Post by tomkirk23 » Sun May 27, 2012 6:22 am

Hi -

I would like to style the Select boxes that OC uses in the Checkout (e.g., #payment-existing) process.

All I really want to do is re-color the Select Option bar and the radio button (which are both a lovely shade of blue that clashes with the rest of my site).

I am guessing that there must be a Javascript trick to make this happen. I have Googled, seen alot of discussion on the point, but no clear solutions. Has anyone been able to address this?

I am in OC 1.5.1.3.

Thanks.

Post by Avvici » Sun May 27, 2012 1:14 pm

I don't get what you are asking. Payment existing? Nonetheless, styling radio buttons/checkboxes is a bigger process than styling a select box. If you want to change the color of a select box just use CSS and place the style in the tpl like this:

Code: Select all

<select name="country_id" style="background-color:#060; color:#300; font-family:Verdana, Geneva, sans-serif; font-size:18px;height:50px;">
Concerning checkboxes you are correct. It's best to use a mixture of javascript and CSS to really get a style that will look consistent in all browsers.

Expert Member

Location - Asheville, NC

Post by tomkirk23 » Mon May 28, 2012 10:05 pm

I'll be more specific....

#payment-existing is a div in Step 2 of Checkout (where you select your billing address) which contains one of the Select boxes that I am referring to. There is a similar Select box in Step 3 of the Checkout.

These Select boxes (and radio buttons, etc.) in Step 2 and Step 3 of Checkout are driven by Javascript (jQuery?) that I am not familiar with.

I am interested in styling what appears in Step 2 and Step 3. Specifically, I am interested in styling the portions that appear in the blue background color -- from what I can tell, this is (a) the currently-selected option (i.e. address); and (b) the currently-selected radio button.

While you can style portions of the Select box using CSS, you cannot style the currently-selected option and radio button using CSS. For instance, the following CSS does nothing:
#payment-existing select option[selected="selected"] {background-color:green !important;}
#payment-existing select option[selected=selected] {background-color:green !important;}

Primary question: I am trying to determine if there if there is an approach through javascript perhaps to enable what I am looking for. If so, I would need the particular syntax.

Secondary questions: Do most/all OC sites simply leave the blue color in place? What are other programmers doing? Does OC have any plans to replace these selection boxes?

Thank you.