Post by AdieB » Tue Mar 30, 2021 4:53 pm

v2.3.0.2 - I have searched but not found a definitive answer to whether the OC sitemap upload works on Google as it constantly says it is unable to fetch the sitemap. I believe that this was a problem in Google a while back, but cannot believe that it hasn't been sorted by now. If I add or delete a product as a test, the OC sitemap changes dynamically, so that part appears to work. Is it "better" to use a sitemap generator tool and upload the sitemap to the root for Google Search Console? or am I missing something in OC please? ;) How are people submitting their sitemaps for indexing?

Post by JNeuhoff » Tue Mar 30, 2021 5:12 pm

There is no problem with the OpenCart sitemap (index.php?route=extension/feed/google_sitemap, same as sitemap.xml).
And Google accesses it just fine.

Please provide more details about the exact error you get from Google.

Export/Import Tool * SpamBot Buster * Unused Images Manager * Instant Option Price Calculator * Number Option * Google Tag Manager * Survey Plus * OpenTwig

Guru Member

Post by AdieB » Tue Mar 30, 2021 5:21 pm

Constant error - "Couldn't fetch" from the Google Search Console

http://ic-express.co.za/index.php?route ... le_sitemap

It does give an "error" This XML file does not appear to have any style information associated with it. The document tree is shown below."

No idea why??

Post by JNeuhoff » Tue Mar 30, 2021 5:36 pm

You are using mainly information pages, and a 3rd party extension for tracking. There are no products shown on your website.

Your '.htaccess' is changed or corrupted, it doesn't map the index.php?route=extension/feed/google_sitemap to the sitemap.xml.

And your index.php?route=extension/feed/google_sitemap shows OpenCart demo products.

It might be a good idea to find a professional developer on the commercial support section of this forum to sort these things out for you.

Export/Import Tool * SpamBot Buster * Unused Images Manager * Instant Option Price Calculator * Number Option * Google Tag Manager * Survey Plus * OpenTwig

Guru Member

Post by AdieB » Tue Mar 30, 2021 5:40 pm

I failed to mention that it is a hugely customised site, with only one active product (I need to remove the unused standard products still). I will likely use an outside sitemap generator then. Thx for your help though.

Post by paulfeakins » Tue Mar 30, 2021 6:51 pm

On big sites it can load too slowly so caching is needed.

You could do this by removing the sitemap.xml rewrite in the .htaccess and then adding a cron that generates it daily.

Something like (from memory):

Code: Select all

wget -O /path/to/webroot/sitemap.xml https://www.yoursite.com/index.php?route=common/sitemap

UK OpenCart Hosting | OpenCart Audits | OpenCart Support - please email info@antropy.co.uk

Guru Member

Location - London Gatwick, United Kingdom

Post by AdieB » Tue Mar 30, 2021 6:59 pm

@PaulFeakins - thanks for that, interesting option I will certainly pursue. ;)

Post by paulfeakins » Wed Mar 31, 2021 5:01 pm

AdieB wrote:
Tue Mar 30, 2021 6:59 pm
@PaulFeakins - thanks for that, interesting option I will certainly pursue. ;)
Let us know how you get on!

UK OpenCart Hosting | OpenCart Audits | OpenCart Support - please email info@antropy.co.uk

Guru Member

Location - London Gatwick, United Kingdom

Post by MandKweb » Tue Oct 26, 2021 2:23 am

Has this been resolved at all?
I too have a sitemap that just doesn't work. I do have a load of products but when I load it into Google it just says "couldn't fetch"

When I try to view it I get an error 500
https://specialcuddles.com/sitemap.xml

the one for one of my other sites works fine (Takes flipping ages to load - about 2 minutes) but does work
https://mightvape.co.uk/sitemap.xml
file is huge, but Google seems happy with it

Both sites have around 4500 products

Any ideas would be appreciated

Mike

Integrity is everything
If you can fake that you have it made!!

Location - United Kingdom

Post by ADD Creative » Tue Oct 26, 2021 5:17 am

Look in your server / PHP error logs to see the cause of the 500 error.

www.add-creative.co.uk

Expert Member

Location - United Kingdom