Post by rickmase » Sun Nov 08, 2020 11:05 am

I bought a SSL certificate from Godaddy. I have my site hosted on their CPanel Apache server. Their help files tell you to add some lines of code to .htaccess. When I do it messes up the way the pages display. everything appears as a single column. I want the whole site secure so that customers see the lock no matter what page they are on. Godaddy tells you to put the redirect code in the main folder of public_html. I also tried it in the subfolder which houses my site. (I have two sites on the server. Both sites are in folders under the public_html folder. Can someone please tell me how to fix this. My programming skills are novice level. Thank you in advance.

Post by EvolveWebHosting » Sun Nov 08, 2020 10:56 pm

rickmase wrote:
Sun Nov 08, 2020 11:05 am
I bought a SSL certificate from Godaddy. I have my site hosted on their CPanel Apache server. Their help files tell you to add some lines of code to .htaccess. When I do it messes up the way the pages display. everything appears as a single column. I want the whole site secure so that customers see the lock no matter what page they are on. Godaddy tells you to put the redirect code in the main folder of public_html. I also tried it in the subfolder which houses my site. (I have two sites on the server. Both sites are in folders under the public_html folder. Can someone please tell me how to fix this. My programming skills are novice level. Thank you in advance.
Have you tried contacting Godaddy support? They do some unorthodox configurations to their servers. If your site files are located in a sub folder, you would be adding code for the .htaccess file located in that sub folder. You also need to update both config.php files and select the button under system > settings to enable SSL. What code did they give you for the .htaccess file?

2 Week FREE Trial of our Shared Hosting plans (DIrectAdmin or cPanel) for new customers
2 Week FREE Trial of Astra Firewall and Malware Scanner
Visit our website for full details and to start your trial today - www.evolvewebhost.com

Location - Denver, Colorado, USA

Post by JNeuhoff » Sun Nov 08, 2020 11:47 pm

Have you tried this in your '.htaccess' file:

Code: Select all

Rewrite Engine ON
Rewrite Cond %{HTTPS} off
Rewrite Rule ^(.*)$ https://%(HTTP-HOST)%{Request-URI} [L,R=301]
?

Export/Import Tool * SpamBot Buster * Unused Images Manager * Instant Option Price Calculator * Number Option * Google Tag Manager * Survey Plus * OpenTwig

Guru Member

Post by rickmase » Mon Nov 09, 2020 3:01 am

EvolveWebHosting wrote:
Sun Nov 08, 2020 10:56 pm
rickmase wrote:
Sun Nov 08, 2020 11:05 am
Have you tried contacting Godaddy support? They do some unorthodox configurations to their servers. If your site files are located in a sub folder, you would be adding code for the .htaccess file located in that sub folder. You also need to update both config.php files and select the button under system > settings to enable SSL. What code did they give you for the .htaccess file?
Yes I did They referred me to a help file and said I have to ask Opencart about the formatting problems. They also offered to sell me a management service to set it up.

Here is the code they said to paste.

RewriteEngine On
RewriteCond %{SERVER_PORT} 80
RewriteCond %{HTTP_HOST} ^(www\.)?coolexample\.com
RewriteRule ^(.*)$ https://www.coolexample.com/$1 [R,L]

here is a link to the help file https://www.godaddy.com/help/redirect-m ... ttps-27870

here is a sample of my folder tree on the server.
+public_html
+***** (where the star represents folders associated with another website)
+****
+****
+Junk2junque
+rick-of-all-trades (the other website)

Junk2Junque is the root folder for the opencart store. Everything under there was installed by opencart and not modified by me.

Your help will be greatly appreciated but please be specific with instructions I am a novice at programming. I used to know Basic pretty good a long time ago, and was not too bad with html, but I barely recognize php code elements.

Post by rickmase » Mon Nov 09, 2020 3:05 am

JNeuhoff wrote:
Sun Nov 08, 2020 11:47 pm

Rewrite Engine ON
?
Thanks for your help. No. Also please be more specific. what is the path as I have seen more then 1 .htaccess files within all the folders. Also is there a typo above URI = URL ?

Post by straightlight » Mon Nov 09, 2020 5:46 am

rickmase wrote:
Mon Nov 09, 2020 3:05 am
JNeuhoff wrote:

Rewrite Engine ON
?
Thanks for your help. No. Also please be more specific. what is the path as I have seen more then 1 .htaccess files within all the folders. Also is there a typo above URI = URL ?
Not a typo. However, you should only have one .htaccess file and located on your root store location. If you do, however, have other .htaccess files among sub-folders, then it is possible you are also running another platform along with Opencart in the same environment.

Dedication and passion goes to those who are able to push and merge a project.

Regards,
Straightlight
Programmer / Opencart Tester

Legendary Member

Location - Canada, ON

Post by rickmase » Tue Nov 10, 2020 12:33 am

straightlight wrote:
Mon Nov 09, 2020 5:46 am
rickmase wrote:
Mon Nov 09, 2020 3:05 am
JNeuhoff wrote:

Rewrite Engine ON
?
Not a typo. However, you should only have one .htaccess file and located on your root store location. If you do, however, have other .htaccess files among sub-folders, then it is possible you are also running another platform along with Opencart in the same environment.
I tried your suggested code and got this error. Also, I do not have any addons such as hit counters or anything else that did not come with the install package.

Internal Server Error
The server encountered an internal error or misconfiguration and was unable to complete your request.

Please contact the server administrator at webmaster@junk2junque.rick-of-all-trades.com to inform them of the time this error occurred, and the actions you performed just before this error.

More information about this error may be available in the server error log.

Additionally, a 500 Internal Server Error error was encountered while trying to use an ErrorDocument to handle the request.

Post by JNeuhoff » Tue Nov 10, 2020 1:21 am

More information about this error may be available in the server error log.
So have you asked your webhost for the error log entries?

Export/Import Tool * SpamBot Buster * Unused Images Manager * Instant Option Price Calculator * Number Option * Google Tag Manager * Survey Plus * OpenTwig

Guru Member

Post by rickmase » Tue Nov 10, 2020 3:44 am

Godaddy is not forthcoming on help with these issues. They want to sell me a management service or pass the buck to Opencart. I looked at the error log in my root folder and there is nothing there that even registered as being entered today. Last entry was in May and it had to do with sql.

My web hosting service is minimal when it comes to support. I have their cPanel shared service where I can put as many websites in my account as I want but I'm on my own as far as maintenance is concerned.

Post by rickmase » Tue Nov 10, 2020 4:09 am

After more searching I found exactly what I was looking for and the problem is now fixed.

Here is a link to the article

https://isenselabs.com/posts/opencart-pages-https

Thanks everyone for your help.