Post by Loady » Wed Aug 04, 2021 5:45 pm

So i was looking at tightening up spam registrations on my store, currently working with captcha v3 for now and see how that fares, however, i went to customer list and looked at one of the fake customers and clicked the IP address and it had multiple accounts, some of which i know are genuine customers as i have received money and actually spoken to them, this IP address was my IP, i have not changed anything or set anything to do this. I am not sure if this is a related issue but my customers when logging cant see thier previous orders or transaction, neither does it show anything for more, its kust empty.

I do not know how to fix this so i need to find someone that can for a reasonable fee or if someone can guide me on how to resolve it, if i cant get it fixed i guess i am just going to rebuild my store, possibly with a different platform, i would rather not.

Guru Member

Location - London Gatwick, United Kingdom

Post by JNeuhoff » Wed Aug 04, 2021 7:47 pm

Check the server's access logs, to see what original IP-addresses the spambots were using for the fake account registrations.

Also, are you sure you haven't edited or logged into the fake accounts yourself from the admin backend? If you did, your IP-address would have become associated with these fake accounts, too.

The most important point is to prevent spambots from doing fake account registrations in the first place. This is what our SpamBot Buster does.

Export/Import Tool * SpamBot Buster * Unused Images Manager * Instant Option Price Calculator * Number Option * Google Tag Manager * Survey Plus * OpenTwig

Guru Member

Post by ADD Creative » Wed Aug 04, 2021 7:59 pm

Are you using a proxy, load balancer or something like Cloudflare? You may not be seeing your customer's IPs but of something upstream.

www.add-creative.co.uk

Expert Member

Location - United Kingdom

Post by Loady » Thu Aug 05, 2021 1:10 am

JNeuhoff wrote:
Wed Aug 04, 2021 7:47 pm
Check the server's access logs, to see what original IP-addresses the spambots were using for the fake account registrations.

Also, are you sure you haven't edited or logged into the fake accounts yourself from the admin backend? If you did, your IP-address would have become associated with these fake accounts, too.

The most important point is to prevent spambots from doing fake account registrations in the first place. This is what our SpamBot Buster does.
I normally just delete the fake accounts daily, well the obvious ones, there are accounts that look like real names and have never purchased. Since upgrading the captcha they seem to have stopped but the spam mail has increased 10 fold. Will the spam bot buster stop the existing spam mail or do I need to find the fake account for it?

Post by JNeuhoff » Thu Aug 05, 2021 1:20 am

The SpamBot Buster also prevents spam mails sent via the Contact Us page by spambots. See our extension page for details on what it does.

We don't use captchas, most of them are too easily overcome by modern spambots.

Export/Import Tool * SpamBot Buster * Unused Images Manager * Instant Option Price Calculator * Number Option * Google Tag Manager * Survey Plus * OpenTwig

Guru Member

Post by Loady » Thu Aug 05, 2021 3:13 pm

JNeuhoff wrote:
Thu Aug 05, 2021 1:20 am
The SpamBot Buster also prevents spam mails sent via the Contact Us page by spambots. See our extension page for details on what it does.

We don't use captchas, most of them are too easily overcome by modern spambots.
sold, i cant be arsed keep deleting them. So, should i remove the captchas once i have installed your extension, given its power i should be ok without them ? also it will make it more user friendly..captchas a pita.

Post by Loady » Thu Aug 05, 2021 3:18 pm

is something wrong with payments at your end, my card is good
https://gyazo.com/39933a0d15b8a8674c63ff6ccdd01854

Post by JNeuhoff » Thu Aug 05, 2021 3:56 pm

Loady wrote:
Thu Aug 05, 2021 3:18 pm
is something wrong with payments at your end, my card is good
https://gyazo.com/39933a0d15b8a8674c63ff6ccdd01854
See my PM!

So, should i remove the captchas once i have installed your extension, given its power i should be ok without them ?
I normally don't use captchas for sites using the SpamBot Buster, though captchas won't clash with our tool either.

Guru Member