Post by RMuse » Fri Feb 08, 2019 4:55 pm

Hello. When I first downloaded Open Cart 1.5.4.1 I needed an extension for calculating the city tax for each city in California. There was an extension called California City Tax. I installed it on 1.5.4.1 and it set up a table on my data base. All I had to do was upload a csv file that listed all 973 plus cities. It took all of about 2 minutes to upload the extension and csv file. Everything worked perfect. Now I want to move up to Opencart 3+ version but I do not see any information as to whether my current version will work on the new Opencart. Moreover, I do not see the EXT ID, nor the author. Surprised no one else has this issue. I am sure I am not the only online store in California. I have searched everywhere with no luck. Emails to Opencart have gone unanswered for over a month. What is the solution? Is there an extension that now calculates taxes for every city in every state, or am I missing something. Thank you for your quick reply.

Post by Johnathan » Fri Feb 08, 2019 9:46 pm

I don't think that extension still exists (or at least, I couldn't find it) so you'd have to find something else. There are two options:

1. Use something like Postcode-Based Fee/Discount to set up your tax rates based on zip code. This doesn't exactly have a CSV import/export, though you *can* back up the settings, edit them, and then restore from the new file. You can also probably export your CSV file into this format, which would work to set up a single charge in the extension:

90000 = 8%
90001 = 8%
90002 = 8.5%
90003 = 9%
etc.

2. Use a live rate calculator service like TaxCloud or TaxJar. That's more expensive since you have to pay to use their services, but it also ensures your tax rates are always correct. I have extensions for both of those services:

• TaxCloud Integration
• TaxJar Integration

Feel free to take a look at the screenshots and demo site, and if you're interested let me know at www.getclearthinking.com/contact if you have any further questions.

Image Image Image Image

Global Moderator

Post by webgot » Thu Oct 22, 2020 11:20 pm

Hi Johnathan,

I looked up the California sales table and found about 2500 zip codes. If I paste them to Postcode-Based Fee/Discount extension to do the comparison, will it run slow? Have you ever tried it yourself?

Thanks.

James

Johnathan wrote:
Fri Feb 08, 2019 9:46 pm
I don't think that extension still exists (or at least, I couldn't find it) so you'd have to find something else. There are two options:

1. Use something like Postcode-Based Fee/Discount to set up your tax rates based on zip code. This doesn't exactly have a CSV import/export, though you *can* back up the settings, edit them, and then restore from the new file. You can also probably export your CSV file into this format, which would work to set up a single charge in the extension:

90000 = 8%
90001 = 8%
90002 = 8.5%
90003 = 9%
etc.

2. Use a live rate calculator service like TaxCloud or TaxJar. That's more expensive since you have to pay to use their services, but it also ensures your tax rates are always correct. I have extensions for both of those services:

TaxCloud Integration
TaxJar Integration

Feel free to take a look at the screenshots and demo site, and if you're interested let me know at www.getclearthinking.com/contact if you have any further questions.

Post by Johnathan » Fri Oct 23, 2020 9:49 pm

No, there should be no speed decrease. I would probably recommend breaking them up into batches of 500-1000 (by creating an individual Charge for each zip code range), just so they fit in the textarea box, but there should be no speed problem with handling that many. PHP is extremely fast at looping through an array and matching things, so it will be basically instantaneous.

Feel free to take a look at the screenshots and demo site, and if you're interested let me know if you have any further questions at www.getclearthinking.com/contact

Image Image Image Image

Global Moderator