Post by stupidchief » Mon Oct 26, 2020 9:43 pm

Hi,
I am developer but fairly new to opencart.
I have a client with an opencart 2 website.

The client wants to apply and configure a new theme on their website.
However they do not want any (or little) downtime for sales.

So I am going to take a snapshot of the site and make the changes on a staging server.
The design changes are likely to take weeks.

In the meantime the client will be adding products and taking orders on the live site as normal.

So my question is:
Is is possible to sync the staging site product/order/ user data while retaining the theme changes.
or what would be the best way to put the staging site back live without losing the live site changes.

The theme is likely to be Journal if that matters.

Many Thanks.

Post by spectreav » Mon Oct 26, 2020 10:49 pm

yes
after design changes need export products data (and categories,manufacturers, options,attributes,orders,users, etc) from live site, migrate new design to live site and import data on live site

Best All in One Remarketing And Ecommerce Solution for Opencart. Free Install and Setup

Post by JNeuhoff » Tue Oct 27, 2020 12:14 am

You can use the Export/Import tool for migrating product data over to your new server, see this FAQ. As regards orders (not supported by our Export/Import tool yet): Export and re-import them via PHPAdmin.

BTW.: Don't use Journal, it's one of the worst themes, bloated, and not compliant with OpenCart standards. There are better and faster themes!

Export/Import Tool * SpamBot Buster * Unused Images Manager * Instant Option Price Calculator * Number Option * Google Tag Manager * Survey Plus * OpenTwig

Guru Member

Post by IP_CAM » Tue Oct 27, 2020 7:49 am

Well, it would be highly advisable, NOT to make ANY changes on the existing
Server Installation, before the new 'J' Theme Extension is installed, tested, and
fully workable, installed and tested on the same Server, but placed within
another Subdirectory, on the same Site.

And to make double sure, make a Copy of the existing Database, load it down,
and check on/rework eventually existing paths/links, to match the different
Subdirectory, where the Test Code exists, before that DB Content is uploaded
again.

But better be aware, that Journal is not just another Theme, it's full-size install,
and it uses lot's of Custom Code, in different Sections and Directories, to make
it work. So, better don't play around with the working Shop OC Source, you could
end up with a broken Shop Site, and that's sure not, what your Customer wants ...

Good Luck! ;)
Ernie

My Github OC Site: https://github.com/IP-CAM
5'200 + FREE OC Extensions, on the World's largest private Github OC Repository Archive Site.

Legendary Member

Location - Switzerland