Post by CJC » Tue Sep 28, 2021 4:55 am

Hi All,
We were just asked to design a new website for a fuel oil delivery company. Their current site lets customers order fuel delivery online via a simple script that gets the prices from a database that the client updates each night and then sends the order to their merchant gateway provider. I thought that maybe having a full fledged e-commerce site might be advantageous. Though it would really only be the one product that customers would order (oil) and the price would change based on the quality (usually in 25 gallon increments). So I'd need to display the price on the product page in a more table-like format and possibly limit the order quantities to multiples of 25. Do you all think that it would be worth tweaking OC to address this type of site or is it overkill?
Thanks!

CJC

Post by mikeinterserv » Tue Sep 28, 2021 5:05 am

Well - It depends.

Is the current site functioning perfectly well for customers and vendor ?
What advantage do you seek to gain by changing current arrangements. ?
Does the cost justify any gain ?
Etc

There's that old saying - If it aint broke, don't fix it.
OC could handle the scenario you decscribe, probably with few changes or maybe an extension or two.

Location - Wales

Post by CJC » Tue Sep 28, 2021 5:17 am

So the site is technically functioning as far as a visitors ability to place an order. However, I haven't really dug into the scripts to see how secure they are, etc. The site itself is over 10 years old and looks horrible. They are also considering looking for a more competitive gateway processor. My interest is using a full e-commerce package would be to give them better (more user friendly) access to customer info, orders, generate sales reports, etc. Also the ability to use the platform to market to past customers.
mikeinterserv wrote:
Tue Sep 28, 2021 5:05 am
Well - It depends.

Etc

OC could handle the scenario you decscribe, probably with few changes or maybe an extension or two.

CJC

Post by mikeinterserv » Tue Sep 28, 2021 5:24 am

Sounds like you have answered your own initial question then.
Sounds like time to help them update :-)

Location - Wales

Post by thekrotek » Tue Sep 28, 2021 5:30 am

Despite tons of issues OpenCart is suitable for ANY store no matter the products sold. It all depends on time/money you're allowed/willing to spend. If you can affoord a decent developer, you will have anything you want.

Professional OpenCart extensions, support and custom work.
Contact me via email or Skype by support@thekrotek.com

Expert Member

Post by straightlight » Tue Sep 28, 2021 5:30 am

CJC wrote:
Tue Sep 28, 2021 4:55 am
Hi All,
We were just asked to design a new website for a fuel oil delivery company. Their current site lets customers order fuel delivery online via a simple script that gets the prices from a database that the client updates each night and then sends the order to their merchant gateway provider. I thought that maybe having a full fledged e-commerce site might be advantageous. Though it would really only be the one product that customers would order (oil) and the price would change based on the quality (usually in 25 gallon increments). So I'd need to display the price on the product page in a more table-like format and possibly limit the order quantities to multiples of 25. Do you all think that it would be worth tweaking OC to address this type of site or is it overkill?
Thanks!
No overkill. Event triggers and an order total extension could do this part.
CJC wrote:
Tue Sep 28, 2021 5:17 am
So the site is technically functioning as far as a visitors ability to place an order. However, I haven't really dug into the scripts to see how secure they are, etc. The site itself is over 10 years old and looks horrible. They are also considering looking for a more competitive gateway processor. My interest is using a full e-commerce package would be to give them better (more user friendly) access to customer info, orders, generate sales reports, etc. Also the ability to use the platform to market to past customers.
mikeinterserv wrote:
Tue Sep 28, 2021 5:05 am
Well - It depends.

Etc

As for this part, however, a full e-commerce platform would be, indeed, more ideal than launching separate scripts to payment providers. As for providing information such as customer information, orders, generate sales reports, etc. I would then focus on the GDPR / CCPA / CCRA regulations prior to provide such contents on the store-front end if that being inclusive in the process. As for the ability to market past customers, the best option would be to consider protection against CSRF attackers to prevent propagation from Marketing Companies to use produced sales and confidential information from your stores. In the end, it doesn't only come to a full platform where these observations needs to be made but rather how protected your customers and users will be on both ends to, either, produce or handle the sales.

Dedication and passion goes to those who are able to push and merge a project.

Regards,
Straightlight
Programmer / Opencart Tester

Legendary Member

Location - Canada, ON

Post by paulfeakins » Tue Sep 28, 2021 6:39 pm

CJC wrote:
OpenCart would be a great choice as it would give you easy access to loads of different payment gateways and the functionality for customer accounts, order history etc. etc.

UK OpenCart Hosting | OpenCart Audits | OpenCart Support - please email info@antropy.co.uk

Guru Member

Location - London Gatwick, United Kingdom

Post by rjcalifornia » Thu Sep 30, 2021 8:06 am

CJC wrote:
Hi All,
Thanks!
It would be better to tweak OpenCart, specially to track all orders, and organize everything in just one place. Also, it will be easier to manage prices, products, etc.

A2 Hosting features: Shared Turbo Boost, Managed Warp 1, Unmanaged Hyper 1, and Warp 2 Turbo

Location - Worldwide

Post by straightlight » Thu Sep 30, 2021 6:13 pm

rjcalifornia wrote:
Thu Sep 30, 2021 8:06 am
CJC wrote:
Hi All,
Thanks!
It would be better to tweak OpenCart, specially to track all orders, and organize everything in just one place. Also, it will be easier to manage prices, products, etc.
Order Reports are already integrated out-of-the-box.

Dedication and passion goes to those who are able to push and merge a project.

Regards,
Straightlight
Programmer / Opencart Tester

Legendary Member

Location - Canada, ON

Post by Ben@OpenCart » Fri Oct 01, 2021 5:05 pm

Yes, you can basically extend the functionalities of opencart with your chosen extensions that will definitely make everything work for you. You will have to tweak some of the functions and you will be ready to go. Don't forget you are working with the fastest e-commerce platform that will make your business a success.

Administrator