Post by glolar » Thu Feb 03, 2011 3:51 pm

Has anyone else experienced this problem when customers use the Credit Card option in PayPal to pay for a purchase:

PayPal gives customers the option to use their PayPal account to pay for a purchase, or PayPal gives them the option to use a Credit Card.

I have my Auto Return URL set in PayPal as http://www.glolar.com/thanks.html.

OpenCart passes http://www.glolar.com/store/index.php?r ... ut/success to PayPal as the return URL, which overrides the return URL set in PayPal (I verified this).

PayPal does return my customers to http://www.glolar.com/store/index.php?r ... ut/success when they use their PayPal account to pay, but NOT when they use the Credit Card option in PayPal to pay.

When a customer chooses the Credit Cart option in PayPal to pay for the purchase, PayPal returns the customer to a PayPal page that says "Sorry, your last action could not be completed ...".

The transaction IS completed, and I get the customer's money, and the customer gets the email verifying his purchase. The customer just doesn't get returned to my return URL of http://www.glolar.com/store/index.php?r ... ut/success. Also, the cart is not cleared. It still has the selected product(s) in the cart when the customer navigates manually back to my site.

Since this works with a PayPal payment, but not with a Credit Card payment thru PayPal, the problem has to be in PayPal, doesn't it?

Has anyone else experienced this problem?

Thanks.

Increase Your Child's I.Q.
iPad Wallpapers
Turtle & Tortoise Screen Savers

Location - San Diego, CA

Post by fido-x » Fri Feb 04, 2011 11:10 pm

glolar wrote:...I have my Auto Return URL set in PayPal as http://www.glolar.com/thanks.html.

OpenCart passes http://www.glolar.com/store/index.php?r ... ut/success to PayPal as the return URL, which overrides the return URL set in PayPal (I verified this).
Setting your Auto Return URL at PayPal to the same that OpenCart uses, ie. http://www.glolar.com/store/index.php?r ... ut/success should fix it.

Modules for OpenCart 2.3.0.2
Homepage Module [Free - since OpenCart 0.7.7]
Multistore Extensions
Store Manager Multi-Vendor/Multi-Store management tool

If you're not living on the edge ... you're taking up too much space!

Expert Member

Location - Tasmania, Australia

Post by glolar » Mon Feb 07, 2011 11:01 am

fido-x,

I cannot try that right now, as I have more than one website (including my opencart site) using my PayPal account. I don't want my non-OpenCart site returning to that URL. After I consolidate my two sites, I will try this.

In the meantime, I have notified PayPal, and they have acknowledged this as a problem that they are "working on". No ETA on when they will have it fixed. I will probably have my two websites integrated by then :)

Thanks for the help.

iPad Wallpapers

Location - San Diego, CA

Post by glolar » Wed Feb 16, 2011 4:12 am

fido-x,

I set my return URL to http://www.glolar.com/store/index.php?r ... ut/success in PayPal, as you suggested, and it still does not return me to that page (after using a Credit Card for payment. works fine if I pay with PayPal).

Hopefully, PayPal will fix this soon.

I cannot believe I am the only one to experience this problem !?

iPad Wallpapers

Location - San Diego, CA

Post by Qphoria » Wed Feb 16, 2011 4:17 am

glolar wrote: In the meantime, I have notified PayPal, and they have acknowledged this as a problem that they are "working on". No ETA on when they will have it fixed. I will probably have my two websites integrated by then :)
Well I think this says it all. It's in paypal's hands now.

Administrator

Post by peteVA » Wed Feb 16, 2011 8:29 am

I've got my IPN set to a CubeCart site I've had for 2 1/2 years or more. It also is used by half a dozen other carts, including 2 OC and my hosting site, as well as an AgoraCart, a couple of Avactis Carts and who knows what else.

Not once, ever, have I had a problem getting paypal payment advice notices, or cart order emails with any of them. In fact, I wonder about all the BS problems I see people having with PayPal. It's always worked exactly as it should for me with everything I ever used it on.

With one exception and that is the original CubeCart site. There it will get hung about once a quarter or so and if the BUYER does not clear their cache, it will screw up orders for days. Main reason I'm leaving CC, as it has to do with the sequence they use for checkout when someone starts to use PP and then leaves. The problem is with CC, they admit it and have a "fix" that is a "wannabe fix".

I'm not saying what your problem is, I don't know, but my experience and what I have read a number of places tells me that as long as you have ANY IPN address set up, it will function properly. I can assure you it is not taking my buyers from other sites to my CubeCart site after payment, though that is where the IPN is directed.

I am no expert on any of it, and I am definitely not a coder of any sort, but I know it works fine for me on several OC carts and the IPN address is my CubeCart site.

A Trusted Wholesale Dropshipper
Web Hosting Under $ 5.00 Month! FREE Shopping Carts!
25,000+ Real Wholesale & Dropship Sources!

Post by glolar » Wed Feb 16, 2011 8:52 am

peteVA,

First of all, what is IPN? My post is discussing the PayPal AutoReturn setting (the URL where customers are supposed to be directed to after they go thru the PayPal purchase process).

I never said I had a problem getting paypal payment advice notices, or cart order emails.

Also, I want to re-iterate that the only problem I am having is when a customer chooses the PayPal payment method in OpenCart, then chooses the option on the PAYPAL screen to pay with a credit card rather than with a PayPal account.

When a customer pays with his PayPal account, he is returned to my OC confirmation page just fine.

Have you tested choosing PayPal as the payment option in OpenCart, but then selecting the option to pay with a credit card when you get to the PayPal screen?

This is not a BS problem. It is real, and it is repeatable (I even had someone else order a product from my site choosing the PayPal shipping method but then choosing the option to pay with a credit card once they are on the PayPal page. Same problem).

Also, I have submitted a trouble ticket to PayPal, and they ADMIT it is a problem.

Thanks.

iPad Wallpapers

Location - San Diego, CA

Post by peteVA » Wed Feb 16, 2011 11:49 am

I'm not saying it is a BS problem, or in your head. I simply said I have had no problem, but if you or paypal has not mentioned IPN, that may be where your problem is. It is Instant Payment Notification, and may be at the seat of your problems.

I told you I am no more than a user, but I have no problem, and people pay all the time with plastic.

look here - https://www.paypal.com/ipn

My only point above was that with one Return URL, set to one now seldom used CubeCart website, I have none of the problems you are having and the Q seemed to think may have to do with 2 sites.

I have over half a dozen sites all doing just as they should with that single Return URL. In the last month I have run 150 sales through one OC site, 40 or so through another, 100+ through an Avactis cart and maybe a couple of dozen through the cubecart site. All with the Return URL set to the cubecart confirmed.php page.

So, I am saying the Return URL page should not be a part of your problem.

Just passing on my experience, it's up to you to make use of it or flush it.

I've never used the sandbox, never tested anything, other than run a sale myself. With any of them.

Post by glolar » Wed Feb 16, 2011 1:28 pm

peteVa,

I am not using IPN (I verified that it is disabled in my PayPal profile), so that is not the root of my problem.

I'll ask again:

When you have run a transaction yourself, have you ever selected the PayPal shipping method from your OC site, but then selected the "Pay with Credit Card" option once you get to the PayPal login screen? (The link says something like "Don't have a PayPal account? Pay with your debit or credit card as a PayPal guest").

If you do this, you will see the same problem I am seeing.

I have no problem with the return URL as long as a customer actually logs into PayPal and pays with his PayPal account. The problem occurs when the customer pays with a debit/credit card as a PayPal guest.

Thanks again.

iPad Wallpapers

Location - San Diego, CA

Post by peteVA » Thu Feb 17, 2011 12:24 am

Sorry, missed the part about using their shipping method. I wouldn't consider it, didn't even know they had one.

As Roseanne Roseannadanna would have said - "Never mind."

Post by glolar » Thu Feb 17, 2011 12:48 am

peteVA,

Yeah, the only reason it is important to me right now is that I don't have a separate payment processor for credit cards on my site. PayPal is the portal for my customers, whether they are paying with PayPal or a credit/debit card.

And the link to use a credit card is kinda buried, so it is easy to miss.

Thanks.

iPad Wallpapers

Location - San Diego, CA

Post by Qphoria » Thu Feb 17, 2011 12:52 am

Paypal Express has an option to force the landing page to be Credit Card. Perhaps that will do what you need

Administrator

Post by peteVA » Thu Feb 17, 2011 1:52 am

glolar wrote:peteVA,

Yeah, the only reason it is important to me right now is that I don't have a separate payment processor for credit cards on my site. PayPal is the portal for my customers, whether they are paying with PayPal or a credit/debit card.

And the link to use a credit card is kinda buried, so it is easy to miss.

Thanks.
I guess I'm still missing something, but PayPal Standard is all I have and they can do plastic with no problem.

Apparently it's their shipping that is causing the problem.

Post by glolar » Thu Feb 17, 2011 11:27 am

peteVA,

I know that PayPal takes plastic, but have you seen the PayPal login page that OC customers are taken to? The link for the "Pay with Credit Card" option is hard to see, unless you look very carefully. Not ideal. Ideally, I would have a PayPal payment option in OC, and a separate payment method for credit cards (i.e., a PayMent Processor like WorldPay, etc.).

Qphoria,

I don't see a "PayPal Express" option under Extenstions/Payment (but there is a "PayPal Standard"), so I assume the setting you are talking about is in PayPal, and not in OpenCart?

I have a PayPal Payments Standard account. Any idea off the top of your head where in PayPal this setting is to change the landing/start page when the customer leaves OC and goes to PayPal?

I would like to land my OC customers on the PayPal page that says "Choose a Way to Pay" (the screen AFTER the PayPal login page with the obscure link that I have been talking about).

Thanks in advance!

iPad Wallpapers

Location - San Diego, CA

Post by Qphoria » Thu Feb 17, 2011 1:10 pm

I'm talking about Paypal Express

By default paypal standard takes you to the paypal login with option to click to use credit card
paypal express offers an alternative to swap the two and make credit card the default but give option for paypal login

Administrator

Post by glolar » Thu Feb 17, 2011 1:37 pm

Qphoria,

OH! Now I know what you are talking about ... PayPal express is YOUR custom module for OpenCart ... why didn't you say so? :)

Seriously, though, I think I am going to get this just for the option to make the credit card page the default. I am looking at the images for your module, and I have a couple of questions before I buy:

1. I assume API UserName and API Password are just my PayPal account username (email address) and password?
2. What is the API Signature field?
3. I don't see anywhere in the image where you can make the credit card page the default. Where is that done?
4. Do you have the URL of a site that uses this module, so I can walk thru it so I can see what the user will experience?
5. In one of the comments on your site, you say "Shipping is handled after the customer logs in and returns to your store." Do you mean after he logs into PayPal and returns to your store?
6. After logging into PayPal and returning to your store, I assume the customer still has the chance to back out (i.e., not purchase)?

Thanks in advance.

P.S. everybody, I have already bought a number of Qphoria's OpenCart modules, and they are well worth the money!

iPad Wallpapers

Location - San Diego, CA

Post by Qphoria » Thu Feb 17, 2011 1:53 pm

glolar wrote: 1. I assume API UserName and API Password are just my PayPal account username (email address) and password?
2. What is the API Signature field?
3. I don't see anywhere in the image where you can make the credit card page the default. Where is that done?
4. Do you have the URL of a site that uses this module, so I can walk thru it so I can see what the user will experience?
1. These are different. You set these up in your paypal account in the Profile->API Settings (more info)
2. Same as above
3. This is a single line you can add to the code. It's not a configurable option yet, but easy to add
4. My site (sig). You can use it to checkout while purchasing it

Administrator

Post by glolar » Thu Feb 17, 2011 1:54 pm

Q,

I added a couple of questions using the Edit feature, after you replied. Sorry, but could you answer those? Thanks.

Also, I logged into my PayPal account, and there is no API Settings under the Profile link.

iPad Wallpapers

Location - San Diego, CA

Post by glolar » Tue Feb 22, 2011 10:19 am

Qphoric,

I talked to PayPal, and I can change my PayPal account from Web Payments Standard to PayPal Express. That won't effect my customers at all, will it? In other words, as long as they have any type of PayPal account, they will be able to check out using my PayPal Express checkout? I won't have to offer a PayPal checkout method AND a PayPal Express checkout method (like you do on your site)?

If you get a moment, could you revisit my last post, because I asked a couple of additional questions using the Edit feature on this forum.

Thanks.

iPad Wallpapers

Location - San Diego, CA

Post by Qphoria » Wed Feb 23, 2011 10:21 am

you don't have to "change" anything.. all paypal accounts can do paypal standard or paypal express

Administrator