drjawn1962 wrote: ↑
Thu May 28, 2020 10:00 pm
Poor fellows never did get an answer.
Not really true ..
But to be honest:
1. look around this forum and all of you will find many threads about the update
2. never update OpenCart with the integrated solution - it will fail in 99% of all cases
If all of you here want to have a "update" which is working, do following:
A. make a backup of all (!!): files and database and store in a safe place
B. install the new version in a subdirectory (same server or another) - with a new database
C. adopt/adjust the database tables you want/need
C.1 which tables depend on which data you want to keep, e.g. customers, orders, products, etc
C.2 check the difference between old and new table structure (sometimes only 1 field or a small structure change)
C.3 after adopting the table data import them step by step
D. start the new version and check if all is working as expected
I. old template can never be used 1:1
II. therefore (because of I.) check before the update which template you want (or if an update / newer version exists)
III. check carefully if the desired tempate/theme is compatible with the installed OpenCart Version
IV. install the new template
a. previous extension will not work with new OpenCart version - never!
b. check before the update if a new(er) version exist
c. check if not a better / other extension exist
d. check carefully the comtability of the extension
>> If all of the above is running as it should, switch to the new folder via your server panel.
>> DO NOT DELETE the old shop and the database - in case something went wrong or does not work, a switch back is done within 2 seconds
* forget all OpenCart versions 3.x
* as long as OpenCart 3.1.x is not published and in a stable version - see next tip
* if an update is really needed (almost all 1.5.x version should be updated) - use 18.104.22.168
(unfortunetaly the best version of all, also after that long time of publishing)
* NEVER touch the running store!!
* if you are not able to do above steps by yourself, ask a professional - it will help you to save money (and time and nerves .. and useless postings here)
FINALLY: backup, backup and backup BEFORE!