I have tried several methods of upgrading the store, with varying success. We are thinking it might be best to build a new store and utilise an external data migration service like cart2cart or Next-Cart. Open to suggestions though.
Our requirements are:-
- A great responsive theme optimised for mobile first that does not overwrite core files.
- Retain organic search ratings by keeping the same SEO friendly URLs.
- Single page checkout that's easy to read.
- Extra module positions for placement of html, specials, brands, popular, etc.
- Shipping estimate before checkout.
- Integrated blog - not using external service.
- Integrated newsletter - not using external service.
- Subscribe to newsletter popup with adjustment of delay after page load.
- Dropdown or flyout menu that allows images.
- A better article editor that allows styles to be applied (to avoid the use of manual font attributes etc).
Unfortunately, this theme overwrites many core files and takes over the default OC theme which will make the upgrade options more time consuming and also create compatibility issues with other extensions, I am sure. I have tried a few themes from envato elements and they all overwrite core files (sigh).
We are happy to consider using an experienced OC developer to do an upgrade on the existing site (using a backup on a staging site), but they would need to be in or nearby Australia, and would need to provide references or show experience in manhandling this elderly 188.8.131.52 version.
If you need any more information please ask questions.
If you recommend an external data migration service, please provide you experiences with the service especially around taking data from such an old OC version.
Thanks and regards, Graham