Post by JAY6390 » Thu Feb 16, 2012 4:47 am

Available to purchase here

Better Product SEO Friendly Urls

WHAT IT DOES
This mod is designed to turn your product URL's into a standard structure throughout your site, with all the breadrumbs working exactly the same regardless of how you get to a product, and all links to a product identical regardless of where you're linking from

EXAMPLE
Normally, clicking a product link on the home page for say an iMac on the demo/default store would link to
http://www.yourstore.com/i-mac
Where as if you clicked the product from the category DESKTOPS > MAC it would show
http://www.yourstore.com/desktop/mac/i-mac

The first would show the breadcrumb
Home » iMac
where the second shows
Home » Desktops » Mac » iMac

This inconsistency is confusing for customers and for the general store that only has one category per product, it makes more sense to show the latter version of them. This mod does just that, linking to the full category for a product globally and consistently

FEATURES
  • Utilises the vQmod system, so no file changes required
  • URL's are still editable from the admin as they normally are
  • Caches query results on each page to reduce overhead

Guru Member

Location - United Kingdom

Post by countzer0 » Fri Feb 17, 2012 6:11 pm

Hi, this looks like something I need. I have some questions:

1. Does this affect a Google Product Search feed? In other words, does it push the categorized URL to the feed, or is the user redirected from the direct URL to the categorized URL on landing from the feed?

2. Are the categorized URLs used for site search results? In other words, when a user clicks from a site search result, do they go to Home > Category > Subcategory > Product Name instead of Home > Search > Product Name? I find the default behaviour of OC poor in this respect as they are not easily able to browse the category after searching.

3. Are the categorized URLs used for the Manufacturer page? In other words, when a user clicks from the Manufacturer (Brands) page, do they go to Home > Category > Subcategory > Product Name instead of Home > Brands > Product Name?

Thanks for any advice.

A happy OpenCart developer from Brighton.

Location - Brighton, UK

Post by JAY6390 » Fri Feb 17, 2012 8:29 pm

Hi

Any product URL's are set to full "category > subcategory > product" for all three of the situations you mention above, regardless of where on the site they are, as long as the $this->url->link() function is called to rewrite the URL (which it should be globally throughout). if you have any issues, please let me know

Kind regards
Jay

Guru Member

Post by scanreg » Tue Feb 21, 2012 12:24 am

How is Better Product SEO different from or similar to Uber SEO URL's ?

Does Uber do everything that Better Product does for instance?

Thanks

Post by JAY6390 » Tue Feb 21, 2012 12:29 am

Hi Scanreg

No better SEO doesn't apply to uberseo and vice versa, they're both separate, though I guess in theory they could both be combined. Better SEO essentially forces the categories full path on a product links throughout a site, regardless of where it is

Guru Member

Post by shopmaster » Fri Mar 09, 2012 7:45 am

Hello there, I have already bought your product and really want the concept it involves yet it doesnt seem to be working on my site. Im running 1.5.2.x http://rarecollectibles.org . I installed it per instructions and wondering if it has something to do with the update by opencart or something im doing wrong. I see it running in the VManager and have a fairly clean new install. Thank you.

#################################
http://RareCollectibles.org

Post by JAY6390 » Fri Mar 09, 2012 8:19 am

That's very odd. Can you try changing to the default theme quickly, and seeing if it still occurs?
If it does, can you PM/email me FTP details and I'll take a look for you

Guru Member

Post by shopmaster » Mon Mar 12, 2012 6:50 am

My issue was in the VQmod install, reinstalled and this plugin works great! Just what I needed, love it thanks!

#################################
http://RareCollectibles.org

Post by JAY6390 » Mon Mar 12, 2012 6:55 am

Great news, glad it's working :)

Guru Member

Post by countzer0 » Thu Mar 15, 2012 6:13 pm

I've just installed this mod, and I've noticed a bug in the breadcrumbs for links from the Brands page. The breadcrumb is taking the form:

Home > Category > Sub-category > Brand (the word "Brand") > Brandname > Product Name

I think it should be:

Home > Category > Sub-category > Product Name

to be consistent. You can see an example on my site by following any of the links from here.

[Edit:]This also happens with links from search results. For example, any of the links from here.

Location - Brighton, UK

Post by JAY6390 » Thu Mar 15, 2012 7:03 pm

Hi Counterz0

Firstly thanks for bringing this to my attention
I've made a change to the file. Can you send me your email address via PM and I'll send you the new file to test

Kind regards
Jay

Guru Member

Post by countzer0 » Thu Mar 15, 2012 7:52 pm

Thanks for your speedy response and fix Jay. Great mod, and great support!

Location - Brighton, UK

Post by JAY6390 » Thu Mar 15, 2012 8:00 pm

You're welcome! I prefer people to find bugs and get them ironed out as soon as possible. This will never happen again for any product links now

Guru Member

Post by itsehsan » Sun Jul 22, 2012 4:52 pm

I have same issues:

I am suing opencart CMS. I have an issue in SEO link structure customization. I want to create a unique url of category/subcategory/product or category/product

For Example: ensdresses.com/category/product link: http://ensdresses.com/Casual-Dresses/indian-frock

I have successfully rewrite URL's http://ensdresses.com/Casual-Dresses/indian-frock

but know problem is that when i directly go to the product page e.g indian-frock from home page.

it show URL like this http://ensdresses.com/indian-frock instead of http://ensdresses.com/Casual-Dresses/indian-frock

You may checkout by visiting site.

It creates duplicate pages of same product.

Can any one please tell me how to resolve this issue.

Thanks

Post by JAY6390 » Sun Jul 22, 2012 8:05 pm

This vQmod does what you want. It shows the full path to a product via the category even if you click links on your home page etc

Guru Member

Post by BizWizerd » Wed Oct 03, 2012 5:11 am

Ok, I installed the Vqmod in my Opencart and installed your plugin the the vqmod/xml folder. I logged into my Opencart Admin, but I'm not seeing anything relating to "Better Product SEO Friendly Urls 1.5.X" in Modules. Am I supposed to link in modules for this extension? I'm sooooooo confused. Please understand, I've only been using Opencart for a few months.

Post by JAY6390 » Wed Oct 03, 2012 5:59 am

Hi

Nothing needs doing on your part. You just need to set up your seo URLs as you would anyway and this converts them to use the correct path complete with its category keywords in the URL throughout your website

Guru Member

Post by metrobee » Fri Feb 01, 2013 7:54 am

Just purchased your seo friendly urls. however now i think what i would really wanted to purchase is uber seo. can we swap?

Post by JAY6390 » Fri Feb 01, 2013 7:37 pm

Hi Metrobee

You would need to purchase uber seo, then contact OpenCart about the reimbursement for the better product seo friendly URL's

Kind regards
Jay

Guru Member

Post by gijsgeers » Fri Apr 19, 2013 3:49 pm

Hi Jay,

I just uploaded your module to my webshop, but nothing happens. It doesn't seem to work.

I have tried tot change to the default theme, but it still doesn't work.

Could you take a look at it for me?

My site is: www.slingersenballonnen.com