extra fields in Product which specify stepped discount for such item and can be excluded from stepped discounts.

i.e
sweet bag:
order over 50= 5% discount (applied automatically in cart)
over over 100=10% discount etc

machines:
Excluded from discount offered as above.

thanks

computerbar
Last edited by computerbar on Thu Jul 14, 2011 3:42 am, edited 1 time in total.

O-O

Post by cashman9 » Tue Jul 12, 2011 7:34 am

My suggestion is to optimize the process of orders fulfillment. From the point of receiving the order to fulfillment, so:

1. Batch generate invoices
2. Batch printing invoices
3. Batch update status
4. Integration with other utilities such as Stamps.com, Endicia and more.

Post by Begetan » Tue Jul 12, 2011 7:39 am

Need more localisation:

1. Every strings for human must have language_id attribute. For example - geo zones names, countries names and so on.

2. But array of X geo-zones * Y languages looks like compleetely unreal! So we really need language fallback to manage it.

3. Most of localazied shops works in standart macro - region, for example "Europe Union", "Ex-Ussr country", "Middle East" an so on.

I thing it's good idea to add macro-region filter for shop management. Just one click and we got reasonable amount of data in country and regions lists.

-----

And we definitly need more handy backup/restore tool! Try to make backup of just only 2-3 tables and you will see!
Need big resizeble window ( up to browser size) and "selct/unselect all" option.

-------

Change please format of SQL backup files:

Instead of
INSERT INTO `country` (`country_id`, `name`, `iso_code_2`, `iso_code_3`, `address_format`, `postcode_required`, `status`) VALUES ('1', 'Афганистан', 'AF', 'AFG', '', '0', '0');
INSERT INTO `country` (`country_id`, `name`, `iso_code_2`, `iso_code_3`, `address_format`, `postcode_required`, `status`) VALUES ('2', 'Албания', 'AL', 'ALB', '', '0', '0');

should be:

INSERT INTO `country` (`country_id`, `name`, `iso_code_2`, `iso_code_3`, `address_format`, `postcode_required`, `status`) VALUES
(1, 'Афганистан', 'AF', 'AFG', '', 0, 1),
(2, 'Албания', 'AL', 'ALB', '', 0, 1),

Thank you for great prosuct - OpenCart. Let's make it the best international shopping solution!

Post by Maansy » Tue Jul 12, 2011 7:26 pm

atulagarwal56 wrote:In my store I use an auto-coupon which is generated and emailed to every new registered user. From my experience, it helps a lot. Perhaps this can be included as a default functionality?
Is this feature a custom mod for you or it's available for purchase? You can answer in pm if you wish. Thanks

ALL Templates :: 1.5.1+ Templates :: 50%-75% PRICE DROP ONLY at OpencartStuff.com

Post by C.Birch » Wed Jul 13, 2011 1:42 am

Hi,

I think it would be nice if a system was added that would let users upload additional images to a product, alot of online stores have started to do this now, where users can add images of images they own and so on, the likes of amazon do this and its something i would personally like to see.

As you can guess store admins would need to be able to check any images uploaded first before they go live in the store.

Post by Julian » Wed Jul 13, 2011 2:00 am

HTML5 and CSS3 powered template would be cool.

Post by Xsecrets » Wed Jul 13, 2011 3:06 am

Julian wrote:HTML5 and CSS3 powered template would be cool.
well that's certainly something that can be done by a third party, but if it was put in by default there would be a huge uproar. If you look around the forums you'll see that there are still alot of people here who complain about IE6 issues even stupid ones like the admin not looking right in ie6, so if you went and completely broke the layout for all older browsers I think there would be massive blowback.

Layered Navigation
Shipment Tracking

Guru Member

Location - FL US