Post by lipps199 » Tue Aug 04, 2015 9:53 pm

Hello,

I am having some trouble with customers getting confused. OpenCart, it seems, by default uses our home state for the customers state in checkout. This in turn causes the tax rates for our state to show up and some customers are wondering why they are being charged tax. I have figured out how to get default selection in the state dropdown to be "Please Select" but I cannot figure out how to get that to be applied to the totals. So it shows 6.75% until the zip code and state are updated.

In short, how can I make tax in the totals to not show up until the customer starts filling out their information? More or less I need the totals to not have a state or zip associated until the customer fills that info out.

As a side note I'm using One Page Checkout(UsinfgAJAX to refresh the totals when an address field is entered) and TaxCloud Integration but I believe this is how OpenCart works by default.

Here is a screenshot:
http://www.awesomescreenshot.com/image/ ... aed2792e8a

Post by kirkhall » Tue Aug 04, 2015 10:32 pm

I think you need to change System>>Settings>>Edit>>Option Tab>>Taxes>>Use Store Tax Address>>Set it to None. I actually have both set to none and the tax, if there is any, does not show up until they are checking out and enter a State for shipping.

Post by rosemine » Fri Oct 09, 2020 12:00 am

You need to go to System/Settings/Local and set the Region/State to --Please Select--
You can also do this for the Country however I like mine to default to the United States.
Admins mistake this setting as their Country and their State rather than default State/Country for their registration form and checkout defaults.