Post by xfm_rox » Tue Aug 09, 2016 3:36 pm

I'm contemplating upgrading an existing store that I have been maintaining for a few years now and feel it is time to update opencart.

The current live store is running version 1.5.5.1.

Having read some posts (and recommendations) it states never to upgrade a live store. My only viable option is to upgrade the live store, as I don't have access to any other domains or sub domains. Surely at some point a live store would have to be upgraded anyway right?

I've updated the PHP version on the hosting web server to version 5.4 (it was on 5.3) so it complies with 2.3.0.1 and version 1.5.5.1 still currently works. So that is a good start.

However, my questions would be...

What upgrade path should I use?
Could I upgrade the live store straight to 2.3.0.1 from 1.5.5.1?
Is there is a way of testing this locally on a windows machine?
Plus how would I replicate the live store in any test environment using the existing database?

I don't code, not really confident with SQL so some assistance would be appreciated here.

Apologies if this has been covered previously, I have not been able to find any relevance to my predicament despite trawling through the forum.

Thanks in advance.

Post by paulfeakins » Tue Aug 09, 2016 6:37 pm

xfm_rox wrote:Having read some posts (and recommendations) it states never to upgrade a live store. My only viable option is to upgrade the live store, as I don't have access to any other domains or sub domains.
If you attempt this, you're likely to destroy your live shop.

It's very easy to get some cheap hosting, or even set up a web server on your desktop computer with something like XAMPP, WAMP etc.

Unless your shop is the default theme with no customisation or extensions, there will be issues as you upgrade and they will probably take a long time to fix. Unless you do this on a copy of the site, your site will be unusable all this time.

Often the best thing to do when going from 1.5.x to 2.x is to start again and build the shop in the latest OC version, then migrate data across.

UK OpenCart Hosting | OpenCart Audits | OpenCart Support - please email info@antropy.co.uk

Guru Member

Location - London Gatwick, United Kingdom

Post by madimar » Tue Aug 09, 2016 8:47 pm

As suggested, you are strongly recommended to perform update activities in a development environment.
You can easily set it up on Windows with ampps, xampp or wamp(i personally prefer the first one).

M

Inviato dal mio SM-G930F utilizzando Tapatalk

-----------------------------------------------------------------------
My last mods: Partita IVA e CF | Pro EU VAT Number | Sales Agents | Pricelist Pro
-----------------------------------------------------------------------