Post by webenhanced » Mon May 25, 2020 9:17 am

We have an existing site running OC v1.5.3.1 with Shoppica 2 theme (yuk) and multiple vqmod additions. We want to upgrade to take advantage of responsive themes, ongoing support, and better range of extensions. We are looking for advise about the best version of OC to use, which extensions to use, and which approach would achieve the results listed below. The owner of the store reckons he is only 3 years away from retiring, so that could mean it would be better to stay OC v2.3.x. for stability (and less need to upgrade OC).

I have tried several methods of upgrading the store, with varying success. We are thinking it might be best to build a new store and utilise an external data migration service like cart2cart or Next-Cart. Open to suggestions though.

Our requirements are:-
  1. A great responsive theme optimised for mobile first that does not overwrite core files.
  2. Retain organic search ratings by keeping the same SEO friendly URLs.
  3. Single page checkout that's easy to read.
  4. Extra module positions for placement of html, specials, brands, popular, etc.
  5. Shipping estimate before checkout.
  6. Integrated blog - not using external service.
  7. Integrated newsletter - not using external service.
  8. Subscribe to newsletter popup with adjustment of delay after page load.
  9. Dropdown or flyout menu that allows images.
  10. A better article editor that allows styles to be applied (to avoid the use of manual font attributes etc).
We have looked around at themes (in the OC marketplace and Envato Elements) and liked the layout of Bege http://demo.towerthemes.com/tt_bege/
Unfortunately, this theme overwrites many core files and takes over the default OC theme which will make the upgrade options more time consuming and also create compatibility issues with other extensions, I am sure. I have tried a few themes from envato elements and they all overwrite core files (sigh).

We are happy to consider using an experienced OC developer to do an upgrade on the existing site (using a backup on a staging site), but they would need to be in or nearby Australia, and would need to provide references or show experience in manhandling this elderly 1.5.3.1 version.

If you need any more information please ask questions.

If you recommend an external data migration service, please provide you experiences with the service especially around taking data from such an old OC version.

Thanks and regards, Graham

Location - Queensland, Australia

Post by webenhanced » Mon May 25, 2020 1:35 pm

Is this posted in the right forum? If not, admins please move it.

Post by AnnieSteward » Tue May 26, 2020 5:24 pm

webenhanced wrote:
Mon May 25, 2020 1:35 pm
Is this posted in the right forum? If not, admins please move it.
Did the store owner urge a quick solution? Seeing that you listed 10 requirements, pretty sure you would have to contact multiple parties to get the job done. About the migration requirement, I would recommend LitExtension as an available external data migration service. They support migrating the elderly OP version 1.x to later versions easily and provide additional services to maintain your SEO ranking (SEO URLs migration).

Previously you mentioned cart2cart and next cart for the solution. However, to diversify your choice, you should go visit LitExtension for a while and check how advanced their migration tools are. They even have much better customer service quality compared to the rest in the industry.
Here's the video how you learn to upgrade OP:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x2WC8JyAJVs

Post by SarahJMarsters » Tue May 26, 2020 9:43 pm

Hi, I've used Cart2Cart. Needed to migrate an old oscommerce shop to opencart and everything went smoothly saving me hours of work. The service is really cheap when compared to other companies of such kind. The customer support provided guidance and help during the entire process. I did a demo and then went ahead with the full migration. It was surprisingly quick, within just a couple of hours I had successfully transferred all the data. So I would recommend turning to these guys. Or, if you're still considering other options, you may just run a demo there. Maybe it'll help you decide.

Post by xxvirusxx » Wed May 27, 2020 2:16 am

SarahJMarsters wrote:
Tue May 26, 2020 9:43 pm
Hi, I've used Cart2Cart. Needed to migrate an old oscommerce shop to opencart and everything went smoothly saving me hours of work. The service is really cheap when compared to other companies of such kind. The customer support provided guidance and help during the entire process. I did a demo and then went ahead with the full migration. It was surprisingly quick, within just a couple of hours I had successfully transferred all the data. So I would recommend turning to these guys. Or, if you're still considering other options, you may just run a demo there. Maybe it'll help you decide.
Fking spammer

Upgrade Service | OC 2.3.0.2 PHP 8 | My Custom OC 3.0.3.8 | Buy me a beer

Expert Member

Location - România

Post by webenhanced » Wed May 27, 2020 9:45 am

xxvirusxx wrote:
Wed May 27, 2020 2:16 am
Fking spammer
Yep! And the post before it too.

I am actually giving next-cart a go. I did a demo migrate and it had a couple of problems with seo urls, and their system seemed to think the clean OC v2.3.0.2 was a OC v3.x which would account for the seo url issue.

But the email response from their support staff was quick and friendly and offered to monitor and fix that and any other issue that came up. Considering the large price difference between them and cart2cart, we are going to give them a go, and fall back to cart2cart should the process not work out with next-cart. we used cart2cart about 7 years ago to migrate from os-commerce to opencart, and it went pretty well ... only needing a few fixes and adjustments.

I'll report back here with the results.

Post by EvolveWebHosting » Wed Jun 03, 2020 10:53 pm

webenhanced wrote:
Mon May 25, 2020 9:17 am
We have an existing site running OC v1.5.3.1 with Shoppica 2 theme (yuk) and multiple vqmod additions. We want to upgrade to take advantage of responsive themes, ongoing support, and better range of extensions. We are looking for advise about the best version of OC to use, which extensions to use, and which approach would achieve the results listed below. The owner of the store reckons he is only 3 years away from retiring, so that could mean it would be better to stay OC v2.3.x. for stability (and less need to upgrade OC).

I have tried several methods of upgrading the store, with varying success. We are thinking it might be best to build a new store and utilise an external data migration service like cart2cart or Next-Cart. Open to suggestions though.

Our requirements are:-
  1. A great responsive theme optimised for mobile first that does not overwrite core files.
  2. Retain organic search ratings by keeping the same SEO friendly URLs.
  3. Single page checkout that's easy to read.
  4. Extra module positions for placement of html, specials, brands, popular, etc.
  5. Shipping estimate before checkout.
  6. Integrated blog - not using external service.
  7. Integrated newsletter - not using external service.
  8. Subscribe to newsletter popup with adjustment of delay after page load.
  9. Dropdown or flyout menu that allows images.
  10. A better article editor that allows styles to be applied (to avoid the use of manual font attributes etc).
We have looked around at themes (in the OC marketplace and Envato Elements) and liked the layout of Bege http://demo.towerthemes.com/tt_bege/
Unfortunately, this theme overwrites many core files and takes over the default OC theme which will make the upgrade options more time consuming and also create compatibility issues with other extensions, I am sure. I have tried a few themes from envato elements and they all overwrite core files (sigh).

We are happy to consider using an experienced OC developer to do an upgrade on the existing site (using a backup on a staging site), but they would need to be in or nearby Australia, and would need to provide references or show experience in manhandling this elderly 1.5.3.1 version.

If you need any more information please ask questions.

If you recommend an external data migration service, please provide you experiences with the service especially around taking data from such an old OC version.

Thanks and regards, Graham
To answer your original question about versions, I personally think it's a good idea to use Opencart v3.0.3.3 (includes a lot of bug fixes that v3.0.3.2 didn't have). 2.x versions are never going to receive updates and the team stopped developing those versions back in 2016.

Opencart Hosting Plans, Domain Registration, Microsoft and Google Email and More
Visit our website for great deals and most importantly, fast and friendly support - www.evolvewebhost.com

Location - Denver, Colorado, USA

Post by straightlight » Thu Jun 04, 2020 2:06 am

Better to start fresh with the pre-release version of OC v3.0.3.4: viewtopic.php?f=2&t=218204 . It's becoming quite stable, 99% of the bug issues have been resolved, so far.

Dedication and passion goes to those who are able to push and merge a project.

Regards,
Straightlight
Programmer / Opencart Tester

Legendary Member

Location - Canada, ON

Post by webenhanced » Fri Jun 05, 2020 8:39 am

Thanks for your suggestions about 3.0.3.3/4 fellows.

We look like going with Journal 3 theme which looks really nice in the way it slides into opencart without overwriting. There is quite a learning curve with their comprehensive control panel for adjusting "everything" almost, but I think it is worth the training requirements for the client. It also looks good from an opencart upgrade path as well.

So we have already started the data migration from the live site to a staging site (OC2.3.0.2). And we have begun the process of changing from /images/data/ to /images/catalog. The migration did not do this for us, just copied the images structure from the live site. The images links in the product and category descriptions still work, but, of course, the images do not appear in the image manager within OC. Bit of work to do there and I'm training up one of the client's staff to move through the site updating the images (and take the opportunity to prune out 7 years worth of old unused images). We are also cleaning up a heap of absolute links (img and url) while we are at it.

I am thinking we would do the clean up, do the final update migration, then take that live. Once settled, then upgrade OC to v3.0.3.x. Is this a sound strategy in your eyes?

Thanks again for your feedback guys.