Post by CovenantDefense » Tue Jul 25, 2017 12:38 pm

Hello,
I found out tonight that Opencart has released new versions. I have 2.3.0.2 and was wondering if I really need to upgrade yet. I am fine with how my cart is working, but I am not super good at coding and working with all the files, so is really necessary? If so, what will all be involved with upgrading with all the extensions I use, etc...?

Thank you for your time! It is much appreciated!

Post by jillc » Tue Jul 25, 2017 5:06 pm

If it's not broke, don't fix it. I've spent a week in a terrible muddle - there are no tutorials and they've used something called twig. Give it a miss at least until there are some tutorials and after you've checked if you can use your template and any extensions you've added.

Post by labeshops » Tue Jul 25, 2017 9:13 pm

I suggest doing what I am doing - add a test installation of v3 using a new fresh database. Play around with it - get it to do what you want or need that your current version does. Once you have everything the way you want it and fixed any bugs (and have continued to apply bug fixes upgrades til you get to that point), import your current database into it then make it live. This will eliminate downtime and make sure you have everything fully tested before you try to switch.

There is no real reason to upgrade if your store is working for you, though eventually mods will no longer be released or supported for the older versions probably and security or other fixes may not be fully supported. Just don't be in a rush to do it and break your stores hurting your sales.

Running Opencart v3.0.3.2 with multi-stores and the default template from https://www.labeshops.com which has links to all my stores.

Expert Member

Location - Florida, USA

Post by Sucorra » Thu Aug 03, 2017 4:02 am

I wouldn't do it -- many people have upgraded and lost access to their store. They have posted in here and their questions are not being answered -