Post by alex1 » Wed Mar 28, 2012 11:45 am

Can you release a clean 1.5.2.2 and host it on the google svn?

This way we can do a fresh install w/o having to run an upgrade on a fresh install.

Thanks

Active Member

Posts

Joined
Sat Oct 16, 2010 9:49 am

Post by alex1 » Wed Mar 28, 2012 11:46 am

Qphoria wrote:
Johnathan wrote:Hey Q or Daniel: any chance on getting a 1.5.2.2 released with all the bugfixes up until now? Thanks if possible
I've got the nightly setup on my site... but not ready for the bandwidth.
For now I've attached it to the first thread.
No need to worry about the bandwidth, just host it on the google svn site.

I feel a 1.5.2.2 release with all these bug fixes would be a great thing for the community and anyone future downloading OC

Active Member

Posts

Joined
Sat Oct 16, 2010 9:49 am

Post by Qphoria » Wed Mar 28, 2012 11:09 pm

alex1 wrote: I feel a 1.5.2.2 release with all these bug fixes would be a great thing for the community and anyone future downloading OC
The problem is that new releases cause drama. I wish we could have a more binary approach. You download firefox and chrome one time and one time only. After that it updates in the background automatically and you don't even know it.

That is harder to do with an opensource system. I am instead trying to integrate an upgrade system that lets you download it once and then upgrades to new versions from within the admin. This way it wont' matter if you download version 1.5 and we are on version 2.0.. it would let you upgrade directly from within.

So I'm trying to shy away from these point releases and just release a "1.5.2" and have all updates for 1.5.2 come as automatic updates via patch. The same patch I attached in the first thread, would be pulled from the server directly from the admin area on your site, auto extract and overwrite the files on your server. This means we need to make all changes as vQmod and no more core changes.

I also have to plan for people with shit webhosts that have file write issues, curl issues, no ZipArchive php extension, etc. So for those people, the graceful fail option would be to manually download the same patch from the server, and upload it manually. This way both automatic and graceful fail can always use the same file base.

This also means less people whining about the same bug 50 times in the forum. You have a bug? click update in your admin area.. Did it fix the bug? If yes, carry on, if not, THEN you can write a bug. It would also run the update during the initial install process, so immediately it could fix bugs for new installs.

So that is why I would prefer not to release 1.5.2.2 or 1.5.2.5 etc.. The next release should be 1.5.3 and point releases should maybe be left as svn revisions.. like 1.5.2.r980 or something useful.

Image
Donate!|OpenCart Basics|GeoZones
Image


User avatar
Administrator

Posts

Joined
Tue Jul 22, 2008 3:02 am

Post by aaron1988 » Thu Mar 29, 2012 12:31 am

Hi Q, thats sounds like nice feature, something like Wordpress and Joomla 2.5 then :) you can upgrade from the backend instead of actually doing it all manually or editing core files all the time. Will this updatre your thinking of work with the themes and custom themes when i mean custom themes i mean just CSS kid of edits :).

Aaron

Active Member

Posts

Joined
Thu Jan 27, 2011 10:03 am

Post by Calcite » Thu Mar 29, 2012 7:55 am

Would be nice to see a list of bug fixes for the patches, or am I just not looking in the right place?

Active Member

Posts

Joined
Fri Dec 30, 2011 3:21 am

Post by Alexisander » Thu Mar 29, 2012 6:03 pm

Well... i have 1.5.2.1 now and ... i like it, i dont have any complains, it is all ok for me. Few bugs but i have fixed them.

I think there wont be a new OC this year, when i say new OC i talk about 1.5.3

Active Member

Posts

Joined
Mon Jul 18, 2011 10:11 pm

Post by Qphoria » Thu Mar 29, 2012 10:03 pm

Calcite wrote:Would be nice to see a list of bug fixes for the patches, or am I just not looking in the right place?
Check the 1.5.2 bug thread.. everything before this date

Image
Donate!|OpenCart Basics|GeoZones
Image


User avatar
Administrator

Posts

Joined
Tue Jul 22, 2008 3:02 am

Post by Qphoria » Thu Mar 29, 2012 10:05 pm

aaron1988 wrote:Hi Q, thats sounds like nice feature, something like Wordpress and Joomla 2.5 then :) you can upgrade from the backend instead of actually doing it all manually or editing core files all the time. Will this updatre your thinking of work with the themes and custom themes when i mean custom themes i mean just CSS kid of edits :).

Aaron
It would work the same was as it does if you manually upgraded. It just handles the file copy and unzipping for you as that is where most people seem to have a mental block. From there, if it has new theme changes then further instructions will be included.

Image
Donate!|OpenCart Basics|GeoZones
Image


User avatar
Administrator

Posts

Joined
Tue Jul 22, 2008 3:02 am

Post by aaron1988 » Thu Mar 29, 2012 10:07 pm

Cool Q, Also mate you on Skype as wanted to ask you something and i know PM's are not really the place for it :)

Aaron

Active Member

Posts

Joined
Thu Jan 27, 2011 10:03 am

Post by i2Paq » Fri Mar 30, 2012 4:48 pm

I see that in the current 1.5.2.1 SVN changes are added like Company VAT and Registration number etc.

Norman in 't Veldt
Moderator OpenCart Forums

_________________ READ and Search BEFORE POSTING _________________

Our FREE search: Find your answer FAST!.

[How to] BTW + Verzend + betaal setup.


User avatar
Global Moderator

Posts

Joined
Mon Nov 09, 2009 7:00 pm
Location - Winkel - The Netherlands

Post by Qphoria » Sat Mar 31, 2012 12:00 am

i2Paq wrote:I see that in the current 1.5.2.1 SVN changes are added like Company VAT and Registration number etc.
Yes. They shouldn't break anything.

Image
Donate!|OpenCart Basics|GeoZones
Image


User avatar
Administrator

Posts

Joined
Tue Jul 22, 2008 3:02 am

Post by i2Paq » Sat Mar 31, 2012 2:39 pm

Qphoria wrote:
i2Paq wrote:I see that in the current 1.5.2.1 SVN changes are added like Company VAT and Registration number etc.
Yes. They shouldn't break anything.
I cannot find any visible parts of that Company Number or VAT number at the moment, just the language related parts.

Norman in 't Veldt
Moderator OpenCart Forums

_________________ READ and Search BEFORE POSTING _________________

Our FREE search: Find your answer FAST!.

[How to] BTW + Verzend + betaal setup.


User avatar
Global Moderator

Posts

Joined
Mon Nov 09, 2009 7:00 pm
Location - Winkel - The Netherlands

Post by Maansy » Sat Mar 31, 2012 10:46 pm

since r885-982.zip is actually an upgrade to 1.5.2.2 isn't feasible to have 1.5.2.2 as full download instead of 1.5.2.1 as i see in the first post?
new opencart users would like to download the latest release without any upgrading IMHO
just an idea.
thanks Daniel and Q for a fine release

ALL Templates :: 1.5.1+ Templates :: 50%-75% PRICE DROP ONLY at OpencartStuff.com


User avatar
Active Member

Posts

Joined
Thu Jun 24, 2010 6:04 am


Post by Qphoria » Sun Apr 01, 2012 7:11 am

Maansy wrote:since r885-982.zip is actually an upgrade to 1.5.2.2 isn't feasible to have 1.5.2.2 as full download instead of 1.5.2.1 as i see in the first post?
new opencart users would like to download the latest release without any upgrading IMHO
just an idea.
thanks Daniel and Q for a fine release
No. as i said above.. I'm trying to get away from these point releases. Once we can get this more automated from the backend, there will be no more need for them. Then we can have 1.5.2 release... and updates from the admin area will show in the footer like
1.5.3.r940
etc

Image
Donate!|OpenCart Basics|GeoZones
Image


User avatar
Administrator

Posts

Joined
Tue Jul 22, 2008 3:02 am

Post by wroughtec » Sun Apr 01, 2012 6:38 pm

I see one issue with no point release and that being people who have vqmods, if one suddenly stops working because say the search reference fails or what have you. They then contact the author who asks them which version they have what do they answer?

I think with any automated backend updates there has to be a revision number visibile so developers have a reference point to check against of course this may be what you already had planned but just spent 30 mins trying to work out why a vqmod did not work only to discover it was because an extra space had been added in on the latest revision compared to what the developer had been using to right the vqmod (I know not the most efficient way to do a search).

New member

Posts

Joined
Sat Feb 18, 2012 7:45 am

Post by alex1 » Mon Apr 02, 2012 10:40 am

Qphoria wrote:
Maansy wrote:since r885-982.zip is actually an upgrade to 1.5.2.2 isn't feasible to have 1.5.2.2 as full download instead of 1.5.2.1 as i see in the first post?
new opencart users would like to download the latest release without any upgrading IMHO
just an idea.
thanks Daniel and Q for a fine release
No. as i said above.. I'm trying to get away from these point releases. Once we can get this more automated from the backend, there will be no more need for them. Then we can have 1.5.2 release... and updates from the admin area will show in the footer like
1.5.3.r940
etc
What you are saying makes sense, but since 1.5.2.1 is buggy, it would make sense to release a 1.5.2.2, and then get away from point releases. Not trying to cause problems, just offering a suggestion, and less bug requests. Most people just download the product, and then have problems with it, only to realize there was a patch that isn't listed anywhere in the downloads, you need to know where to look in the forum.

Active Member

Posts

Joined
Sat Oct 16, 2010 9:49 am

Post by Qphoria » Mon Apr 02, 2012 10:11 pm

wroughtec wrote:I see one issue with no point release and that being people who have vqmods, if one suddenly stops working because say the search reference fails or what have you. They then contact the author who asks them which version they have what do they answer?

I think with any automated backend updates there has to be a revision number visibile so developers have a reference point to check against of course this may be what you already had planned but just spent 30 mins trying to work out why a vqmod did not work only to discover it was because an extra space had been added in on the latest revision compared to what the developer had been using to right the vqmod (I know not the most efficient way to do a search).
Seems I just covered this above:
Qphoria wrote: the admin area will show in the footer like
1.5.3.r940
etc
alex1 wrote: What you are saying makes sense, but since 1.5.2.1 is buggy, it would make sense to release a 1.5.2.2, and then get away from point releases.
1.5.1 was buggy, 1.5.1.1 was buggy, 1.5.2.2 is buggy, 1.5.2.3 will be buggy, 1.6 will be buggy. You will never fix all bugs while continuing to add new features. That is just a fact of development.

Windows 7 is buggy... they don't release a Windows 7.1
They release hotfixes every tuesday. That is more like what I am trying to do.

Image
Donate!|OpenCart Basics|GeoZones
Image


User avatar
Administrator

Posts

Joined
Tue Jul 22, 2008 3:02 am

Post by jty » Tue Apr 03, 2012 2:34 am

Qphoria wrote:1.5.1 was buggy, 1.5.1.1 was buggy, 1.5.2.2 is buggy, 1.5.2.3 will be buggy, 1.6 will be buggy.
So why is it called a shopping cart. It should be called a shopping buggy
They release hotfixes every tuesday. That is more like what I am trying to do.
Wouldn't Thursdays be a better day so some countries get it on Friday, just in time for the weekend shopping buggy fix :joker:

jty
Active Member

Posts

Joined
Sat Aug 30, 2008 8:19 am

Post by Qphoria » Tue Apr 03, 2012 5:07 am

:stick:

Image
Donate!|OpenCart Basics|GeoZones
Image


User avatar
Administrator

Posts

Joined
Tue Jul 22, 2008 3:02 am

Post by DSGI » Wed Apr 04, 2012 1:30 am

Hell All -

I'm very new to software development, can you please answer these two questions:

1) If I downloaded V1.5.2.1 from the OC download page, does that software have any of the bug fixes included in it that have been found/fixed before I downloaded V1.5.2.1?

2) Moving forward, how/where do I find the fixes for bugs with the OC software? How do I install them (I'm assuming I just FTP over some files to my server)?

Thanks!

DSGI

New member

Posts

Joined
Wed Feb 08, 2012 5:28 pm
Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Google [Bot] and 6 guests