Post by amaco » Wed Jul 21, 2021 1:25 am

I have a multilanguage site, and I wonder if there is any reason for why the SEO URL keyword must be different for every language, for the same item? For example iphone is called iphone in pretty much all the languages. The same with manufacturers. Apple is called Apple in all the languages. So why I have to come up with different keywords for an iphone for every language? Why can't it be "iphone" for all the languages?

I actually inserted manually in the database the same keyword (iphone) for the same product in 3 different languages, and it works without problem in the frontend of the site. So why do developers impose that limitation in backend?

Post by straightlight » Thu Jul 22, 2021 6:41 pm

amaco wrote:
Wed Jul 21, 2021 1:25 am
I have a multilanguage site, and I wonder if there is any reason for why the SEO URL keyword must be different for every language, for the same item? For example iphone is called iphone in pretty much all the languages. The same with manufacturers. Apple is called Apple in all the languages. So why I have to come up with different keywords for an iphone for every language? Why can't it be "iphone" for all the languages?

I actually inserted manually in the database the same keyword (iphone) for the same product in 3 different languages, and it works without problem in the frontend of the site. So why do developers impose that limitation in backend?
OC version. There are plenty and free extensions on the Marketplace that could help you customize the SEO keywords. I would suggest to take a look.

Dedication and passion goes to those who are able to push and merge a project.

Regards,
Straightlight
Programmer / Opencart Tester

Legendary Member

Location - Canada, ON

Post by amaco » Thu Jul 22, 2021 7:07 pm

straightlight wrote:
Thu Jul 22, 2021 6:41 pm
OC version. There are plenty and free extensions on the Marketplace that could help you customize the SEO keywords. I would suggest to take a look.
OC 3.0.3.7.

I know there are many SEO extensions, but that's not my point. I wonder why the developers impose a restriction on the keyword to be different for the same product in different languages. Why shouldn't I be able to use for example "iphone" keyword for an iPhone in all the languages? It doesn't seem to be a problem when I insert the keyword manually in the database. Why shouldn't I be able to use the "iphone" keyword for all languages, in backend when I add or edit a product? Is there a reason why the keywords have to be different for the same product? That's my question.

I mean is quite ugly if I have to come up with different SEO keywords for an iPhone in different languages, when an iPhone is called iPhone in pretty much all the languages. It doesn't make any sense to me.

Post by straightlight » Thu Jul 22, 2021 7:56 pm

amaco wrote:
Thu Jul 22, 2021 7:07 pm
straightlight wrote:
Thu Jul 22, 2021 6:41 pm
OC 3.0.3.7.

I know there are many SEO extensions, but that's not my point. I wonder why the developers impose a restriction on the keyword to be different for the same product in different languages. Why shouldn't I be able to use for example "iphone" keyword for an iPhone in all the languages? It doesn't seem to be a problem when I insert the keyword manually in the database. Why shouldn't I be able to use the "iphone" keyword for all languages, in backend when I add or edit a product? Is there a reason why the keywords have to be different for the same product? That's my question.

I mean is quite ugly if I have to come up with different SEO keywords for an iPhone in different languages, when an iPhone is called iPhone in pretty much all the languages. It doesn't make any sense to me.
Simple. Because the database does not impose any restrictions for Marketing purposes nor any restrictions for keywords I might add as opposed to what search engines can track on the browsers.

Dedication and passion goes to those who are able to push and merge a project.

Regards,
Straightlight
Programmer / Opencart Tester

Legendary Member

Location - Canada, ON

Post by amaco » Thu Jul 22, 2021 9:40 pm

amaco wrote:
Thu Jul 22, 2021 7:07 pm
It doesn't seem to be a problem when I insert the keyword manually in the database.
straightlight I know that you can insert anything in the database without any restrictions. I am not stupid. That was not my point. I meant that it is not a problem for OC if I do that. It works without problems, so it's strange that developers impose those restrictions.

My question was, "Is there a reason why the keywords have to be different for the same product?" in different languages. I understand that you can't have 2 products with the same keyword. It will be confusing. But why can't you have the same keyword for the same product in different languages?

Why is it bad for marketing purpose and/or search engines?

Post by ADD Creative » Fri Jul 23, 2021 7:47 am

It used to be the case that your could only have one SEO URL per product. The was changed in version 3. You can see some discussion here. https://github.com/opencart/opencart/issues/4915

Assuming the domain is different for each language in some way, I can only thing it's an oversight that you can use the same URL for all languages. I just don't think it was thought about that much (no hreflang). I believe it's being changed in latest development versions.

www.add-creative.co.uk

Expert Member

Location - United Kingdom

Post by amaco » Fri Jul 23, 2021 6:38 pm

I just found out that's possible to insert the same keyword for the same product in different languages in OC backend, if you add it in Design >> SEO URL. Why is it possible in Design >> SEO URL, but not in Catalog >> Product? OC version 3.0.3.7.