Post by liprotech.in » Sun Sep 26, 2021 3:56 am

Hi,
I am using Journal theme from last 2 years. Due to lack of my favourite features and pagespeed score issue, I want to move to other theme like REVO or eMarket.
Can anyone guide me which will be better in terms of light weight theme and speed (better score in google pagespeed).

PROSENJIT DAS
nationalpc.in
Lowest Price at your doorstep

Post by straightlight » Sun Sep 26, 2021 7:46 pm

liprotech.in wrote:
Sun Sep 26, 2021 3:56 am
Hi,
I am using Journal theme from last 2 years. Due to lack of my favourite features and pagespeed score issue, I want to move to other theme like REVO or eMarket.
Can anyone guide me which will be better in terms of light weight theme and speed (better score in google pagespeed).
OC version. Journal is unsupported on the forum.

Dedication and passion goes to those who are able to push and merge a project.

Regards,
Straightlight
Programmer / Opencart Tester

Legendary Member

Location - Canada, ON

Post by JNeuhoff » Sun Sep 26, 2021 8:43 pm

straightlight wrote:
Sun Sep 26, 2021 7:46 pm
liprotech.in wrote:
Hi,
Please read the original post. He wants to move away from using Journal!

Though I wouldn't recommed Revo nor eMarket when performance or pagespeed is of importance. The best option would be an OpenCart standard compliant web theme, like the ones from Antropy.

Export/Import Tool * SpamBot Buster * Unused Images Manager * Instant Option Price Calculator * Number Option * Google Tag Manager * Survey Plus * OpenTwig

Guru Member

Post by straightlight » Sun Sep 26, 2021 10:31 pm

JNeuhoff wrote:
Sun Sep 26, 2021 8:43 pm
straightlight wrote:
Sun Sep 26, 2021 7:46 pm
liprotech.in wrote:
Hi,
Please read the original post. He wants to move away from using Journal!

Though I wouldn't recommed Revo nor eMarket when performance or pagespeed is of importance. The best option would be an OpenCart standard compliant web theme, like the ones from Antropy.
Which means he still has it!

Dedication and passion goes to those who are able to push and merge a project.

Regards,
Straightlight
Programmer / Opencart Tester

Legendary Member

Location - Canada, ON

Post by paulfeakins » Mon Sep 27, 2021 6:17 pm

JNeuhoff wrote:
Sun Sep 26, 2021 8:43 pm
Thanks very much indeed Jeff, and indeed it really is best to use themes that only change the CSS and then pretty much all extensions will be guaranteed to work: https://www.antropy.co.uk/services/ecommerce-business/

UK OpenCart Hosting | OpenCart Audits | OpenCart Support - please email info@antropy.co.uk

Guru Member

Location - London Gatwick, United Kingdom

Post by artful » Fri Jan 07, 2022 11:52 am

Hello,

I too am trying to listen to you and find a theme to use other than Journal.

I understand that you guys suggest that we stick with a simple Opencart theme but I just want more bells and whistles than a simple theme provides.

eMarket Theme by SmartAddons looks to be similar in functionality to Journal, but I haven't been able to find the same kind of Opencart Developer hate online for it! :) So I'm hoping it could be my solution.

Would you say that eMarket theme, using SO Page Builder, appears to be a safer theme to use than Journal? With more extensions being compatible with it than Journal?

Thanks in advance.

Chrysti

Post by JNeuhoff » Fri Jan 07, 2022 7:22 pm

@artful: Are you looking for an OpenCart web theme? Or are you looking for other extensions such as a blog module etc?

These two things are not the same. If a so-called theme author can't even sell his theme unless he bundles a lot of non-theme related extensions into his package, yet disguises it all as a "web theme" then this alone is a clear warning signal to be careful.

Many so-called theme developers don't even know how to properly use Twig or CSS, let alone have a clear understanding of the MVC concept (e.g. Journal3 calling controllers unnecessarily from the template etc).

What's really needed is a vetting process or a quality control for 3rd party OpenCart extensions. While so-called themes are the worst offenders, there are many other non-theme extensions which shouldn't even be on the marketplace because of the poor quality.

Export/Import Tool * SpamBot Buster * Unused Images Manager * Instant Option Price Calculator * Number Option * Google Tag Manager * Survey Plus * OpenTwig

Guru Member

Post by artful » Mon Jan 10, 2022 8:13 am

Thanks for your reply,

I understand what you are saying. Ultimately I think I prefer using a 'theme' that has these extra extensions included as that way there should be less risk of any conflict between the extra extensions. I have had issues in the past where different plugins conflict with each other and unfortunately each developer blames the other and I get no solid resolution. Which is disheartening and makes it hard to put your faith in any developer you haven't used before, thereby limiting extensions available.

The eMarket theme appears to have been first published in 2017 so I suppose if you Opencart Forum Gurus haven't heard of it yet would be a good thing, right?! Not overwhelmed with complaints at least!

Thanks again for taking the time to reply. I really appreciate it.