Post by jrr » Thu Apr 08, 2021 1:42 am

I've just started looking into this error:
PHP Warning: mysqli::__construct(): (HY000/1203): User xxxx already has more than 'max_user_connections' active connections in /usr/www/.../catalog/system/library/db/mysqli.php on line 7
Have read up somewhat on the problem https://stackoverflow.com/questions/407 ... -connectio:
I can't change my max_user_connections to anything greater than 20 with my host - without paying for a different DB, and, as this is just a warning, I'm not sure if it really is a problem or just a PHP note to clean up some code somewhere.

Should I dig deeper or can I safely ignore this warning?

Thanks!
Last edited by jrr on Sat Apr 17, 2021 10:14 am, edited 1 time in total.

jrr

Post by johnp » Thu Apr 08, 2021 2:06 am

It's worth checking you're not getting flooded with traffic from bad sources. Most of the site I manage have bad traffic protection and a firewall running. I wouldn't personally run a site without protection or rate limiting ability.

Opencart 1.5.6.5/OC Bootstrap Pro/VQMOD lover, user and geek.
Affordable Service £££ - Opencart Installs, Fixing, Development and Upgrades
Plus Ecommerce, Marketing, Mailing List Management and More
FREE Guidance and Advice at https://www.ecommerce-help.co.uk

Location - Surrey, UK

Post by paulfeakins » Thu Apr 08, 2021 6:51 pm

jrr wrote:
Thu Apr 08, 2021 1:42 am
Move hosts.

UK OpenCart Hosting | OpenCart Audits | OpenCart Support - please email info@antropy.co.uk

Guru Member

Location - London Gatwick, United Kingdom

Post by EvolveWebHosting » Sat Apr 10, 2021 11:37 pm

paulfeakins wrote:
Thu Apr 08, 2021 6:51 pm
jrr wrote:
Move hosts.
This isn't always the issue. It's likely an outdated or poorly written script. A hosting provider can't just continue to increase values out of whack without the potential to just crash the server.

2 Week FREE Trial of our Shared Hosting plans (DIrectAdmin or cPanel) for new customers
2 Week FREE Trial of Astra Firewall and Malware Scanner
Visit our website for full details and to start your trial today - www.evolvewebhost.com

Location - Denver, Colorado, USA

Post by EvolveWebHosting » Sat Apr 10, 2021 11:39 pm

jrr wrote:
PHP Warning: mysqli::__construct(): (HY000/1203): User xxxx already has more than 'max_user_connections' active connections in /usr/www/.../catalog/system/library/db/mysqli.php on line 7
Have read up somewhat on the problem https://stackoverflow.com/questions/407 ... -connectio:
I can't change my max_user_connections to anything greater than 20 with my host - without paying for a different DB, and, as this is just a warning, I'm not sure if it really is a problem or just a PHP note to clean up some code somewhere.

Thanks!
Have your hosting provider check the MySQL processes and they're likely 'sleeping queries' that should be closed. In that case, you would want to contact the software developer and have them clean up the code so that these connections are closed. 20 connections should be more than enough in normal environments.

2 Week FREE Trial of our Shared Hosting plans (DIrectAdmin or cPanel) for new customers
Visit our website for full details and to start your trial today - www.evolvewebhost.com

Post by jrr » Mon Apr 12, 2021 9:14 am

EvolveWebHosting wrote:
Sat Apr 10, 2021 11:39 pm
jrr wrote:

Thanks!
Have your hosting provider check the MySQL processes and they're likely 'sleeping queries' that should be closed. ...
My host tech could not find any 'sleeping queries' and the issue hasn't repeated itself in the last day. So I'm going to try and find out when it happens again exactly what extension was active at the time. I've cleared the error messages (no others either) and will check daily.
Depends how good my logging is I guess!

John :-#)#

jrr

Post by EvolveWebHosting » Tue Apr 13, 2021 11:50 pm

jrr wrote:
Mon Apr 12, 2021 9:14 am
EvolveWebHosting wrote:
Sat Apr 10, 2021 11:39 pm
jrr wrote:

Thanks!
Have your hosting provider check the MySQL processes and they're likely 'sleeping queries' that should be closed. ...
My host tech could not find any 'sleeping queries' and the issue hasn't repeated itself in the last day. So I'm going to try and find out when it happens again exactly what extension was active at the time. I've cleared the error messages (no others either) and will check daily.
Depends how good my logging is I guess!

John :-#)#
Usually it will happen with a spike in traffic, it's going to happen again. It can be tough to track down.