Post by speedingorange » Wed May 26, 2010 10:59 pm

Sorry this is a question specific to a 3rd party mod.

I read the info page and it wasn't clear weather or not you could use this mod to compliment weight based shipping.

What I need to achieve is 99% of products shipped by the weight based method standard to opencart (or a similar feature from within a module?).

Two or three items that we sell are excessively large need to be shipped via a set fee. IE £70.00 They are not very heavy, but big.( hence the 'shipping by product' module)

But, as this fee is more than the weight based shipping I need to make sure people cannot choose the weight based module and are forced to pay the cost of the individual item.

I also need to make some items free to ship, again another reason to go for the 'shipping by product'.

Hope this makes sense....

Not sure how it would work though if someone bought a priced by product item and a weight based item at the same time, again it would want to show only the priced by product shipping cost.

Buy a "normal item" = weight based shipping
Buy a "Large item" = Set figure
Buy a "special Item" = Free shipping
Buy a "large item" + "normal" = Set Figure
Buy a "special item" and "normal item" = free shipping
Buy a "large item" + "special item" = set figure
Orders over Figure x = free shipping.

If the Shipping by Product module isn't right for this can anyone give me an idea of what would be capable?

Cheers
James

Post by Qphoria » Wed May 26, 2010 11:07 pm

Shipping by product typically assumes that each product will have its own shipping price. For products that don't have a specific shipping price then the price of that product won't be added to the total fee. There is no easy way to split the costs to have 2 items use by product and another item to use a pro-rated rate of another type.

Administrator

Post by speedingorange » Thu May 27, 2010 9:36 pm

the only way i can think of doing this then would be to make the "large" items a weight well outside a scope acheiveable with normal products and use the weight based shipping module to achieve the right price?

Still not sure how to achieve free shipping though on a single item. unless i gave them a weight of zero? and a price of zero for items that weight zero... i suppose that could work?

Post by vkaltchev » Fri Jun 04, 2010 12:38 am

Hi James:

I'm having a similar problem. My store has order subtotal based shipping (done with the Zone Shipping Module). However I have 14 products in the store which are with free shipping. For this reason I got the Shipping by Product Module but I can't make it do the trick. Did you have any luck fixing your free shipping products?
Cheers,
Valentina

Post by speedingorange » Fri Jun 04, 2010 1:10 am

I fixed it in a fassion, I used weight based shipping,

Items with 0kg weight I set to free shipping, items over 0.01 kg use normal weight based shipping.

Makes free shipping on a product do able.

Any products you want to offer free shipping on set the weight to 0kg.

Post by vkaltchev » Sat Jun 05, 2010 3:48 pm

Hi James:

Is your customer base international? As far as free shipping on certain products your suggestion is working great (for the first time I see shipping "0"), thank you so much. However, my customer base is USA and I don't know how to set up weight base shipping for the rest of my products to all the different states - the shipping rates for one and the same weight differ for different states. e.g. a pillow sent to Utah and California has the same weight but a different shipping rate. I either reached a point of total confusion or there is really no way around it - and no shipping, no store :(

Any suggestion will be greatly appreciated.

Cheers,
Valentina

P.S. Perhaps we should suggest "free shipping for a product" to be included in the next OC version.

Post by speedingorange » Sat Jun 05, 2010 4:52 pm

which version are you runing?

as far as i know you can set the pricing by weight per region in the very latest version that i have installed 1.47?

Post by vkaltchev » Sun Jun 06, 2010 1:22 am

I have 1.4.7 - however, my products' set up, as it is right now, does not support that. Here is an example: "Wool Comforter" is set as one product, under which I have the option of diff. sizes - from Twin to CA King - and there is quite a weight difference between the options. So to use weight I either have to offer every different size as a separate product (almost creating a new store) or to average the weight per product.

Is you pricing by weight per region based on UPS prices or USPS? (do I still make sense :-[ ?)

Cheers,
Valentina