Post by dm5400 » Sat Apr 11, 2020 2:59 am

Thanks for the offer. I've contacted my web host support so waiting on a response.

Post by dm5400 » Tue Apr 14, 2020 11:05 pm

Update to my mail problem in OpenCart 3.0.3.2. I have yet to hear back from my web host support and I cannot send OpenCart a support ticket because I do not have an Order ID. This is a fresh install.

My mail settings:

Mail Engine: Mail
Mail Parameters: -fdiana.modestchristian.com
SMTP Hostname: mail.modestchristian.com
SMTP Username:
SMTP Password: ***********
SMTP Port: 587
SMTP Timeout: 20

The events section has three pages of events, all are enabled.

I've made the following progress in the past couple of days :

1. My contact form is now sending emails from the contact form but I am not receiving them.
2. Today I sent two test marketing emails to two different emails and I received those.
3. I have no error messages with the mail engine set to mail but do if set it to SMTP.
4. I cannot re-enable Recaptcha for some reason (I disabled it the other day when troubleshooting) but my only concern at this time is not receiving emails via the contact form.

It seems to me that something in the coding needs changing so I can receive emails sent from the contact form since I am receiving them when sent in a marketing email and in a regular email. I have looked over numerous threads about this and am at a loss at what to do to fix it. I am not familiar with coding but can find it in CPanel if told where to look and what to change.

This is the only thing stopping me from having my site go live. If someone can help, I'd appreciate it. Unfortunately, I am unable to pay for someone to do it for me.

Post by straightlight » Tue Apr 14, 2020 11:16 pm

try with SMTP protocol instead of Mail protocol: viewtopic.php?f=202&t=216498&p=779948#p779948 .

The most generated errors being found on Opencart forum originates from contributed programming. The increased post counters are caused by redundancies of the same solutions that were already provided prior.

Regards,
Straightlight
Programmer / Opencart Tester

Legendary Member

Location - Canada, ON

Post by dm5400 » Wed Apr 15, 2020 3:56 am

Thanks for the reply. I'll try that again and see what happens. I heard back and my web host is going to take a look even though it's not their program. They did tell me everything is set up correctly on their end. Hopefully, this will be fixed soon.

Post by dm5400 » Wed Apr 15, 2020 4:21 am

Thank you! I change mail to SMTP and left all the other fields the same. I am now receiving emails from the contact form! It is not sending it as fast as with "Mail", but it works. I'm not sure why it did not work when I had it set up as my web host told me (no -f before my email). I've let them know it's working with these settings.

Post by letxobnav » Wed Apr 15, 2020 10:11 am

When using php mail, the mail is handled by via your host settings, all OC does is adjust the send_from variable in the php settings and sets the possible (-f) parameter header. If mail sending fails there is no error message in OC. So only use the mail engine if you are absolutely sure the mail settings by your hosting work, it is indeed faster than smtp but that is because it is simple fire, forget & hope it works mailing.

With smtp OC handles the mail settings except the parameter (-f) as that has no function there and will generate error messages (albeit kind of crappy).
Yes, it is slower but that is the price for being better.

Crystal Light Centrum Taiwan
Extensions: MailQueue | SUKHR | VBoces

“Data security is paramount at [...], and we are committed to protecting the privacy of anyone who is associated with our [...]. We’ve made a lot of improvements and will continue to make them.”
When you know your life savings are gone.

Expert Member

Location - Taiwan

Post by straightlight » Wed Apr 15, 2020 7:12 pm

See this post about Mail versus SMTP: viewtopic.php?f=202&t=217052&p=783083&#p783083 .

If you're not sure whether Mail or SMTP should be used, please contact your host or see your cPanel > Email Accounts > << your_email >> > Manage > Lower left / right tables on the page to see what either one does. If you don't use cPanel, contacting your host would be the best option so that you or your customers do not have to report future events about lost emails once being sent.

The most generated errors being found on Opencart forum originates from contributed programming. The increased post counters are caused by redundancies of the same solutions that were already provided prior.

Regards,
Straightlight

Legendary Member

Location - Canada, ON

Post by nuchie11 » Thu Apr 16, 2020 3:20 am

I have tried all these suggestions and still not receiving emails from my contact form. SMTP, Mail, ports 587 993 995, even added the -f Can you help

Post by straightlight » Thu Apr 16, 2020 3:22 am

I have tried all these suggestions and still not receiving emails from my contact form. SMTP, Mail, ports 587 993 995, even added the -f Can you help
Since you've tried all the suggestions, then from what's been indicated on the above regarding cPanel > Email Accounts > Manage, you should already be able to see that port 465 is the recommended port by using SMTP via SSL.

Regards,
Straightlight

Legendary Member

Location - Canada, ON

Post by nuchie11 » Thu Apr 16, 2020 3:32 am

This is what I have

Mail Parameters: *****@russoandsontactical.com
SMTP Hostname: smtp.office365.com
SMTP Username: ******@russoandsontactical.com
SMTP Password:*****@12
SMTP Port: 465

Post by straightlight » Thu Apr 16, 2020 3:33 am

nuchie11 wrote:
Thu Apr 16, 2020 3:32 am
This is what I have

Mail Parameters: *****@russoandsontactical.com
SMTP Username: ******@russoandsontactical.com
SMTP Password:*****@12
SMTP Port: 465
What does your cPanel > Email Accounts > Manage page provides at the bottom? Please provide a screenshot.

Regards,
Straightlight

Legendary Member

Location - Canada, ON

Post by nuchie11 » Thu Apr 16, 2020 3:49 am

Here's the screen shot

Attachments

2020-04-15 (4).png

2020-04-15 (4).png (140.4 KiB) Viewed 582 times

Post by straightlight » Thu Apr 16, 2020 3:53 am

It is NOT what it's saying on the screenshot:
Should be:

Code: Select all

ssl://rossoandsontactical.com
As for the mail parameter, it should be set empty. Not needed. For mail parameters, it should be empty.

Regards,
Straightlight

Legendary Member

Location - Canada, ON

Post by nuchie11 » Thu Apr 16, 2020 4:26 am

I'm an idiot, they all have been going to my JUNK file. Thanks for your help

Post by nuchie11 » Thu Apr 16, 2020 4:41 am

How can I add it to my safe senders list?

Post by alom310 » Thu Sep 17, 2020 12:38 am

I am having similar problems. I did what the OP suggested and created an email that was store@mydomain.com, since I'm using google domains, I created an email alias (store@mydomain.com) to forward to my gmail (store@gmail.com). I did this because I am not actually paying for G suite. This worked, I am getting contact emails and order confirmations on the admin side, but the customer is not getting any order confirmation emails. In the store mail settings, I tried putting "-f store@mydomain.com", this does not work. If I removed the -f and just have "store@mydomain.com" in the mail parameters, now it seems that I'm getting the order confirmation email AND the customer's order confirmation email(is this just a copy of the customer email?).

I've tried setting up smtp with gmail, but I get a security alert saying that a less secure app is trying to gain access to my account.

Post by ADD Creative » Thu Sep 17, 2020 1:31 am

Entering an email address in Mail Parameters box without the -f in front will likely just use that address as one the recipients addresses.

You need generally the -f to set the return address, but you could try without the space between that and the email address.

www.add-creative.co.uk

Location - United Kingdom

Post by alom310 » Thu Sep 17, 2020 1:36 am

ADD Creative wrote:
Thu Sep 17, 2020 1:31 am
Entering an email address in Mail Parameters box without the -f in front will likely just use that address as one the recipients addresses.

You need generally the -f to set the return address, but you could try without the space between that and the email address.
ive tried -fstore@mydomain.com, -f store@mydomain.com, -Fstore@mydomain.com, and -F store@mydomain.com :crazy:

Post by ADD Creative » Thu Sep 17, 2020 2:16 am

It seems like you can't send any email to remote domains via PHP mail. When you send using a forwarder the mail will be delivered locally then forwarded.

Have you asked your host about this? Have you tried thing your hosting SMTP server?

www.add-creative.co.uk

Location - United Kingdom

Post by alom310 » Thu Sep 17, 2020 2:34 am

ADD Creative wrote:
Thu Sep 17, 2020 2:16 am
It seems like you can't send any email to remote domains via PHP mail. When you send using a forwarder the mail will be delivered locally then forwarded.

Have you asked your host about this? Have you tried thing your hosting SMTP server?
Yes I asked my host, but i'll try again. I'm using Cloudways, which does an easy 1-click opencart setup. I found this article https://support.cloudways.com/configure-gmail-smtp/ I'll give it a try. Thanks!