Post by aerno » Sun Apr 21, 2019 10:35 pm

It will probably have been requested and answered many times, but as the search function of this forum is really limited by only allowing 4 words I cannot find a valid answer..

Searching on DuckDuckGo gives me a Github question:
https://github.com/opencart/opencart/issues/5769

A member called Daniel not even getting into explaining on how to fix the issue. Not getting me anything further.

As advised in the upgrade readme I did re-save my store's settings in the system->settings->store name(default) menu.

Finishing the upgrade procedure brings me to this error in the front end of the store:

Error: A theme has not been assigned to this store!

Just 're-save' your theme and you're good to go.

Going to Design->Theme Editor:

Choose your store
Choose a template
The theme editor uses the template language Twig. You can read about Twig syntax here.
Theme History

Nothing I can select or re-save there.

Secondly the admin part of the OpenCart webshop is really slow. Even the login page is already taking 10+ seconds to appear.

Maybe the 'live' plugins/extensions part of OpenCart is slowing us down ?

Post by xxvirusxx » Mon Apr 22, 2019 2:41 am

1. Go to Extensions-->Themes and check if Default theme is installed
2. Go to Settings, edit you store, select Default theme and Save.

And should work.

Upgrade Service | OC 2.3.0.2 PHP 8 | My Custom OC 3.0.3.8 | Buy me a beer

Expert Member

Location - România

Post by IP_CAM » Mon Apr 22, 2019 3:50 am

A member called Daniel not even getting into explaining
Well, that 'member' is the Boss, Owner, and Chief in OC Command. :laugh:
And Github is a Place for Dev's, and not really for Users, asking Questions.
---
'live' plugins/extensions part of OpenCart slowing us down ?
Most likely depends on the Quantity used, as well as the Quality,
since not all Mods for the same purpose are created equal. ;)
But if OC would have most everything nicely built-in by Default,
there would be no Business, and so no OC either. :choke:

So, better don't take it personal, it's not meant that way.
But a FREE OC ZIP File does not include Support. And if it is
not strictly about OC Source only, but whatever else,
better do NOT expect it to be of interest for them on Github
either.

If one can live with that ... ;)
Ernie

My Github OC Site: https://github.com/IP-CAM
5'200 + FREE OC Extensions, on the World's largest private Github OC Repository Archive Site.

Legendary Member

Location - Switzerland

Post by aerno » Mon Apr 22, 2019 8:35 pm

Yesterday end of the afternoon we found out that in 2 places the Default Theme needed to be chosen / selected to get rid of the 'A theme has not been assigned to this store!' error.

Pity that it wasn't explained in detail in the 'upgrade.txt' on how to re-select the Default Theme that has been actually our standard setting for years. It would have saved us hours searching for it.

PS. we don't have any external themes or pluging installed other than the IDEAL payment system.

---

Up to the next issue, of the OpenCart 3.0.3.2 being really slow in the Admin part is because of the SCSS compiler being involved at every page load of the Admin part of OpenCart.

Can be fixed easiely:

Comment out line 26 in the file system/config/admin.php:
// 'startup/sass',

Only after looking with 'strace -f -p `pidof httpd`` I was able to find out what was slowing down our server so much when loading the Admin pages. The SASS was causing the Apache httpd to run 100% for about 10+ seconds on every reload.

---

In the meanwhile we noticed that all our customized settings in OpenCart were gone after the 2.3 -> 3.0.3.2 upgrade. Shipment methods, payment methods, company addresses, it all seemed lost without a cause.

Only the customer database, the order database and products database seem to survive an upgrade from version 2 to 3. Could have been documented I would say.

Okay bad luck, alot of work, but overcomeable. The shop could use a paint job anyway ;-)

---

Last and final installation issue we came across on the Easter afternoon:

As for the latest stable Mollie IDEAL plugin (9.0.5) it is required to install VQMod. I never fancied the idea of having the Apache httpd generate its own .php files and executing them later on in the temp directory because of safety concerns. Self modifying code anyone ;-) Thats why I don't have that in our 2.3 OpenCart setup.

After having setup VQMod and getting that working, which is easy BTW, it seemed to work fine.

---

After diner we evaluated the upgrade of our webshop system by browsing through as many products as we could and looking at how the checkout process performs for customers. We could only conclude it had become slow. Product lists load slower, products themselves load slow and the whole shop feels sluggish.

It all feels like our dedicated 1.6 GHz dual core 4GB RAM, Samsung SSD based server has trouble keeping up with the high demands of the OpenCart 3.0.3.2 system.

---

We decided the new OpenCart 3.0.3.2 setup would slow our customers down in browsing and possibly irritate them when as the webshop system feels sluggish. Thats why we decided for a complete 'revert changes' and go back to our OpenCart 2.3.0 setup.

After some MYSQL Drop Table juggling, some 'rm -rf' magic and reload of our backups the system was back up and running as it used to be.

The system feels snappy again and much quicker than our 3.0.3.2 setup. Products load at least 30% faster in 2.3.0 than in 3.0.3. It feels like its even much more, but I don't like to exaggerate.

PS. I didn't do any scientific research on the benchmarks of the 2.3.0 setup and 3.0.3.2 setup as I didn't get the time for doing that.

We feel like we're on a dead end with OpenCart. As per Twilight Zone pinball: 'You've come to the end of your Journey'.

We never asked for dynamic PHP generation, SCSS (SASS) stylesheet generation, builtin Marketplace, responsiveness and other fancy stuff, all we would like is just a stable, safe and snappy webshop experience for our customers.

Post by IP_CAM » Mon Apr 22, 2019 9:01 pm

We never asked for dynamic PHP generation, SCSS (SASS) stylesheet
generation, builtin Marketplace, responsiveness and other fancy stuff ...
Well, why then did you UPGRADE in the first Place ? :laugh: :crazy:
And you should have known, that in 99.9 % of all cases, upgrading OC's
will not function anyway, since nobody only uses Stock OC Software only,
but most everybody uses some Extensions, changing default OC Behaviour
in some ways.

So, better don't complain, it was your free choice, trying to 'move up', and
expecting something, what is not the case. Everybody is free, to read about
such first, before waking up in tears. :choke:

OC is an ongoing project, and free, to change, whatever they feel like.
One is free, to accept it, or then, better just move on to something else.

Good Luck! :D
Ernie

My Github OC Site: https://github.com/IP-CAM
5'200 + FREE OC Extensions, on the World's largest private Github OC Repository Archive Site.

Legendary Member

Location - Switzerland

Post by JamesSmithy_78 » Tue May 14, 2019 8:04 pm

We never asked for dynamic PHP generation, SCSS (SASS) stylesheet
generation, builtin Marketplace, responsiveness and other fancy stuff ...
Well, why then did you UPGRADE in the first Place ? :laugh: :crazy: And you should have known, that in 99.9 % of all cases, upgrading OC's will not function anyway, since nobody only uses Stock OC Software only, but most everybody uses some Extensions, changing default OC Behaviour in some ways. I wrote the article about this problem with help of https://gradesfixer.com/free-essay-examples/success/. It was quite useful.

So, better don't complain, it was your free choice, trying to 'move up', and
expecting something, what is not the case. Everybody is free, to read about
such first, before waking up in tears. :choke:

OC is an ongoing project, and free, to change, whatever they feel like.
One is free, to accept it, or then, better just move on to something else.

Good Luck! :D
Ernie
However, I had a case about upgrading OC that was functioning enough well. And taking a point that I did it as a first time.

Post by chrispeterson0071 » Mon Oct 12, 2020 1:35 am

I own a WordPress blog and wanted to integrate Opencard with my blog. Actually, I wanted to sell a tracking app with its review. As told in this forum post, my blog got very slow after integrating this extension. I discussed with many communities but didn't get a solution. After 2 months I installed the WordPress again and updated PHP version on my server, this solved my problem.

So the problem in the case was older WordPress and PHP version. Thanks!

Post by ZZoff » Fri Oct 16, 2020 2:31 pm

My OC 2.3.0.2 shop admin pages became very slow (40seconds to open) after upgrade MySQL to version 8.0.21. I disabled the line in system\config\admin.php
//'startup/sass',. Also added index on date_added and date_modified field in oc_order table. Now admin pages seems to run fine. Hope this helps.

Post by letxobnav » Fri Oct 16, 2020 4:03 pm

yes, you don't need sass unless you have scss files that need compiling, from extensions perhaps.
Other than that it just recompiles the bootstrap stuff again and again.

Crystal Light Centrum Taiwan
Extensions: MailQueue | SUKHR | VBoces

“Data security is paramount at [...], and we are committed to protecting the privacy of anyone who is associated with our [...]. We’ve made a lot of improvements and will continue to make them.”
When you know your life savings are gone.

Expert Member

Location - Taiwan