Post by straightlight » Mon Mar 04, 2019 12:49 am

xxvirusxx wrote:
Mon Mar 04, 2019 12:03 am
For me is much better 2.3.0.2 with SEO code from 3.0.2.0 than 3.0.2.0, 30.3.1 and not all time what is new is good.
Granted, new may not be good all the time. However, sticking to the old versions where unpatched situations still occurs ain't making things any easier as compared to new releases that are reported with service requests submitted by contributed users indicating where changes needs to be done. We have to agree at some point that falling back constantly on new OC releases is not a lack of development but rather a lack of revisions. Some may be good, some may be less preferred by the community. I am, however, referring and focusing on bugfixes from features that were already implemented in the first place.
Last edited by straightlight on Mon Mar 04, 2019 12:52 am, edited 1 time in total.

Dedication and passion goes to those who are able to push and merge a project.

Regards,
Straightlight
Programmer / Opencart Tester

Legendary Member

Location - Canada, ON

Post by xxvirusxx » Mon Mar 04, 2019 12:51 am

I hope after 2-3 fails on releases, maybe and maybe 3.1.x...when is release is more stable than 3.0.2.0, 3.0.2.1, 3.0.3.1...

Upgrade Service | OC 2.3.0.2 PHP 8 | My Custom OC 3.0.3.8 | Buy me a beer

Expert Member

Location - România

Post by straightlight » Mon Mar 04, 2019 12:53 am

xxvirusxx wrote:
Mon Mar 04, 2019 12:51 am
I hope after 2-3 fails on releases, maybe and maybe 3.1.x...when is release is more stable than 3.0.2.0, 3.0.2.1, 3.0.3.1...
We can't expect much if only the decimal numbers are going to increase without fixing past encountered issues among several releases. :/

Regards,
Straightlight

Legendary Member

Location - Canada, ON

Post by IP_CAM » Mon Mar 04, 2019 12:26 pm

Well, if some Fellows really care about a latest 'tested Code' of
a favoured OC Version, Github is waiting for you, free of charge!
Create your Repository of whatever OC you like, and keep it to
latest Spec's. It would be as easy as that, to make a lot of People
happy, and existing popular OC Versions even more secure. :D
One sure won't get rich, but famous, and even that sometimes helps.

But that's, what makes it all so complicated, since such Systems,
based on 'shared' individual Wisdom and Help, likely one day end
up in a one-way road. As I recall, from beeing around in the digital
world for quite a while. But if some 'Spirit' exists, like in Russia, one
could do the same as the Fellow with his latest OC v.2.3.0.2.5 ;)
https://opencart.pro/reliz/
At least, as long as one doesn't care about Competitors, likely also
trying to profit from such a nice In-Version-Update Service too...

Nothing personal, just blah blah
Ernie
PS. I would too, if I could, but with XP, it's a rather complicated
matter, to still be able to access Github, to upload my Code. :crazy:

My Github OC Site: https://github.com/IP-CAM
5'200 + FREE OC Extensions, on the World's largest private Github OC Repository Archive Site.

Legendary Member

Location - Switzerland

Post by paulfeakins » Mon Mar 04, 2019 6:19 pm

IP_CAM wrote:
Mon Mar 04, 2019 12:26 pm
One sure won't get rich
Are you sure? The marketplace doesn't do too badly ;)

IP_CAM wrote:
Mon Mar 04, 2019 12:26 pm
I would too, if I could, but with XP
A lot of people consider XP the best version of WIndows and they have a point. If you want something similar to XP, you should have a look at certain versions of Linux, especially Zorin: https://itsfoss.com/linux-replace-windows-xp/

I admire @straightlight 's passion but there might be other ways to help the reliability of OpenCart rather than having a go at the developers. Have you contacted Daniel and offered to help for example?

UK OpenCart Hosting | OpenCart Audits | OpenCart Support - please email info@antropy.co.uk

Guru Member

Location - London Gatwick, United Kingdom

Post by straightlight » Mon Mar 04, 2019 6:28 pm

Are you sure? The marketplace doesn't do too badly
I was about to provide my two cent on that since profit isn't the only solution with Opencart. If so, the Marketplace wouldn't offer free extensions in the first place to resolved some or most of peoples' inquiries from the forum.

Regards,
Straightlight

Legendary Member

Location - Canada, ON

Post by jt2012 » Wed Mar 06, 2019 12:04 pm

Hello all,

I'm using OpenCart 3.0.3.1, and have been updating the site without a problem. Suddenly, I am no longer able to edit any images on the site. This includes product images right through to the store logo. When you click on the blue edit button, nothing happens. I can delete an image, but I can't go and edit it again after. This is a site wide issue. I've also tried it from different computes and browsers. Any help would be most appreciated!

Post by ADD Creative » Wed Mar 06, 2019 7:51 pm

There is another report of the image upload issue here. viewtopic.php?f=190&t=210142#p747777

www.add-creative.co.uk

Expert Member

Location - United Kingdom

Post by Qphoria » Fri Mar 08, 2019 3:39 pm

OSWorX wrote:
Wed Jan 09, 2019 4:09 pm
since 2.x some similiar like VQMod is already included in the core: OCMod

So there is really no need to install an additoinal tool which does primary the same!
And if an extension relies on VQMod only, forget is.
Lol.. well I am bit biased, but vQmod is vastly superior to ocmod for development and speed of adjustments. If you have a bug in your vqmod, just edit or remove the file. But if you have a bug in your ocmod, you have to go digging through the database to find it. A bad ocmod can disable your whole admin site leaving no option to recover without editing the database or manually deleting the folders inside the storage/modification folder. A bad vqmod script can simply be removed and everything is back to normal. Logging is much clearer, automatically updating the cache file when either the core file or xml file is edited is so much easier than having to run refresh all the time. I make a lot of mods... Not a single ocmod and no plans to. My customers and I will be sticking with vQmod.

Administrator

Post by paulfeakins » Fri Mar 08, 2019 5:20 pm

Qphoria wrote:
Fri Mar 08, 2019 3:39 pm
You got a bug inyour vqmod, just edit the file you got a bug in your ocmod, go digging through the database to find it.
Speaking as someone who supports a load of extensions, some using vQmod, some using OCMOD, the vQmod ones are indeed quicker and easier to fix! :)

UK OpenCart Hosting | OpenCart Audits | OpenCart Support - please email info@antropy.co.uk

Guru Member

Post by OSWorX » Fri Mar 08, 2019 5:22 pm

Qphoria wrote:
Fri Mar 08, 2019 3:39 pm
A bad ocmod can disable your whole admin site leaving no option to recover without editing the database.
Good catch, but not the problem of OCMod, more the problem of stupid and lazy developers publishing bogus extensions.

But the problem is not OCMod itself, vastly the point that it is based on the idea of VQMod (you're the creator of).
And if OCMod would not have been stored in the database, it (c/w)ould act as VQMod does.

But does not belong at all, if a OCMod is well written and tested (!!!), it works.
And I really see no sense to install again another library/function/mechanism just to apply a few lines (as many customers do because that shitty VQMod based extension wants to modify 3 lines only) while if rewritten to OCMod the live would be easier.

What I can see is the point that in some - very rare !! - cases, modifications are done easier with VQMod rather with OCMod.
But for just 1 of 500 extensions.

Beside this discussion it would be good to leave both and forget them if OpenCart would have a really useable events/hooks system.
And as long as this is not added to OpenCart, maybe both will have their live.
But that leads to another discussion ...

Full Stack Web Developer :: Dedicated OpenCart Development & Support DACH Region
Contact for Custom Work / Fast Support.

Guru Member

Location - Austria

Post by paulfeakins » Fri Mar 08, 2019 5:33 pm

OSWorX wrote:
Fri Mar 08, 2019 5:22 pm
What I can see is the point that in some - very rare !! - cases, modifications are done easier with VQMod rather with OCMod.
But for just 1 of 500 extensions.
When is it ever easier to find and edit a database record containing code than to open a file containing code in your IDE? That might be the case if OC had a built in OCMOD IDE with a nice UI and code colouring, code completion, an OC reference etc.

OSWorX wrote:
Beside this discussion it would be good to leave both and forget them if OpenCart would have a really useable events/hooks system.
The problem with all events/hooks systems (as I have said above) is that a hook must exist for your specific case. If you want to do something there is not a hook for ... tough luck! So in my view they should never fully replace vQmod/OCMOD.

OSWorX wrote:
And as long as this is not added to OpenCart, maybe both will have their live.
OCMOD and vQmod can live together just fine I think.

I believe vQmod can be applied to almost any project, although I haven't seen it used on any others, I haven't looked.

To me both OCMOD and vQmod seem really great ways of keeping one's own code separate from core files.

Guru Member

Post by OSWorX » Fri Mar 08, 2019 6:31 pm

Beside all of these arguments, we all here should not forget: we are developing extensions (and other things) not for us!
At the end, it is the customer who has troubles.
Troubles because the extension he need is based on VQMod - but will modify only 2,3 lines.
If that sh** would be converted to a OCMod compatible extension, the customer has not the need to install another library (I call VQMod this).

And the system has not the overhead to parse first the modifications and then the vmods.
Which leads to longer loading sites.
See that 2,3 a month when a customer comes and want to fix his slow loading shop.
Beside that the fact of missing indexes in the database, some of them have installed over 50 extensions, some ocmods, some vqmods.

And the best of all (and there are very popular extensions under) are those oc/vqmods with 300 lines (and more!) of code inside!
How stupid must a developer be, when his modification is based on a xml-file with at least 500 lines of code.
Having complete functions inside.
And so on ..

I have done the experiment and converted a few of them.
Had then exactly 6 lines of code - before 450.
And before vqmod, after ocmod.

And - not to forget - the event system.
If both are understood (and used) by the majority of those so called 'developers', the life - especially of users - would be much easier.
They can live very good side by side.

Full Stack Web Developer :: Dedicated OpenCart Development & Support DACH Region
Contact for Custom Work / Fast Support.

Guru Member

Location - Austria

Post by paulfeakins » Fri Mar 08, 2019 6:42 pm

OSWorX wrote:
Fri Mar 08, 2019 6:31 pm
Beside all of these arguments, we all here should not forget: we are developing extensions (and other things) not for us!
True, but whatever makes development quicker and easier also helps customers.

OSWorX wrote:
If that sh** would be converted to a OCMod compatible extension, the customer has not the need to install another library (I call VQMod this).
But most still have vQmod installed already.

OSWorX wrote:
And the system has not the overhead to parse first the modifications and then the vmods.
Which leads to longer loading sites.
It would be good if there was only one system, yes.

OSWorX wrote:
How stupid must a developer be, when his modification is based on a xml-file with at least 500 lines of code.
Having complete functions inside.
That can be ok.

Guru Member

Post by JNeuhoff » Sat Mar 09, 2019 1:21 am

If both are understood (and used) by the majority of those so called 'developers', the life - especially of users - would be much easier.
Where possible, event handlers should be used rather than XML-based modification systems. Unfortunately, Daniel has made it unnecessarily hard with view/*/before handlers and is even trying to change it again in OC 3.1.x. Also, it is not possible to change methods in system/library classes via event handlers, there are no pre-defined triggers for them.

Export/Import Tool * SpamBot Buster * Unused Images Manager * Instant Option Price Calculator * Number Option * Google Tag Manager * Survey Plus * OpenTwig

Guru Member

Post by paulfeakins » Sat Mar 09, 2019 1:23 am

JNeuhoff wrote:
Sat Mar 09, 2019 1:21 am
Where possible, event handlers should be used rather than XML-based modification systems.
Yes, where possible indeed, but often it is not possible.

Guru Member

Post by IP_CAM » Sat Mar 09, 2019 12:41 pm

A lot of people consider XP the best version of WIndows and they have a point.
Well, I belong to those fellows, 2 later Version Desktops are just adding
Dust, after wasting some time on them. A Year ago, I bought 4 HP Copaq
Factory-downgraded XP Pro(originally Vista, seemengly unsellable with
that Crab-Version) units, updated to latest HP XP-Pro Spec's + Upgrades,
just to make sure, to have some in Reserve. And for what i use a PC, that's
all I ever need. And for ~45 US Bucks each, it was a real Bargin! :D

And I need some spares for my Club, where 3 XP's are in daily action,
among my Old Lady, playing Admin there, also selected ~44 Years ago,
and kept so far, after going trough a good range of former Test-Versions
before. Strictly technically described, at least. ::) ;)

It's quite similar, when it comes to OC. From all my OC Postings I made, one
will not find more than a mere handfull of Questions ( with mostly no replies ).
For the simple reason, that there are no unsolved matters. I just have to ask
my best Friend Google, to find, what I am looking for, for XP + OC the same.
And both still work, secure, and in full, despite of all prognoses made ... :P

Lucky me, because I would probably have been moving on to someplace
else a long time ago already, after realizing, that this is no place, where
Newbies likely get, what they're expecting - after still beeing under the first
Impression, to have found a free heaven of wisdom. Only waiting, to make
anybody rich quick, in the upmost easy way, and by a few clicks.
( what a way of dreaming about starting a new Business... :clown: )

For OC Newbies, and those, coming from the 'friendly' Shareware Scene, it's
in many cases a rather frustrating Experience, to be confronted with the OC
Reality. But OC Reality means Business, since OC is built to only do Business,
for most everybody involved. They just 'missed' that Fact, after reading Page 1,
with highest expectations, but little or no qualification, to 'handle' a real pro
Business Tool like OC. This, regardless of, if still some Bugs might exist in some
OC Versions or not.

A little more 'Neutrality' could only help, when it comes to inform OC Newbies
about, what OC Version they should possibly use best, for what purpose ever.
Or at least a 'global' Info, that OC is an steady ongoing Project, and latest OC
Versions always are latest Test versions too, for everybody involved.

The OC Project never changed, it always worked this way. Some just forgot about that ... ;)
And OC Newbies don't know, and have to find out first, the likely not so easy way.
Many will give up, and so never add to 'common' OC Wealth, that's the bad thing about it.
And I am quite sure, that the Numbers have been brighter, when I arrived at the OC Scene,
compared to, what they show today. Despite of Min- Prices, which went from 10 to 20 since.

But that's really only a wild guess ... ::) and based on nothing but my nose :D
Ernie

My Github OC Site: https://github.com/IP-CAM
5'200 + FREE OC Extensions, on the World's largest private Github OC Repository Archive Site.

Legendary Member

Location - Switzerland

Post by straightlight » Sun Mar 10, 2019 5:08 am

JNeuhoff wrote:
Sat Mar 09, 2019 1:21 am
Where possible, event handlers should be used rather than XML-based modification systems. Unfortunately, Daniel has made it unnecessarily hard with view/*/before handlers and is even trying to change it again in OC 3.1.x. Also, it is not possible to change methods in system/library classes via event handlers, there are no pre-defined triggers for them.
This solution may become handy and final for all OC developers: https://github.com/opencart/opencart/pull/7153 . I also covered a feedback at the bottom of that topic for Windows path compatibility. The downside is, either the people that does see this post may have to agree to install it (or being used as a VQMod / OCmod extension) or if from those who decides not to install it among the people that already did, it may become problematic until this solution would officially get implemented in the core.

An example before the patch indicating that the following may not work unless patches have been installed: https://github.com/opencart/opencart/issues/7152

Regards,
Straightlight

Legendary Member

Location - Canada, ON

Post by JNeuhoff » Mon Mar 11, 2019 3:12 am

straightlight wrote:
Sun Mar 10, 2019 5:08 am
This solution may become handy and final for all OC developers: https://github.com/opencart/opencart/pull/7153 . I also covered a feedback at the bottom of that topic for Windows path compatibility. The downside is, either the people that does see this post may have to agree to install it (or being used as a VQMod / OCmod extension) or if from those who decides not to install it among the people that already did, it may become problematic until this solution would officially get implemented in the core.

An example before the patch indicating that the following may not work unless patches have been installed: https://github.com/opencart/opencart/issues/7152
It is be hoped that Daniel will pick it up, and also that he will introduce more event triggers for system library functions.

Export/Import Tool * SpamBot Buster * Unused Images Manager * Instant Option Price Calculator * Number Option * Google Tag Manager * Survey Plus * OpenTwig

Guru Member

Post by straightlight » Mon Mar 11, 2019 3:14 am

Agreed.

Regards,
Straightlight

Legendary Member

Location - Canada, ON