Post by mothercruncher » Tue Jul 12, 2011 6:36 pm

Hi all,

I hope this isn't controversial to our friends in far flung corners of the world but, as the topic title says, which countries do you choose not to deal with if you ship internationally in Opencart?

Maybe because of political instability, war or difficulty shipping to etc.

Off the top of my head, I'm disabling Iran, Iraq, North Korea and Laos PDR... are there any more that it's sensible to discount?

Oh, and can I assume that countries disabled in the SYSTEM > LOCALISATION > COUNTRIES section supersede any set in the Geozones settings?

Many thanks O0

Post by henkster » Wed Jul 13, 2011 5:44 am

Politics aside, we simply choose not to send items to countries that can't accept those items, or not to send items to countries where it is illegal under our local laws.

These 2 links will keep you updated on mail issues around the world:

http://www2.royalmail.com/customer-serv ... s_redirect

http://www.usps.com/communications/news ... pdates.htm

Post by grgr » Wed Jul 13, 2011 3:21 pm

I asked a similar question to my payment processor after I had troucble with someone trying to pay me and the reply was:

The current high risk IP countries are Azerbaijan, Belarus, Bulgaria, Cameroon, Colombia, Egypt, Gambia, Ghana, Indonesia, Iran, Israel, Ivory Coast, Lebanon, Lithuania, Macedonia, Malaysia, Morocco, Nigeria, Pakistan, Peru, Romania, Russia, Turkey, Ukraine, Venezuela, and Yugoslavia.

That said, i have a friend that is Iranian, I knew a lovely girl from Lithuania, and I've dealt with Pakistan and Turkey. And most people would think nothing of going on holiday to Bulgaria, Egypt, gambia, Ghana, Israel, malasyia, turkey and Yugoslavia. (current troubles besides)

As ever, a minority ruin it for everyone else.

Interestingly, liberia and somalia aren't in the list above and there is no chance I'd be sending anything there!

Pesonally, If it sounds like a dodgy country (ie Nigeria, iraq, afganistan etc) then I give it a miss, after that I consider the postal system.

Also depends what you are selling; if it's high value electronics then you need to be a little more discerning than if it is £1 items that fit in an envelope.

-
Image Image Image Image
VIEW ALL EXTENSIONS * EXTENSION SUPPORT * WEBSITE * CUSTOM REQUESTS

Location - UK

Post by mothercruncher » Wed Jul 13, 2011 4:46 pm

Funnily enough it is electronic component of fairly high value!

Really appreciate the input folks, I'll generate a list from the Royal Mail link and the thoughts here :)

Does anyone know if disabling them in SYSTEM > LOCALISATION > COUNTRIES section disables them for the entire site?

Post by mothercruncher » Wed Jul 13, 2011 5:00 pm

...I knew a lovely girl from Lithuania..."
Sounds like a song ;)