Post by CaptainHaddock » Thu Jun 03, 2021 12:54 pm

Hi all,
I have had an OC1551 multistore hosted on managed VPS at Siteground for many years. Their are ~20,000 products.
I have nearly finished rebuilding it as an OC3.0.3.7 store with up to date php and other improvements etc.
I am ready to finish data migration to the new store.
So, it seems like a good time to consider if worth switching host.
The reason is Siteground is pretty expensive. Their support has been good, (perhaps less so recently). However their cost has gone up and there are other aspects I not satisfied with such as they no longer provide cpanel and only provide 7 days of automated backups on VPS plans.
I have a plan with 8gb ram, 4 cpu cores, 40gb ssd and it costs US$100 for US hosting on their google cloud infrastructure.
On the Reddit hosting forum I see people talking about much cheaper VPS plans. But I don't know whether they would be ok for Opencart.
Any suggestions for other hosts I could look into?
How difficult is it to setup unmanaged VPS Hosting in terms of installing PHP,MySQL, NGINX etc? Is it worth it or better to stick with managed hosting?

Would be great to get some feedback.
Thanks

Post by straightlight » Thu Jun 03, 2021 6:18 pm

CaptainHaddock wrote:
Thu Jun 03, 2021 12:54 pm
Hi all,
I have had an OC1551 multistore hosted on managed VPS at Siteground for many years. Their are ~20,000 products.
I have nearly finished rebuilding it as an OC3.0.3.7 store with up to date php and other improvements etc.
I am ready to finish data migration to the new store.
So, it seems like a good time to consider if worth switching host.
The reason is Siteground is pretty expensive. Their support has been good, (perhaps less so recently). However their cost has gone up and there are other aspects I not satisfied with such as they no longer provide cpanel and only provide 7 days of automated backups on VPS plans.
I have a plan with 8gb ram, 4 cpu cores, 40gb ssd and it costs US$100 for US hosting on their google cloud infrastructure.
On the Reddit hosting forum I see people talking about much cheaper VPS plans. But I don't know whether they would be ok for Opencart.
Any suggestions for other hosts I could look into?
How difficult is it to setup unmanaged VPS Hosting in terms of installing PHP,MySQL, NGINX etc? Is it worth it or better to stick with managed hosting?

Would be great to get some feedback.
Thanks
The simplest answer to that would be to simply consider the possibility that if you're not sure on how to manage an unmanaged hosting VPS hosting service yourself, then better to consider the managed hosting package instead.

Dedication and passion goes to those who are able to push and merge a project.

Regards,
Straightlight
Programmer / Opencart Tester

Legendary Member

Location - Canada, ON

Post by CaptainHaddock » Tue Jun 15, 2021 11:09 am

Thanks Straightlight.
Will take your advice and go for a managed VPS.
Anyone reading this who uses Managed VPS hosting, what company are you using and are you happy with it?
I am just looking for some suggestions that I can research.
Thanks