Post by jrr » Thu Aug 05, 2021 4:18 am

<SOLVED - refreshed the caches on both machines!>

For an unknown (at present) reason today when my parts guy warmed up his OSX Macbook Pro running OSX 10.10.5 and using either Firefox or Safari to look at the site (OC 3.0.3.6), many text characters don't show. A second computer running the same OS shows the same results.
Oddly enough an even older computer running 10.3.1 rendered the web site just fine.

However my computer running 10.13.x, my iPhone and a Windows 10 machine show the correct web site, and no customers are complaining.

I ran some malware tests on the site, and those were negative.

website is https://www.flippers.com/catalog_oc

Images of issue:

ImageImageImage

The database encoding is utf8mb4_unicode_ci, so I don't think that is it.
PHP Version: 7.4.21 - I wonder if this has something to do with it? Previous version was 7.4.19 and no trouble...

Any ideas? Remember that the two computers affected work fine on my main website (flippers.com) and show no errors for other web sites,
I am at a loss...
Last edited by jrr on Thu Aug 05, 2021 6:06 am, edited 3 times in total.

jrr

Post by by mona » Thu Aug 05, 2021 5:22 am

Browser no longer supported.
You can use the developer settings to change the user agent or update the browser.

DISCLAIMER:
You should not modify core files .. if you would like to donate a cup of coffee I will write it in a modification for you.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zXIxDoCRc84

Expert Member

Post by jrr » Thu Aug 05, 2021 5:53 am

by mona wrote:
Thu Aug 05, 2021 5:22 am
Browser no longer supported.
You can use the developer settings to change the user agent or update the browser.
Yeah, my host said the same thing...the problem is the computers we are using were happy until this weekend with that browser - we only use them for working on the web site so almost no risk of malware.

Do you mind expanding on "change the user agent" please? That is a new one to me...or I know it under some other name...

And I feel like an idiot, refreshing the cache cleared up the problem on both computers! I normally do that on my machine and perhaps uncounciously assumed my staff did the same thing. Once I checked with them about clearing the cache the problems went away.

Must have been a common bad packet or something that annoyed both computers at around teh same time.

Thanks!

John :-#(#

jrr

Post by by mona » Thu Aug 05, 2021 6:25 am

If you are on a mac and in safari on the top you have some tools - one of which is Develop
In there you can select a user agent - select something else - the default is outdated.

As far as I am aware you can not change the default in a setting anywhere, and you have to do it for each new window, but it will stay as you browse. You can ask apple for assistance, there is a way but I dont know off-hand. Maybe search google.

DISCLAIMER:
You should not modify core files .. if you would like to donate a cup of coffee I will write it in a modification for you.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zXIxDoCRc84

Expert Member

Post by jrr » Fri Aug 06, 2021 6:49 am

by mona wrote:
Thu Aug 05, 2021 6:25 am
If you are on a mac and in safari on the top you have some tools - one of which is Develop
In there you can select a user agent - select something else - the default is outdated.

As far as I am aware you can not change the default in a setting anywhere, and you have to do it for each new window, but it will stay as you browse. You can ask apple for assistance, there is a way but I dont know off-hand. Maybe search google.
I found this 2013 web page that talks about updating User Agent for Safari, Firefox and Chrome...
https://osxdaily.com/2013/01/16/change- ... i-firefox/
In case anyone wants to look into it...
Thanks for the tip, Mona!
John :-#)#

jrr