Post by Franz-Peter » Mon Nov 02, 2009 9:50 pm

I do not understand why the sku was integrated in the new version. We now have two sku: model and sku or what else than sku does model mean?
it would maybe make a little bit more sense to add EAN13 or barcode but duplicate SKU obviously does not make any sense.

Post by Xsecrets » Mon Nov 02, 2009 11:20 pm

I don't see the problem here if you want to use the sku for EAN13 or barcode go ahead. Many people have internal model numbers and external sku #'s, but when it comes down to it sku is just a name you can use that field for whatever you want.

OpenCart commercial mods and development http://spotonsolutions.net
Layered Navigation
Shipment Tracking
Vehicle Year/Make/Model Filter

Guru Member

Location - FL US

Post by Qphoria » Mon Nov 02, 2009 11:30 pm

I think it depends on what you sell. I too think that its the same, but many others seem to think they need 2

Like:
Name: Sony Bravia LCD TV 60"
Model: SB-LCD-60
Sku: 65600-35636

In this case the model is the design model of the product and the sku is the UPC.

I think thats how people are using it

Administrator

Post by MWYS » Tue Nov 03, 2009 12:04 am

A SKU is basically a product code that is relevent to the store.

For example, You have a shop called OpenCart Store, They sell the Nokia N97, Now of course the Model Number is N97, but if they have some form of stock tracking / database system in their store that help them identify their products and quantities, they will not search for 'N97' as that is irrelevent to their store, What if they have a vodaphone N97, and a o2 N97?

Instead they assign each product with a code, unique to their store. This is not the bar code (Althought it could be if desired), but a code that is generated on a per-product basis, so you could have a stock code of OCS00054, searching that in their own system can help them identify the product.

As another example, Argos in the UK have SKU's of numerical value such as 123 - 4567, this code when entered into their system will tell them the location of the product in the warehouse, and stock levels and such.

Post by kunikit » Fri Sep 16, 2011 7:58 pm

It is an old topic however SKU concept has to be clarified :

SKU is a physical variant of a product. SKU becomes clear when product is only a conceptual thing.

Think about fashion business. A t-shirt is a product. However, a t-shirt without a color and size cannot exists. We keep t-shirt in units with sizes and colors (and maybe other variations). Similar with shoes. Similar with iPad. iPad is a product but we cannot sell / buy iPad, we should specify all required parameters for it. So an iPad with 64 GB / Aluminium white case / 3G is a SKU.

Barcodes (EAN13 etc) must be assigned to SKUs.

Every modern shopping / ecommerce system should operate on SKU level. Stock management, pricing should work on SKU basis.