Post by udi@ertinet » Mon Aug 07, 2017 10:07 pm

Hello

We need to implement accessibility standard AA support (WCAG Section 508) for our site wavexpress.co.il.
We used the wave tools to evaluate the accessibility of journal templates and find out that they are few errors and alerts that need to fix.
The journal team answer was " that may require different markup code, which is not related to the theme. We rely on the Opencart structure – Journal is not a website in it of itself, it’s a framework which allows you to build upon the existing platform structure, which is Opencart. You can test the default demo too, should have a similar markup structure"

Can please check the issue out and advice us how to adjest the site to feet the accessibility standard that people with disabilities will have the ability to use our site ?

Thanks and best regards
UDI ERTINET

Post by IP_CAM » Wed Aug 09, 2017 9:25 am

Well, if your paid Extension Supplier Journal-Themes is not able to assist, I doubt, that
someone else will be able to.

Especially on a Theme, consisting of 500 Header-Lines :crazy: already, with a giant amount
of Journal Custom Code, Scripts + Styles, before even something starts to display, it's nearly
impossible, to assist, if one does not use exactly the same Theme-Extension and OC-Version,
besides of requiring good Journal Coder- Knowledge as well, to know, where to change what.

And those who have this knowledge, are usually not around here much, to assist others
for free, it's a paid Custom Theme Extension after all. And likely not even bought trough
the OC Sales Channel, I assume, so, it's 'technically' not even an OC-related Problem.
Just to have replied, so you don't feel beeing ignored... ;)
Good Luck!
Ernie
PS. Nothing personal, just plain information!

My Github OC Site: https://github.com/IP-CAM
5'200 + FREE OC Extensions, on the World's largest private Github OC Repository Archive Site.

Legendary Member

Location - Switzerland

Post by udi@ertinet » Wed Aug 09, 2017 3:04 pm

Hi

Thank you for your answer.
I've post this important issue in OpenCart forum after I've checked with accessibility utility and find out that almost all the accessibility problems that I've found in Journal themes occurred also OpenCart default template.
I'm not a developer, but It seems that Journal relay on the OpenCart functionalities on some of their adjustment and I believe that the OpenCart experts team are able to solve it.
I think it's important to make OpenCart support AA standard and allow 25% of the customers witch have disabilities to use our platform not only for moral and regulatory aspects. It will be paid off economically and expend the distribution of the system.
I'm sure that After OpenCart will make the necessary adjustment, other vendors will follow.
There are a lot of ecommerce solution but none of them said that they will support accessibility standard. It will awesome that OpenCart will be the first one.

Best regards
Udi ERTINET

Post by Burt65 » Wed Aug 09, 2017 9:19 pm

Hi Udi...
If I understood correctly, I think you need to re-read DA (Journal Theme developer) reply to you and actually understand what it meant...

Journal is a Theme and it can only work within Opencart frame. Whatever the second does, the first will follow...

I had a bit of a look at your "accessibility standard AA support (WCAG Section 508)" and it seems to me that most of this functionality can be already achieve with most browser default setting or popular add-on already available. You don't really mention which particular function, as in fonts problems, speech problems or colours contrast, you are after....

With Journal and any other most decent theme, you can make your site look what ever you want like (within reason). You can change background and foreground colours, fonts colour style and size and even use graphical button instead of text. As far as having the text read back to you there are already software company out there providing this feature, that is not really related to a single web page but to any website you access...

If you could be more specific in your particular requirements, maybe we could help you or point you in the right direction

Regards
Burt

Over 95% of all computer problems can be traced back to the interface between the keyboard and the chair...

Location - Oz

Post by Counting Pounds » Sat Mar 27, 2021 4:11 pm

Did anyone / Does anyone have any knowledge about these WCAG standards? I am doing a quote for a client who have mandated WCAG compliance. I plan to buy the necessary themes and a few extensions. I'll be using paid support (vendors yet to be chosen), but if I can't get through WCAG compliance I get blown away before they even look at the submission. This is for use in the UK and the UK government will not allow any eCommerce websites in the Public Sector that fail to meet WCAG. This project needs to reach AA standard for WCAG 2.1.

Since this basically, deliver to WCAG or have the quote binned, if I can't find WCAG compliant solution/theme for OpenCart I need to find a new platform