Post by straightlight » Fri Apr 24, 2020 6:33 am

glolar wrote:
Fri Apr 24, 2020 5:44 am
straightlight wrote:
Fri Apr 24, 2020 5:40 am
When I upgraded to 3.0.2.0, I found the popup message in the Admin panel confusing, the message that says to "move your storage folder outside the system folder (i.e., public_html)". That could be interpreted this way: "Move your storage file under the /public_html folder".

The /public_html folder IS outside the /stystem folder, so I thought that would be sufficient.

In my opinion, that message should be clarified.
Which is why, the very first post of the FAQ topic indicates the fact on this. Only use the automated move out if you have a dedicated server. Otherwise, this modal window becomes a decoration due to the chance of succession on moving this storage folder outside its public_html folder without crashing. This issue has been investigated a long time ago and the main reason why I have decided to build a FAQ page; to provide guidance to the people that keeps posting about the same issues on a day-to-day basis.
A FAQ page doesn't help the poor sap that is sitting in front of his computer trying to interpret that shitty message on the popup screen when he logs into the Admin panel for the first time after upgrading to 3.0.2.0.

Wouldn't need a damn FAQ on this issue, and people wouldn't be constantly asking the same question on a day to day basis if the popup message were not CONFUSING.
While one can still complain about it, before the FAQ page, Opencart did not had a stand-alone FAQ page on the forum. Forum users only had separated topics to dig into by, either, using Google or the forum search. If all users would be able to track all the keywords by themselves, we wouldn't even need a FAQ section since, obviously, everybody would know everything. Since they'd know everything, then why use Google? We then don't need them right? The industry must of think back in 2001 that nobody will ever need to search for any queries on Google search since they know everything already.

Since we all know it ain't the case, which is why this FAQ page has been created; so that users can rely on it to troubleshoot the most commonly known issues encountered with Opencart in order to reduce the major incidents. Should we find all the answers in there? Absolutely not as we know there are still many answers that needs to be collected and those answers needs to be about persistent issues that were encountered in the past and from the downloads section of Opencart.com .

If you don't like to face the reality based on the fact that a FAQ could help a great mount of users, then rather think before the moment where people didn't even had a FAQ; how bad it was and how deep users had to search for their answers back then. In addition, new issues can already be reported on the Github Opencart namespace at: https://www.github.com/opencart/opencart/issues regarding leftovered issues found on the master branch and NOT for previous OC versions unless being proved as being persistent and relevant issues.

With that being said, you should be trilled to know there's someone taking care of the FAQs instead of unloading the bag to people that are trying to help you.

The most generated errors being found on Opencart forum originates from contributed programming. The increased post counters are caused by redundancies of the same solutions that were already provided prior.


Regards,
Straightlight
Opencart.com Administrator / Quality Assurance Analyst / Programmer / Opencart Tester


Legendary Member

Posts

Joined
Mon Nov 14, 2011 11:38 pm
Location - Canada, ON

Post by glolar » Fri Apr 24, 2020 12:04 pm

straightlight wrote:
Fri Apr 24, 2020 6:33 am
glolar wrote:
Fri Apr 24, 2020 5:44 am
straightlight wrote:
Fri Apr 24, 2020 5:40 am


Which is why, the very first post of the FAQ topic indicates the fact on this. Only use the automated move out if you have a dedicated server. Otherwise, this modal window becomes a decoration due to the chance of succession on moving this storage folder outside its public_html folder without crashing. This issue has been investigated a long time ago and the main reason why I have decided to build a FAQ page; to provide guidance to the people that keeps posting about the same issues on a day-to-day basis.
A FAQ page doesn't help the poor sap that is sitting in front of his computer trying to interpret that shitty message on the popup screen when he logs into the Admin panel for the first time after upgrading to 3.0.2.0.

Wouldn't need a damn FAQ on this issue, and people wouldn't be constantly asking the same question on a day to day basis if the popup message were not CONFUSING.
While one can still complain about it, before the FAQ page, Opencart did not had a stand-alone FAQ page on the forum. Forum users only had separated topics to dig into by, either, using Google or the forum search. If all users would be able to track all the keywords by themselves, we wouldn't even need a FAQ section since, obviously, everybody would know everything. Since they'd know everything, then why use Google? We then don't need them right? The industry must of think back in 2001 that nobody will ever need to search for any queries on Google search since they know everything already.

Since we all know it ain't the case, which is why this FAQ page has been created; so that users can rely on it to troubleshoot the most commonly known issues encountered with Opencart in order to reduce the major incidents. Should we find all the answers in there? Absolutely not as we know there are still many answers that needs to be collected and those answers needs to be about persistent issues that were encountered in the past and from the downloads section of Opencart.com .

If you don't like to face the reality based on the fact that a FAQ could help a great mount of users, then rather think before the moment where people didn't even had a FAQ; how bad it was and how deep users had to search for their answers back then. In addition, new issues can already be reported on the Github Opencart namespace at: https://www.github.com/opencart/opencart/issues regarding leftovered issues found on the master branch and NOT for previous OC versions unless being proved as being persistent and relevant issues.

With that being said, you should be trilled to know there's someone taking care of the FAQs instead of unloading the bag to people that are trying to help you.
You just don't seem to be able to grasp the simple concept that someone trying to figure out that message is not going to know there is anything in the FAQ about it, or necessarily even KNOW that there IS a FAQ.

The FAQ cannot help anyone about this specific issue, until after the fact. After they've misinterpreted the message, and AFTER they discover that they put their storage folder in the wrong location.

I never badmouthed the FAQ, and I never said it doesn't help a great number of users, but good try at gaslighting me. My comments were about the confusing message. The hour you spent pontificating on this subject could have been spent fixing that one sentence popup message to make it more understandable for future users, and save you time responding to the same message you admitted you were getting "every day".

Increase Your Child's I.Q.
iPad Wallpapers
Turtle & Tortoise Screen Savers


User avatar
Active Member

Posts

Joined
Thu Jul 29, 2010 12:35 pm
Location - San Diego, CA

Post by straightlight » Fri Apr 24, 2020 7:11 pm

You just don't seem to be able to grasp the simple concept that someone trying to figure out that message is not going to know there is anything in the FAQ about it, or necessarily even KNOW that there IS a FAQ.
That is because people don't take the time to read what's on top of the forum when entering the forum.
The FAQ cannot help anyone about this specific issue, until after the fact. After they've misinterpreted the message, and AFTER they discover that they put their storage folder in the wrong location.
Their own doing prior on requesting general support on the forum to ensure store owners are applying actions the way they should.
I never badmouthed the FAQ, and I never said it doesn't help a great number of users, but good try at gaslighting me. My comments were about the confusing message. The hour you spent pontificating on this subject could have been spent fixing that one sentence popup message to make it more understandable for future users, and save you time responding to the same message you admitted you were getting "every day".
However, you are publicly announcing as one user to other users regarding the dissatisfaction about the window modal message as well as the FAQ. While you claim you have never badmouthed the FAQ, you are still criticizing against it. So to add, it does not take "pontificating" hours on a subject to reply this down, it only takes me a couple of minutes or so to do it.

Fixing past releases will not happened. Only on future releases shall we see bug-fixes solutions encountered and already reported in the past. As the forum do get these sorts of feedbacks everyday, there is no need to post for another one regarding the same issue. Opencart has operated the same way, based on the publishing of new releases, and won't change soon enough - at least - not without the Cloud version. Since there are no official release date for this version, there's no point to argue about it.

Therefore, while the feedback is appreciated, enough information has been provided on the topic. The reason why we have a forum is to be able to assist forum users with the most positive ways that we can as this forum will keep working that way. This forum is not a rehabilitation center, not to discriminate, but rather a forum where we assist users with the Opencart platform issues which does not include 3rd party extension issues; the Marketplace already handles those claims. As for the window modal message, should we have a better quality message meeting your total discretion, please post on the Opencart Github > Pull Requests tab so that the Opencart team may review it in the future.

The most generated errors being found on Opencart forum originates from contributed programming. The increased post counters are caused by redundancies of the same solutions that were already provided prior.


Regards,
Straightlight
Opencart.com Administrator / Quality Assurance Analyst / Programmer / Opencart Tester


Legendary Member

Posts

Joined
Mon Nov 14, 2011 11:38 pm
Location - Canada, ON

Post by glolar » Sat Apr 25, 2020 1:45 am

straightlight wrote:
Fri Apr 24, 2020 7:11 pm
You just don't seem to be able to grasp the simple concept that someone trying to figure out that message is not going to know there is anything in the FAQ about it, or necessarily even KNOW that there IS a FAQ.
That is because people don't take the time to read what's on top of the forum when entering the forum.
The FAQ cannot help anyone about this specific issue, until after the fact. After they've misinterpreted the message, and AFTER they discover that they put their storage folder in the wrong location.
Their own doing prior on requesting general support on the forum to ensure store owners are applying actions the way they should.
I never badmouthed the FAQ, and I never said it doesn't help a great number of users, but good try at gaslighting me. My comments were about the confusing message. The hour you spent pontificating on this subject could have been spent fixing that one sentence popup message to make it more understandable for future users, and save you time responding to the same message you admitted you were getting "every day".
However, you are publicly announcing as one user to other users regarding the dissatisfaction about the window modal message as well as the FAQ. While you claim you have never badmouthed the FAQ, you are still criticizing against it. So to add, it does not take "pontificating" hours on a subject to reply this down, it only takes me a couple of minutes or so to do it.

Fixing past releases will not happened. Only on future releases shall we see bug-fixes solutions encountered and already reported in the past. As the forum do get these sorts of feedbacks everyday, there is no need to post for another one regarding the same issue. Opencart has operated the same way, based on the publishing of new releases, and won't change soon enough - at least - not without the Cloud version. Since there are no official release date for this version, there's no point to argue about it.

Therefore, while the feedback is appreciated, enough information has been provided on the topic. The reason why we have a forum is to be able to assist forum users with the most positive ways that we can as this forum will keep working that way. This forum is not a rehabilitation center, not to discriminate, but rather a forum where we assist users with the Opencart platform issues which does not include 3rd party extension issues; the Marketplace already handles those claims. As for the window modal message, should we have a better quality message meeting your total discretion, please post on the Opencart Github > Pull Requests tab so that the Opencart team may review it in the future.
My original question was simply to find out what syntax to use on the Rewrite statement in the .htaccess file, but YOU turned it into a big diatribe about the FAQ. The FAQ does not address my question about the Rewrite statement in the .htaccess file. That is not bashing the FAQ. That is a statement in fact.

I refuse to engage in a battle of wits with an unarmed opponent, so this is the final word I will have on the subject.

Increase Your Child's I.Q.
iPad Wallpapers
Turtle & Tortoise Screen Savers


User avatar
Active Member

Posts

Joined
Thu Jul 29, 2010 12:35 pm
Location - San Diego, CA

Post by straightlight » Sat Apr 25, 2020 1:57 am

glolar wrote:
Sat Apr 25, 2020 1:45 am
straightlight wrote:
Fri Apr 24, 2020 7:11 pm
You just don't seem to be able to grasp the simple concept that someone trying to figure out that message is not going to know there is anything in the FAQ about it, or necessarily even KNOW that there IS a FAQ.
That is because people don't take the time to read what's on top of the forum when entering the forum.
The FAQ cannot help anyone about this specific issue, until after the fact. After they've misinterpreted the message, and AFTER they discover that they put their storage folder in the wrong location.
Their own doing prior on requesting general support on the forum to ensure store owners are applying actions the way they should.
I never badmouthed the FAQ, and I never said it doesn't help a great number of users, but good try at gaslighting me. My comments were about the confusing message. The hour you spent pontificating on this subject could have been spent fixing that one sentence popup message to make it more understandable for future users, and save you time responding to the same message you admitted you were getting "every day".
However, you are publicly announcing as one user to other users regarding the dissatisfaction about the window modal message as well as the FAQ. While you claim you have never badmouthed the FAQ, you are still criticizing against it. So to add, it does not take "pontificating" hours on a subject to reply this down, it only takes me a couple of minutes or so to do it.

Fixing past releases will not happened. Only on future releases shall we see bug-fixes solutions encountered and already reported in the past. As the forum do get these sorts of feedbacks everyday, there is no need to post for another one regarding the same issue. Opencart has operated the same way, based on the publishing of new releases, and won't change soon enough - at least - not without the Cloud version. Since there are no official release date for this version, there's no point to argue about it.

Therefore, while the feedback is appreciated, enough information has been provided on the topic. The reason why we have a forum is to be able to assist forum users with the most positive ways that we can as this forum will keep working that way. This forum is not a rehabilitation center, not to discriminate, but rather a forum where we assist users with the Opencart platform issues which does not include 3rd party extension issues; the Marketplace already handles those claims. As for the window modal message, should we have a better quality message meeting your total discretion, please post on the Opencart Github > Pull Requests tab so that the Opencart team may review it in the future.
My original question was simply to find out what syntax to use on the Rewrite statement in the .htaccess file, but YOU turned it into a big diatribe about the FAQ. The FAQ does not address my question about the Rewrite statement in the .htaccess file. That is not bashing the FAQ. That is a statement in fact.

I refuse to engage in a battle of wits with an unarmed opponent, so this is the final word I will have on the subject.
No problem. As for the reason why the FAQ was provided is also due to the fact that you had the storage folder stored in the wrong location in the first place. Otherwise, if the reported issue on your behalf would of simply been about the .htaccess file, and for you to avoid that argument, the so many posts wouldn't need to be involved.

Therefore, to ensure this conversation does not continue further, this topic will now be locked.

The most generated errors being found on Opencart forum originates from contributed programming. The increased post counters are caused by redundancies of the same solutions that were already provided prior.


Regards,
Straightlight
Opencart.com Administrator / Quality Assurance Analyst / Programmer / Opencart Tester


Legendary Member

Posts

Joined
Mon Nov 14, 2011 11:38 pm
Location - Canada, ON
Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 7 guests