Post by sml » Wed Dec 18, 2013 8:43 pm

I checked my error log and there are many PHP notices and PHP warnings.

Do these need to fixed for any reason?

Here is an example .... but there are plenty more.

PHP Notice: Undefined variable: pbo_options in /home/xxxx/public_html/vqmod/vqcache/vq2-catalog_view_theme_fortis_template_product_product.tpl on line 106

PHP Warning: in_array() expects parameter 2 to be array, null given in /home/xxxx/public_html/vqmod/vqcache/vq2-catalog_view_theme_fortis_template_product_product.tpl on line 106

PHP Notice: Undefined variable: config in /home/xxxx/public_html/catalog/view/theme/default/template/quickcheckout/shipping_method.tpl on line 54

PHP Notice: Error: Could not load template /home/xxxx/public_html/fortis3/catalog/view/theme/default/template/module/supercategorymenu/templates/supercategorymenuadvanced.tpl! in /home/surfchim/public_html/fortis3/vqmod/vqcache/vq2-system_engine_controller.php on line 117
Last edited by sml on Tue Dec 24, 2013 6:58 am, edited 1 time in total.

sml

Post by butte » Thu Dec 19, 2013 12:23 am

Please start with version, that is usually relevant, often for very subtle reasons.

Good, for truncating to /home/xxxx/.

Yes, and for reasons. It is not happy with your theme, including a shipping method, and it is not even loading your supercategory contraption.

There are "plenty more"? You might consider having a developer look inside it to see what you have done. How many extensions do you have? Are they version compatible? Are they compatible with each other? Do you actually need them (probably not)? Is your theme version compatible with your present OC version? Are your admin settings proper?

Some logged errors are not errors, such as routine logs from PayPal and other transactions. You accordingly should protect the log files, in .htaccess and otherwise, from view and from access.

Guru Member

Post by sml » Thu Dec 19, 2013 2:40 pm

butte wrote:Please start with version.
How many extensions do you have? Are they version compatible? Are they compatible with each other? Do you actually need them (probably not)? Is your theme version compatible with your present OC version? Are your admin settings proper?
Thanks for the comment Butte.

1.5.5.1 CE

I have needed to use about 15+ extensions to get similar functionality to Magento with 2 or 3 extensions ...
Options Boost – for unique SKU per option
Newsletter
Instant Complete – to help with dropdown prompt to select fields
Layered Navigation Filter – ended up buying x3 to find a decent one
Save and Stay – to avoid the Save button redirecting to home admin
Product Block Option – improve presentation of options
Go to Cart – to redirect customer to Cart or Checkout after buying
Attribute Helper – to provide downdown to select previously used attributes
One Page Checkout
Cloudfront Integration
Out of Stock for Options
Blog Manager
SEO manager
Page cache, memcache/APC

I hope they are compatible with each other.

Yes, I think I need them :)

I had a few issues with the theme. I thought it was perfect because the front-end & back-end was working, but I never realised that I should have checked the logs :(

What do you mean about 'are my admin settings proper'?

sml

Post by billynoah » Thu Dec 19, 2013 5:25 pm

every one of those errors means something is not working as it should. if it was my site i'd want them taken care of.

Post by butte » Fri Dec 20, 2013 1:52 am

Given view_theme_fortis_template you should set default theme in admin and test everything that way. I would get rid of the theme.

Two free extensions actually kill the autocompletion boxes and put back the longstanding prior dropdown menus in admin.

These in particular:

Save and Stay – to avoid the Save button redirecting to home admin
Product Block Option – improve presentation of options
Go to Cart – to redirect customer to Cart or Checkout after buying
Attribute Helper – to provide downdown to select previously used attributes
Cloudfront Integration
Blog Manager
SEO manager
Page cache, memcache/APC

should perhaps be shunted into a subdirectory /vqmod/xml/test/ for that purpose, and then brought back in one by one. If they pass muster in concert and under the default theme, then fortis is not helping you.

Further points to test with that mix are turning both SSL and SEO off, then SSL on, then SEO on.

You can turn error reporting (to screen) ON for your convenience and quick reference while doing that, then back to OFF so that customers do not encounter it. Leave error logging (to file) ON.

If all goes well, then your quick solution will be to get rid of fortis. Did you try asking the author of fortis?

Guru Member

Post by sml » Fri Dec 20, 2013 4:58 am

Interesting .. thank you.

As a starting point, I thought I would clear the error log to see what reappears ... perhaps they were all created during my development phases - although a few dates were quite recent and I am not sure if I was doing any mods at that time.

So I cleared everything in the file and saved the file. I tried to click through every page, blog, filter, checkout and only 2 or 3 errors appeared relating to the theme file ... so perhaps the problem is not as bad as previously expected!

More testing later .. and will contact the developer.

sml

Post by butte » Fri Dec 20, 2013 5:19 am

You can rename, archive, and then delete both /system/logs/ and /vqmod/logs/ log files -- they will immediately be started anew as soon as the first error (or non-error record) is thrown. Clearing caches forces to to see what is rather than what was. Remember to shut error reporting (to screen) back to OFF when you pause for a while or are done, if you set it to ON while working on it. The errors will probably narrow which theme files to look at closely. Theme authors have the same array of version compatibilties to subdue as extension authors, and they can't usually think of everything at once in advance. When they become aware of glitches they'll tend to want to fix those, if only to avoid bad press but preferably just to have it work right.

Guru Member

Post by sml » Fri Dec 20, 2013 8:53 pm

Latest update ... thanks butte! .... I cleared the system cache and the vqmod cache, then also cleared the error.log ... then did some testing and there were no new errors ... great news. I will check back at the error log file in a few days and hopefully all is ok :)

sml

Post by butte » Sat Dec 21, 2013 2:50 am

Jolly good. Wait till you're satisfied that it stays fixed before you edit your opening title Solved.

Guru Member