Post by JuJue » Thu Mar 11, 2021 11:19 pm

OK, fair enough, the SEO links work in the way they omit that usual ugly string .
However.
I don't need "breadcrumbs" URLs. I need SEO URLS and that is simplified below"

Instead of getting a URL like"
www.mydomain/category/subcategory/product
a true SEO URL would be like:
www.mydomain/product

It's OK to have products listed in categories and sub-categories and sub-sub-categories, ...in ADMIN. Whole purpose for that is to categories products for easier locating.

The "Visitor" to the shop doesn't need to be bothered with Admin Tasks. Besides. the breadcrumbs are still shown on categories and product pages. No need for duplicating it in the URL and making it "Almost Impossible" to be indexed my search engines. They, too, whan to get straight to the point!

Makes sense?

If anyone has a solution to this, please contact me and, ...NO, I won't go through trial and error by trying extensions or modules from the OC market place. I installed 5 of them and each of them broke the entire OC code.=, even crashed my server. This poor hacking style I am not interested in. I have enough other problems so last thing I want is having to fix the problem of poor code hackers who promote themselves as "Professional Programmers".

Thank you for your understanding.

EDIT:
To elaborate;
A simple solution to this would be, providing an option to either "Show" or HIDE" (sub)categories in the product URL.
Unfortunately I am not a programmer but perhaps this will give some programmer (not a poor code hacker) an idea and - with a bit of luck, OC will soon have an extension for this.
BTW, I am on OC version 3.0.2.0

Location - Australia

Post by Cue4cheap » Fri Mar 12, 2021 12:03 pm

Have you searched opencart market place?

Mike

cue4cheap not cheap quality

Expert Member

Post by JNeuhoff » Fri Mar 12, 2021 7:07 pm

Doesn't make sense! OpenCart already uses link canonicals which uses the product URL without the category portions in it.
Last edited by JNeuhoff on Fri Mar 12, 2021 8:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Export/Import Tool * SpamBot Buster * Unused Images Manager * Instant Option Price Calculator * Number Option * Google Tag Manager * Survey Plus * OpenTwig

Guru Member

Post by paulfeakins » Fri Mar 12, 2021 7:53 pm

There are loads of extensions for this, search for "canonical".

UK OpenCart Hosting | OpenCart Audits | OpenCart Support - please email info@antropy.co.uk

Guru Member

Location - London Gatwick, United Kingdom

Post by JuJue » Sun Mar 14, 2021 8:41 am

JNeuhoff wrote:
Fri Mar 12, 2021 7:07 pm
Doesn't make sense! OpenCart already uses link canonicals which uses the product URL without the category portions in it.
Correct!
But then again, I am not an OC programmer I don't understand how things are supposed to work. I just use common sense and that's why I tend to agree with you. This doesn't make sense to me neither!

Hence, WHY search on the market place for an extension for something that 'Should ' work out of the box. This sounds to me more like to look for additional trouble. Why hack some hack that is already hacked? I don't follow this sequence neither.

With that being said, I'd have hoped someone who knows the OC original code could guide me through in fixing the original before screwing with it and the entire rest of the OC code by adding "Another" extension!

Location - Australia

Post by by mona » Sun Mar 14, 2021 8:45 am

I recommend this and it does not mess up your site and the developer is easy to work with
https://www.opencart.com/index.php?rout ... on_id=7540

DISCLAIMER:
You should not modify core files .. if you would like to donate a cup of coffee I will write it in a modification for you.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zXIxDoCRc84

Expert Member

Post by JuJue » Sun Mar 14, 2021 12:38 pm

by mona wrote:
Sun Mar 14, 2021 8:45 am
I recommend this and it does not mess up your site and the developer is easy to work with
Thank you for that hint. I checked them already but their own Demo didn't convince me. Getting product URL strings of the website name and then product IDs, (.../aromta-xuma-tupou-en-gb11, ...en-gb12, ...en-gb13, ...en-gb14, ...), this does not look like a great SEO to me. Certainly not worth the money.

Location - Australia

Post by by mona » Sun Mar 14, 2021 11:06 pm

JuJue wrote:
Sun Mar 14, 2021 12:38 pm
by mona wrote:
Sun Mar 14, 2021 8:45 am
Thank you for that hint. I checked them already but their own Demo didn't convince me. Getting product URL strings of the website name and then product IDs, (.../aromta-xuma-tupou-en-gb11, ...en-gb12, ...en-gb13, ...en-gb14, ...), this does not look like a great SEO to me. Certainly not worth the money.
I do not disagree that there is an art to choosing the right extension - as is the right developer
You can auto-generate it pretty much however you want and edit it manually for perfection.

The demo shows how easily you can auto-generate the same keywords.

My recommendation is because auto-generating SEO keywords in my opinion is not the way it should be done (google bot is smarter than you). Yet for speed it is useful and gives you a good starting point. From there you can see what keywords you have and change them manually for great SEO. You need to look at the demo more carefully - specifically the advanced SEO editor part

Your site your choice - I believe this does exactly what you want, is one of the best SEO tools on the marketplace and is worth every cent.

DISCLAIMER:
You should not modify core files .. if you would like to donate a cup of coffee I will write it in a modification for you.

Expert Member

Post by Cue4cheap » Mon Mar 15, 2021 1:19 am

JuJue wrote:
Sun Mar 14, 2021 8:37 am
Cue4cheap wrote:
Fri Mar 12, 2021 12:03 pm
Have you searched opencart market place?

Mike
And why would I post and ask for assistance in this forum if I'd found something on the market?
BTW, viewtopic.php?f=202&t=222912. Three other extensions I bought didn't work neither. Hence, while the OC market place has hundreds of duplicated extensions on one topic, one never knows how it screws up the rest of your OC site/code. There are simply far too many hobby code hackers out there all pretending to be programmers. Difficult to know who is who.
Because we are here to HELP you not do for you.
1/2 of what you wrote was a complaint and then you are not willing to try. I would bet not one of us who are trying to help has read only one of your posts. Most read as bitter and more like "I'm tired of opencart, Fix it for me".
Yes you got burned for a little bit of $. As you already know they are a scammer and spammer. It sucks for all of us. I can point out many people's posts including mine where we noticed this: viewtopic.php?f=10&t=222518

Opencart is free. Pretty good free cart. Missing some niceties, yes, but that is what you get for free.
Be a little more gracious and you'll continue to get people trying to help or hire some of the well known/respected developers here and pay to get it done the way you want.

Mike

cue4cheap not cheap quality

Expert Member

Post by by mona » Tue Mar 16, 2021 1:06 am

To clarify and repeat JNeuhoff

Default Opencart works :-
Every product page has a canonical url tag which has no path info in it, just bare domain/product_keyword.
That url is the only url search engines will index for the product page as that is exactly what canonical urls are created for.
( that is also the reason why the default sitemap is bloated with unnecessary product page urls containing path information making the sitemap file twice as big, those urls will also be ignored by search engines )

What is your issue with that ?

If you want to improve your SEO you will need an extension - there are many available - : https://www.opencart.com/index.php?rout ... on_id=7540 does not add (although it can) what you describe as ‘breadcrumbs’ - NOR DOES OPENCART DEFAULT

If you search yourself you will find a lot - but if you choose to pay $3 for something that should be $30, do not be surprised if it destroys your site or the developer of the STOLEN software is upset with you - yes he should be upset with the THIEF - but if you buy a lamborghini for $3,000 - you have to understand that the market to steal cars exists because people are willing to buy stolen cars - can you understand why people who have their work stolen (which includes me) might be upset about that ?

DISCLAIMER:

Expert Member

Post by JuJue » Thu Mar 18, 2021 12:34 pm

by mona wrote:
Tue Mar 16, 2021 1:06 am
To clarify and repeat JNeuhoff

What is your issue with that ?
My issue - I described explicitly at the entry of my very first post.
No offence but perhaps you may go back to it and read, again.
(pay attention to the category/subcategory... I listed in my explanatory sample URL string)

Location - Australia

Post by by mona » Thu Mar 18, 2021 8:09 pm

With respect, we do not need to pay attention - people here offer their time for free to assist you with free software for you to sell commercial products ..

If you want to improve on the free SEO option provided by Opencart there are many extensions available on the marketplace. Paul has provide you with the search term, I have provided you with a extension recommendation and not forgetting our friend google.

Yes I read your NO - I ignored it - I chose to take that as frustration. However, if you do not feel confident enough to review and select one yourself you post in the commercial section viewforum.php?f=88

You also have the option there to pay for your specific requirements.

DISCLAIMER:

Expert Member