Post by tgdonohue » Fri Jul 02, 2021 6:35 am

In the process of hacking a client's site, the mongrels' damaged many of the internal workings.
Several of the product images had spaces inserted so that a .png file was now a .p ng file. So the image can't load.
To make matters worse if I choose to upload a fresh product image with the correct name, the image uploads but does not process. That is the image on the product page , the thumbnails and the images on the index pages do not load.
Additionally, the logic of product price is that the product price is $o and each option adds to that with the first option being the default and the total price is generated dynamically.
This is achieved through the extension improved options.
I cannot seem to reinstall live options or any extension for that matter.
The client has a new site nearly completed (Truth: she's been saying that for 3 years) so she doesn't want to sink a bunch of bucks into this.
To further complicate things the database pretty much dosen't load in phpMyadmin.

What's the best way to get this site going?

Back ups you say? Well the site has had multiple attacks at various times The problems described are in the earliest available version.

OpenCart 2.1.0.1
Improved options 2.02

Post by straightlight » Fri Jul 02, 2021 9:20 am

You could always create a new service request in the Commercial Support section of the forum to have this issue investigated deeper as a custom job.

Dedication and passion goes to those who are able to push and merge a project.

Regards,
Straightlight
Programmer / Opencart Tester

Legendary Member

Location - Canada, ON

Post by OSWorX » Fri Jul 02, 2021 1:33 pm

tgdonohue wrote:
Fri Jul 02, 2021 6:35 am
In the process of hacking a client's site ..
Bad request!
Why?
"A client's site" indicates that you are earning money.
And now you want here help for free?
No.

Beside this, as "agency" you should know what you are doing.

Full Stack Web Developer :: Dedicated OpenCart Development & Support DACH Region
Contact for Custom Work / Fast Support.

Guru Member

Location - Austria

Post by straightlight » Fri Jul 02, 2021 5:23 pm

There are more and more requests from agencies. People are hiding behind the curtains and sending programmers to work for them instead of the actual clients. I had a robin hood user living in the far end woods this week and asking me for my personal phone number and Facebook account instead of using online tools aside from the emails to speed up the process. If there's one thing straight that people needs to know, especially when it comes to database integration or OC upgrade, I work alone on this and with the client directly!

Regards,
Straightlight

Legendary Member

Location - Canada, ON

Post by tgdonohue » Fri Jul 02, 2021 9:13 pm

Interesting set of replies.
As a marketing consultant (not a developer, not a programmer, not a coder), I understand the need not give away the services I sell. On the other hand, I do give people general advice and guidance gratis when asked. This is limited to the type of general knowledge that I can cite without going under the hood of a persons specific business.
That is the type of guidance I was asking for.
It might be something along the lines of "if you reinstall file x" or " There are no general solutions", perhaps even "Give the client the bad news that it has to be rebuilt from scratch"
Having been working with clients on the internet since before there was a WWW, I guess I'm still stuck in the mindset of cooperation and mutual assistance. It seems those days are gone.

Post by OSWorX » Fri Jul 02, 2021 9:51 pm

tgdonohue wrote:
Fri Jul 02, 2021 9:13 pm
Yes.
tgdonohue wrote:
As a marketing consultant (not a developer, not a programmer, not a coder), I understand the need not give away the services I sell. On the other hand, I do give people general advice and guidance gratis when asked.
And what is the reason those people are asking you?
Your blue eyes, white hair, good taste of your cigar?

Seems you do not understand - or do not want.
This here is a user forum.
If a user can help you, he is encouraged to do so.

You call yourself a "marketing consultant".
Interesting - what skills do you have, which school, courses visited?
You may have some knowledge - but marketing has nothing to do with "helping" people having technical troubles like you wrote.
This is for people who understand the technique.

And finally: reading all your 31 posts here in your 5 forum years, you have always the same "trick".
But I cannot see not one (1) answer from you where YOU helped others.

Full Stack Web Developer :: Dedicated OpenCart Development & Support DACH Region
Contact for Custom Work / Fast Support.

Guru Member

Location - Austria

Post by paulfeakins » Fri Jul 02, 2021 10:18 pm

tgdonohue wrote:
Fri Jul 02, 2021 6:35 am
In the process of hacking a client's site, the mongrels' damaged many of the internal workings.
Even we avoid repairing hacked sites, so it's safe to say you shouldn't attempt this.

Instead get a company like Astra to clean it up.

UK OpenCart Hosting | OpenCart Audits | OpenCart Support - please email info@antropy.co.uk

Guru Member

Location - London Gatwick, United Kingdom

Post by paulfeakins » Fri Jul 02, 2021 10:19 pm

tgdonohue wrote:
Having been working with clients on the internet since before there was a WWW
I'm curious, what did you do on the Internet before WWW?

UK OpenCart Hosting | OpenCart Audits | OpenCart Support - please email info@antropy.co.uk

Guru Member

Post by straightlight » Fri Jul 02, 2021 10:55 pm

tgdonohue wrote:
As a marketing consultant (not a developer, not a programmer, not a coder), I understand the need not give away the services I sell. On the other hand, I do give people general advice and guidance gratis when asked. This is limited to the type of general knowledge that I can cite without going under the hood of a persons specific business.
That is the type of guidance I was asking for.
It might be something along the lines of "if you reinstall file x" or " There are no general solutions", perhaps even "Give the client the bad news that it has to be rebuilt from scratch"
Having been working with clients on the internet since before there was a WWW, I guess I'm still stuck in the mindset of cooperation and mutual assistance. It seems those days are gone.
I wouldn't know if general knowledge, nor to know what to call it, would be the right term when it comes to manage a website on this regard. What I do know, however, is regardless of the hired people other people, like me, needs to work with, they don't show up on the forum for questions about their own knowledge but rather about others which their family members being called: clients needs to have a custom job about. Therefore, if these people we'd be so eager to learn the knowledge one would propose, then these people wouldn't feel the need to send anyone else on the forum to do their jobs.

Regards,
Straightlight

Legendary Member

Location - Canada, ON

Post by tgdonohue » Sat Jul 03, 2021 6:40 am

Oh well . . .
Another developer gave me the guidance needed in fewer than 30 words.
It was a pretty obvious, generic answer for someone who, unlike myself, was very familiar with OpenCart.
Thanks anyway.

Post by straightlight » Sat Jul 03, 2021 7:18 am

tgdonohue wrote:
Sat Jul 03, 2021 6:40 am
Oh well . . .
It was a pretty obvious, generic answer for someone who, unlike myself, was very familiar with OpenCart.
Thanks anyway.
Except that those guidance needed were not posted on the forum in order to help others.

Regards,
Straightlight

Legendary Member

Location - Canada, ON

Post by paulfeakins » Mon Jul 05, 2021 7:51 pm

tgdonohue wrote:
Sat Jul 03, 2021 6:40 am
No they didn't, stop lying.

Cleaning up a hacked site is certainly not a simple job.

Guru Member

Post by tgdonohue » Thu Jul 08, 2021 1:39 am

Of Course I will share the solution.

As the intrusion had corrupted the vQmod. This needed to be completely removed --including the cache--and reinstalled.
This, of course allowed for the reinstallation of the critical extensions referred to in my original post.

That's pretty straight forward generic solution to a regular user of OpenCart but not to one with limited experience

I guess this relates to the question of why I don't post solutions on this forum. Simply, I am rarely on this forum and any questions that I, a light weight in OPenCart, might be able to answer are generally answered before I read them.

I do contribute and help within my area of expertise on other forums.

Post by straightlight » Thu Jul 08, 2021 1:52 am

tgdonohue wrote:
Thu Jul 08, 2021 1:39 am
Of Course I will share the solution.

As the intrusion had corrupted the vQmod. This needed to be completely removed --including the cache--and reinstalled.
This, of course allowed for the reinstallation of the critical extensions referred to in my original post.

That's pretty straight forward generic solution to a regular user of OpenCart but not to one with limited experience

I guess this relates to the question of why I don't post solutions on this forum. Simply, I am rarely on this forum and any questions that I, a light weight in OPenCart, might be able to answer are generally answered before I read them.

I do contribute and help within my area of expertise on other forums.
3rd party.

Regards,
Straightlight

Legendary Member

Location - Canada, ON