Post by wychegnome » Wed Sep 30, 2020 5:21 pm

I am getting a spate of customer registrations from what are either intending spammers or time wasters. All seem to be from a very limited range of IP addresses.
Earlier versions of Open Cart had a facility to ban by IP address but I cannot find the facility on version 3.0.3.2
Could someone kindly point in the right direction to where this facility can be accessed or, alternatively, to an add-in that does provide the facility.
Thanks, John

Post by paulfeakins » Wed Sep 30, 2020 5:42 pm

wychegnome wrote:
Wed Sep 30, 2020 5:21 pm
Could someone kindly point in the right direction to where this facility can be accessed or, alternatively, to an add-in that does provide the facility.
Thanks, John
It would be your web host who can do this.

UK OpenCart Hosting | OpenCart Audits | OpenCart Support - please email info@antropy.co.uk

Guru Member

Location - London Gatwick, United Kingdom

Post by letxobnav » Wed Sep 30, 2020 5:43 pm

If you start banning ip addresses you will be doing that the rest of your life.

Crystal Light Centrum Taiwan
Extensions: MailQueue | SUKHR | VBoces

“Data security is paramount at [...], and we are committed to protecting the privacy of anyone who is associated with our [...]. We’ve made a lot of improvements and will continue to make them.”
When you know your life savings are gone.

Expert Member

Location - Taiwan

Post by IP_CAM » Wed Sep 30, 2020 6:51 pm

If you start banning ip addresses you will be doing that the rest of your life.
Well, that's correct, but sometimes, it's the only way, to keep the Boozo-Brains out. :laugh: :crazy:
I so far have ~ 2'580 IP Ranges and Single Addresses locked out by .htaccess,

Code: Select all

Deny from 213.217.0.224 (single IP)
 Deny from 223.215.10.* (IP Block) 
still, it's a daily Job, to check, who tried to access my Sites by use of 'screwy' Links. :D

And the Rest, I forward to Las Vegas: (a few samples)

Code: Select all

RewriteCond %{QUERY_STRING} (javascript:).*(\;) [NC,OR]
RewriteCond %{QUERY_STRING} (<|%3C).*script.*(>|%3) [NC,OR]
RewriteCond %{QUERY_STRING} (\;|\'|\"|%22).*(union|UNION|select|SELECT|insert|INSERT|drop|DROP|update|UPDATE|md5|MD5|benchmark) [NC,OR]
RewriteCond %{QUERY_STRING} (base64_encode|localhost|mosconfig) [NC,OR]
RewriteCond %{QUERY_STRING} (boot\.ini|echo.*kae|etc/passwd|passwd|eval|$_POST) [NC,OR]
RewriteCond %{QUERY_STRING} (GLOBALS|REQUEST)(=|\[|%) [NC]
RewriteCond %{HTTP_REFERER} ^http://.*aspiegel\.com/ [NC,OR]
RewriteCond %{HTTP_REFERER} ^http://.*pizza-tycoon\.com/ [NC,OR]
RewriteCond %{HTTP_REFERER} ^http://.*best-seo-offer\.com/ [NC,OR]
RewriteCond %{HTTP_REFERER} ^http://.*buy-cheap-online\.info/ [NC,OR]
RewriteCond %{HTTP_USER_AGENT} ^.*(ahrefs|semrushbot|semrush|mj12bot|dotbot|ccbot|petalbot).*$ [NC]
RewriteRule ^(.*)$ https:/www.lasvegas.com/$1 [R=301,L]
Still, despite of my actual 2649-liner ROOT .htaccess file, in
addition to the 3721-liner Shop .htaccess files, it seems to have
no negative impact on overall Site Load Performance, just to mention this too. ;)
Ernie

My Github OC Site: https://github.com/IP-CAM
5'200 + FREE OC Extensions, on the World's largest private Github OC Repository Archive Site.

Legendary Member

Location - Switzerland

Post by wrick0 » Wed Sep 30, 2020 8:52 pm

Make sure you have enabled the recaptcha for the registration form, make sure you have installed modsecurity and ip banning on your server it will handle those sql injection/hack attempts automaticly...

Location - 127.0.0.1 @ The Netherlands

Post by wychegnome » Thu Oct 01, 2020 3:53 pm

Thank you for the various replies, especially the capcha one. I had forgotten (old age!) that the system has a capcha option. Enabled it last night on the registration page. So far, no rogue registrations.
John

Post by paulfeakins » Thu Oct 01, 2020 6:30 pm

wychegnome wrote:
Thu Oct 01, 2020 3:53 pm
Thank you for the various replies, especially the capcha one. I had forgotten (old age!) that the system has a capcha option. Enabled it last night on the registration page. So far, no rogue registrations.
John
Give this a go: https://www.opencart.com/index.php?rout ... n_id=36312

UK OpenCart Hosting | OpenCart Audits | OpenCart Support - please email info@antropy.co.uk

Guru Member

Location - London Gatwick, United Kingdom

Post by JNeuhoff » Thu Oct 01, 2020 10:47 pm

wychegnome wrote:
Thu Oct 01, 2020 3:53 pm
John
The standard OpenCart captcha won't be much of a protection anymore as most spambots will be able to overcome it.

You may want to take a look at our SpamBot Buster which uses an invisible honeypot trap and checks for required touch/keyboard/mouse events in order to distinguish between genuine human visitors and automated spambots when trying to submit a registration, or using the contact page.

Export/Import Tool * SpamBot Buster * Unused Images Manager * Instant Option Price Calculator * Number Option * Google Tag Manager * Survey Plus * OpenTwig

Guru Member

Post by wychegnome » Fri Oct 02, 2020 4:44 pm

Thank you for the suggestion of the SpamBot system, it could be the answer. Before I take the plunge is the price quoted a one off purchase or for a licence for a specific period such as the 12 months? I ask because an alternative ban system appears to be a licence period rather than an outright purchase.
Thanks, John

Post by JNeuhoff » Fri Oct 02, 2020 4:51 pm

wychegnome wrote:
Fri Oct 02, 2020 4:44 pm
Thank you for the suggestion of the SpamBot system, it could be the answer. Before I take the plunge is the price quoted a one off purchase or for a licence for a specific period such as the 12 months? I ask because an alternative ban system appears to be a licence period rather than an outright purchase.
Thanks, John
We provide updates beyond the 12 months period, the latter is imposed by OpenCart, not us. See also this.

Export/Import Tool * SpamBot Buster * Unused Images Manager * Instant Option Price Calculator * Number Option * Google Tag Manager * Survey Plus * OpenTwig

Guru Member

Post by wychegnome » Fri Oct 02, 2020 6:04 pm

Thank you for assurance about on-going support, much appreciated.
Sorry to be so pedantic about the pricing but the web site concerned is funded by a charity. It is important to know before purchase whether this is a 'one off' outright purchase or whether it it will require additional payments at intervals later.
Thanks, John

Post by JNeuhoff » Fri Oct 02, 2020 6:59 pm

There are no additional later payments, it's a one-time license fee, not a subscription.

Guru Member

Post by wychegnome » Sun Oct 11, 2020 7:11 pm

Thank you for the various advices.
Implementing the basic (built in) capcha and then reinforcing it with the spambot system has stopped the rot.
Thank you, John