Post by Afrofunk » Thu Aug 18, 2022 7:19 pm

We are using office 365 and email notifications from our website are not working because of the depreciation of SMTP. What settings do i use in mail in Open Cart? or is it something that needs to done in microsoft office settings, i'm talking to microsoft technical support but they are trying to figure it out, did something in powershell but that didn't work, just asking is there anything that needs to be applied in OC? Anyone have any experience of this? or do i use a third party SMTP provider instead?
Using Opencart 2.3.0.2.
Thankyou

Post by thekrotek » Thu Aug 18, 2022 10:56 pm

Deprecation of SMTP? What's this? SMTP is not deprecating, it's a world wide protocol.

Professional OpenCart extensions, support and custom work.
Contact me via email or Skype by support@thekrotek.com

Expert Member

Post by straightlight » Fri Aug 19, 2022 10:42 am

Microsoft Office 365 is on the road to deprecate the modern authentication with Outlook, that is the case. However, it is not on the road for SMTP protocol to get deprecated even though MAPI is in the lead.

Dedication and passion goes to those who are able to push and merge a project.

Regards,
Straightlight
Programmer / Opencart Tester

Legendary Member

Location - Canada, ON

Post by paulfeakins » Fri Aug 19, 2022 7:52 pm

Afrofunk wrote:
Thu Aug 18, 2022 7:19 pm
We are using office 365 and email notifications from our website are not working because of the depreciation of SMTP.
You can use another service to send email like MailGun while still using Office365.

UK OpenCart Hosting | OpenCart Audits | OpenCart Support - please email info@antropy.co.uk

Guru Member

Location - London Gatwick, United Kingdom

Post by Afrofunk » Fri Aug 19, 2022 9:42 pm

thekrotek wrote:
Thu Aug 18, 2022 10:56 pm
Deprecation of SMTP? What's this? SMTP is not deprecating, it's a world wide protocol.
Sorryi wasn't clear, i meant they are disabling SMTP Basic Authentication, its not secure.
https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/exchan ... nge-online

Post by Afrofunk » Fri Aug 19, 2022 9:44 pm

Thankyou i was looking at this, may have to go this route as its still not working.
paulfeakins wrote:
Fri Aug 19, 2022 7:52 pm
Afrofunk wrote:
We are using office 365 and email notifications from our website are not working because of the depreciation of SMTP.
You can use another service to send email like MailGun while still using Office365.

Post by ADD Creative » Fri Aug 19, 2022 10:07 pm

Afrofunk wrote:
Fri Aug 19, 2022 9:42 pm
Sorryi wasn't clear, i meant they are disabling SMTP Basic Authentication, its not secure.
https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/exchan ... nge-online
That document suggests they are retaining SMTP for those that use it. It links to two other documents about opting out and re-enabling.

https://techcommunity.microsoft.com/t5/ ... -p/2772210
https://techcommunity.microsoft.com/t5/ ... -p/2454827

www.add-creative.co.uk

Expert Member

Location - United Kingdom

Post by straightlight » Sat Aug 20, 2022 5:36 am

An extension that would support MAPI with M365 would be better than using SMTP protocol nowadays.

Regards,
Straightlight

Legendary Member

Location - Canada, ON

Post by Afrofunk » Wed Aug 24, 2022 5:31 pm

paulfeakins wrote:
Afrofunk wrote:
Im using Sendgrid, what settings do i use in opencart under mail?

Post by straightlight » Thu Aug 25, 2022 7:23 am

Afrofunk wrote:
Wed Aug 24, 2022 5:31 pm
paulfeakins wrote:
Afrofunk wrote:
Opencart out-of-the-box supports mail and SMTP, by default.

Regards,
Straightlight

Legendary Member

Location - Canada, ON

Post by Afrofunk » Thu Aug 25, 2022 6:26 pm

straightlight wrote:
Thu Aug 25, 2022 7:23 am
Afrofunk wrote:
paulfeakins wrote:

Hit a brick wall over this, Settings are all correct in SMTP according to microsoft support. Emails still not coming through. Hosting is not blocking anything either. Im now thinking this could be an opencart issue.... Can someone help with this? prepared to put this through as a job if someone can help.

Post by straightlight » Thu Aug 25, 2022 7:21 pm

Afrofunk wrote:
Thu Aug 25, 2022 6:26 pm
straightlight wrote:
Afrofunk wrote:

Hit a brick wall over this, Settings are all correct in SMTP according to microsoft support. Emails still not coming through. Hosting is not blocking anything either. Im now thinking this could be an opencart issue.... Can someone help with this? prepared to put this through as a job if someone can help.
Ensure not to use the Modern or Basic Authentication mode in your O365 Admin Center, since Microsoft's on the verge to deprecate these modes soon whether it's with SMTP or MAPI protocol.

Regards,
Straightlight

Legendary Member

Location - Canada, ON

Post by Afrofunk » Thu Aug 25, 2022 7:33 pm

straightlight wrote:
Thu Aug 25, 2022 7:21 pm
Afrofunk wrote:
straightlight wrote:

Ensure not to use the Modern or Basic Authentication mode in your O365 Admin Center, since Microsoft's on the verge to deprecate these modes soon whether it's with SMTP or MAPI protocol.
So how do we get round it then? if we cant use any of these?

Post by straightlight » Fri Aug 26, 2022 8:56 am

Afrofunk wrote:
Thu Aug 25, 2022 7:33 pm
straightlight wrote:
Afrofunk wrote:

You need to modify the autodiscover in your registry (not recommended) or to add your host's static IP address into your Windows host file by calling the autodiscover . Then, you can test your domain with: yourdomain.com/autodiscover/autodiscover.xml (if using Exchange Online) and notice in the Developers Kit > Network which status code it will return. If other than 404, it means your autodiscover has, at least, been found. If you're not using Exchange Online with MAPI, well ... though luck! - It is still doable but you're going to have to dig a bit; probably by also calling your host to find alternate solutions on that end.

Furthermore, you can also see this documentation more in details on how to achieve this: https://lazyadmin.nl/office-365/modern- ... ffice-365/

Regards,
Straightlight

Legendary Member

Location - Canada, ON

Post by Afrofunk » Fri Sep 02, 2022 8:12 pm

Thankyou for that link, after countless calls to MS support and going through everything, it was a simple tick box that was not checked in Modern Authentication settings. SMTP Authentication was not enabled globally, there are two areas in Admin where SMTP has to be enabled in Users ( on the actual email we are using)and Org Settings and it was here that it had been missed for some reason. it works now. BUT I now have another issue with email notifications i need help with, i have created another post.

Thanks again

straightlight wrote:
Fri Aug 26, 2022 8:56 am
Afrofunk wrote:
Thu Aug 25, 2022 7:33 pm
straightlight wrote:

You need to modify the autodiscover in your registry (not recommended) or to add your host's static IP address into your Windows host file by calling the autodiscover . Then, you can test your domain with: yourdomain.com/autodiscover/autodiscover.xml (if using Exchange Online) and notice in the Developers Kit > Network which status code it will return. If other than 404, it means your autodiscover has, at least, been found. If you're not using Exchange Online with MAPI, well ... though luck! - It is still doable but you're going to have to dig a bit; probably by also calling your host to find alternate solutions on that end.

Furthermore, you can also see this documentation more in details on how to achieve this: https://lazyadmin.nl/office-365/modern- ... ffice-365/