Post by buburuzza » Mon Sep 21, 2020 7:38 pm

Hello,
my question is: If I export the database from an opencart website to another, would that import theme too or just the products and categories?
Thanks.

Post by by mona » Mon Sep 21, 2020 8:34 pm

If you export the database to another opencart website of the exact same version it will export the data from the database.
This will include data but a variety of other things will not be included.
It will have the data of the theme to use but not the theme itself.
It will have the modules data but not the files.
It will also have the links to the images, but not the images themselves
It will not have the correct config files to connect to that database.

In short, it is possible to do this, but requires a number of manual operations to make it work.

DISCLAIMER:
You should not modify core files .. if you would like to donate a cup of coffee I will write it in a modification for you.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zXIxDoCRc84

Expert Member

Post by thekrotek » Mon Sep 21, 2020 8:39 pm

buburuzza wrote:
Mon Sep 21, 2020 7:38 pm
my question is: If I export the database from an opencart website to another, would that import theme too or just the products and categories?
No, it won't import the theme, because theme is mostly about files.

Professional OpenCart extensions, support and custom work.
Contact me via email or Skype by support@thekrotek.com

Expert Member

Post by buburuzza » Mon Sep 21, 2020 8:46 pm

I tried that and it imported some of the theme files as well.
So it's no good for what I need.
I need to export products, reinstall Opencart and theme to a new server and then import the products to that server.
So I think I should use a module

Post by by mona » Mon Sep 21, 2020 9:45 pm

I believe thekrotek has an import/export module he can link you to it.

But there is absolutely no way any of your files can have been imported via the database.
There may be links to things (although they will be broken if the config file is not changed)
There also may be OCMOD changes that are also in the database (as I mentioned above) BUT NO FILES - FILES THEMSELVES ARE FILES - they are not database data.

So if the issue is that it has imported some theme data - and you are thinking this is files - I suspect you need to clear out your modifications (and possibly delete them)

DISCLAIMER:
You should not modify core files .. if you would like to donate a cup of coffee I will write it in a modification for you.

Expert Member

Post by buburuzza » Tue Sep 22, 2020 1:47 am

OK. So two a bit offtopic questions:

1. What is the safest way to make a backup of a shop that has say about 1000 products. in order to migrate it to aq new server. Database export I understand is not enough (for instance if I was to export the database at a good configuration, then install a Opencart to the new server, make all the settings and install all of the modules, and then import the database from the .sql file. Would that do it?) Or should I use a product export module in order to export all the products, and then install opencart and all that it takes and then import the products through that module?

2. Is there a way to see in the admin backend, how many products lie in each categories? Woocommerce shows that.

Thank you in advance.

Post by by mona » Tue Sep 22, 2020 2:47 am

1. Back up of files and databases is usually done by your service provider sometimes daily, sometimes weekly (and there are ways to do it hourly if they allow) - ask them first - some don’t do it at all and some have to be asked - this should be something you should know - how to backup and restore your website. Usually via your CPanel. A note of warning, do not use the in-built Opencart back-up and restore

if you have ftp you can do it yourself
if you have database access you can do it yourself

both can be searched using google
As far as how to set that up to create a new site, I already answered that in my first answer, so I am not going to repeat myself.

2. Not that I can think of off hand as a place specifically, maybe someone will tell me I am wrong.
I know there are some modules around that have added a count, filters, category in product list. So maybe a module will exist. You can search in the marketplace - "admin products by category” - or - "filter product by category” - maybe something for free exists.

yep loads:
https://www.opencart.com/index.php?rout ... n_id=36269
https://www.opencart.com/index.php?rout ... n_id=34415
https://www.opencart.com/index.php?rout ... n_id=36817
https://www.opencart.com/index.php?rout ... n_id=34623

You can see how many are enabled via the front end

DISCLAIMER:

Expert Member

Post by paulfeakins » Tue Sep 22, 2020 6:03 pm

buburuzza wrote:
Tue Sep 22, 2020 1:47 am
OK. So two a bit offtopic questions:

1. What is the safest way to make a backup of a shop that has say about 1000 products. in order to migrate it to aq new server. Database export I understand is not enough (for instance if I was to export the database at a good configuration, then install a Opencart to the new server, make all the settings and install all of the modules, and then import the database from the .sql file. Would that do it?) Or should I use a product export module in order to export all the products, and then install opencart and all that it takes and then import the products through that module?

2. Is there a way to see in the admin backend, how many products lie in each categories? Woocommerce shows that.

Thank you in advance.
From your questions I can tell that you don't know enough to manage this successfully so you should probably pay a developer such as ourselves or post a job in the Commercial Support Forum.

UK OpenCart Hosting | OpenCart Audits | OpenCart Support - please email info@antropy.co.uk

Guru Member

Location - London Gatwick, United Kingdom

Post by Naheed » Wed Sep 23, 2020 11:02 pm

It depends on the VqMods and Extensions you added in the current Shop.
Your theme may produce some errors, and it even refuses to function any longer.
So, you need to have a full backup if something has to be changed back to defaul

Post by buburuzza » Thu Sep 24, 2020 11:59 pm

OK, so I made it clear a little.
Let me just say this:
If I, say, :
-copy all files and folders from the publichtml (or www) on my webserver through FTP on my PC
- export database from phpmyadmin

Then, on a new server, copy all the opencart files that I took through FTP
edit the config files with the new database details
import SQL database

Would I be good to go?
Thing is now, I got my hands on a webserver that I intend to use for testing only, before I actually migrate the real store. And I will try to do that just to see that it works.
I am interested in migrating all the products, categories as well as all the settings and modules... Do you think doing it this way will also transfer my settings and installed modules? Or would I have to install the modules once again and make all the settings again?

Thank you greatly for your support.