Post by tsloc » Mon Nov 12, 2018 6:08 am

Dear all OC users,

I have a question I want to ask all you awesome forum members out there regarding OC stores and databases. I´m facing the fact that I want to "clean up" my current store from some old modules and also installed modules that followed the original install of OC by default.

Based on this situation I want to have a version that I can clean up and maintenance. Thats why I´m wondering if following idea is possible to do:

1. Make a copy of my current live OC store and place the copy version in a sub domain.
2. Pointing the new copied version to my current database that my original store is still using. (I´m planning to clean up from old modules and original modules that came with the OC installation)
3. If I proceed to clean up old module files in the copy version so everything looks all right, then replace the edited version with my current active store.

Is this possible to do or do I think totally wrong here? For example, If I uninstall a module, does anything change in the active database? For example tables and so on?

I hope that I have explained my thoughts so U guys understand. I appreciate all kind of feedback and help if this is a good way to do it or not.

Thanks for all possible help!

Post by straightlight » Mon Nov 12, 2018 7:29 am

The best strategic approach is always by creating a backup of your store and its database whenever a change event occurs whether it's about installing or uninstalling an extension.

The most generated errors being found on Opencart forum originates from contributed programming. The increased post counters are caused by redundancies of the same solutions that were already provided prior.

Regards,
Straightlight
Programmer / Opencart Tester

Legendary Member

Location - Canada, ON

Post by ocmta » Mon Nov 12, 2018 9:43 am

Almost everything has some sort of a record in the database, so removing it will affect the database. If a module is installed and enabled, and you just remove its files without uninstalling it first in admin, it will produce an error, and if you uninstall it in admin, it will affect the database.

Extensions for affiliates (openCart 1, 2, 3):
Advanced Multi Level Affiliate System
Customer and Affiliate Accounts Combined into one Account
Affiliate Tracking with Coupons
Discount for Referred Customers - Order Total
Type Tracking Code
Mass Pay
Affiliate Transactions for openCart 3
Affiliate Pack X - all modules with 40% discount

Post by tsloc » Sun Nov 18, 2018 6:44 pm

Dear all,

Thank you for your feedback! I appreciate it a lot.

I simply want to make a copy of the exsisting store that I can work with next to the current store. When I manage to reduce the things I want I can simply implement the new cleaner version without all the modules and extensions that I dont need. (For example payment and shipping modules in the lists)

I understand that the database is linked to everything that happens in my live store of course. It's sensitive to just deleting files and stuff in the wrong way.

So, I'm cloning my store and database, editing the clone version and then taking it step by step from there.

(I've been working with xampp to create a virtual servers and it's a great program to work with. But i use ssl cert and https and to install this in xampp is beyond my knowledge. It's so much easier for me to create a real subdomain with a new ssl cert and cloned database.)

Post by ocmta » Sun Nov 18, 2018 7:02 pm

tsloc wrote:
Sun Nov 18, 2018 6:44 pm
So, I'm cloning my store and database, editing the clone version and then taking it step by step from there.
Yes, just make an exact copy (both files and the database), record step by step what you are doing while editing, and then repeat on the real store.

Extensions for affiliates (openCart 1, 2, 3):
Advanced Multi Level Affiliate System
Customer and Affiliate Accounts Combined into one Account
Affiliate Tracking with Coupons
Discount for Referred Customers - Order Total
Type Tracking Code
Mass Pay
Affiliate Transactions for openCart 3
Affiliate Pack X - all modules with 40% discount

Post by OSWorX » Sun Nov 18, 2018 9:15 pm

tsloc wrote:
Sun Nov 18, 2018 6:44 pm
(I've been working with xampp to create a virtual servers and it's a great program to work with. But i use ssl cert and https and to install this in xampp is beyond my knowledge. It's so much easier for me to create a real subdomain with a new ssl cert and cloned database.)
Working local with XAMPP is much easier than creating subdomains, etc.

1. Simply copy all files from the LIVE-Store to the folder inside htdocs
2. Make a complete database backup (structure and tables) from the livestore with phpMyAdmin (or other installed tool).
3. Import database backup with xampp's phpMyAdmin

(4.) if you have SSL installed and https neabled in the live store, edit the 2 config.php and remove the s from the https links

5. do not use .htaccess from the livestore locale (remove or rename the file wo whatever else)
6. Start the locale copy of the store
7. Edit the system settings in the backend and disable the usage of SSL

Done within 3 minutes.

Custom Development | Individuelle Entwicklung | Support & Bugfixes

Image Image Image

Guru Member

Location - Austria