Post by Onorio » Wed Nov 10, 2021 9:20 pm

Hello everyone, I've searched the forum for a solution regarding the issue I'm experiencing, but I couldn't find anything that helped, only one tread seemed very similar to what I was experiencing (viewtopic.php?f=202&t=217570) but I was advised to create a new one from scratch.

I'm currently using opencart v. 3.0.3.7 with journal 3.1.8

The issue I'm experiencing is the following:
Sometimes, when an order is sent from a customer it arrives in the admin with a total of 0€... Even if the client tries to view it from their order history it shows as a 0€ order. Sometimes these orders will also show no products (image1), and some other times it will show the products but, the total will be 0€ (image2).
Now, the very odd part is that both the client and the admin receive a "order confirmation email" and the email always arrives with all the products ordered and a correct total at the end.
This issue happens on a very small percentage of orders (it happens on 5% of orders, but this varies) all the rest seem to arrive correctly.

Since upgrading to this newer version of opencart we haven't installed any extensions that influence the order total... We've been using the ones that we had before the upgrade and reinstalled them with their latest available version.
I will list below the extensions that we use during the checkout:
  • coupon
  • simple payment fee (used for taxes and other fees)
  • Voucher
  • Sub Total
  • Total
  • weight based shipping
  • x-shipping pro
  • bank transfer
  • nexi
  • cash on delivery
  • paypal express checkout
As mentioned before, all of these extensions have always worked perfectly in the previous version.
The orders have close to nothing in common... So it's very hard for me to find a pattern. The only thing I noticed is that it mostly happens when a client compleates an order and then right after adds another order, the second one will arrive with a 0€ total (not always but it's the only common factor).

Attached I have inserted yesterday's recorded errors from the error.log.
Yesterday, the 0€ total happened 4 times (the most ever) that's why I picked that date for the error log.

Thanks in advance to anyone who is willing to land a hand, if more information is required I will be more than happy to provide it.
KInd regards,

Onorio Torti.

Attachments

image2.jpg

image2.jpg (311.63 KiB) Viewed 1722 times

image1.jpg

image1.jpg (273.15 KiB) Viewed 1722 times

Post by JNeuhoff » Wed Nov 10, 2021 11:58 pm

You need to get in touch with the Journal3 support on this, the standard OpenCart checkout does not have this issue!

Export/Import Tool * SpamBot Buster * Unused Images Manager * Instant Option Price Calculator * Number Option * Google Tag Manager * Survey Plus * OpenTwig

Guru Member

Post by Onorio » Thu Nov 11, 2021 12:12 am

Ok I could also open a ticket with them to see if it's an issue with the theme.
Do you see something in the error log that could be related to that?

Post by JNeuhoff » Thu Nov 11, 2021 12:37 am

Yes, there are plenty of PHP Notice messages which are related to Journal3.

Journal3 is not a proper standard-compliant web theme, it uses it's own modified core framework, and is of poor quality software design.

You also got errors related to another 3rd party extension named lscache, there is a good chance that it may clash with the Journal3 framework, because 3rd party extensions are usually written for the OpenCart framework only.

Export/Import Tool * SpamBot Buster * Unused Images Manager * Instant Option Price Calculator * Number Option * Google Tag Manager * Survey Plus * OpenTwig

Guru Member

Post by by mona » Thu Nov 11, 2021 1:09 am

Your courtesy is appreciated.

We do not have much in the way of knowledge about the problem you are experiencing, that usually suggests it is not opencart.

When an extension or theme alters the code so significantly it is impossible for us to assist. That is one of the reasons your theme is not supported, there are many others. However paid support is available in the commercial section.

In your case there are so many issues with your theme and the checkout as well as its caching practices that I would say its there, especially since your only idea of recreation suggests it is there.

It could also be one of your extensions. You need to find out how to replicate and then you can turn off one by one and check.

You also do not state what the pervious version is?
You also do not really explain - are the orders being paid for?

@OSWorX something has been brought up before that might be connected ?

DISCLAIMER:
You should not modify core files .. if you would like to donate a cup of coffee I will write it in a modification for you.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zXIxDoCRc84

Expert Member

Post by thekrotek » Thu Nov 11, 2021 1:39 am

JNeuhoff wrote:
Thu Nov 11, 2021 12:37 am
You also got errors related to another 3rd party extension named lscache, there is a good chance that it may clash with the Journal3 framework, because 3rd party extensions are usually written for the OpenCart framework only.
This. I'm 99% positive it's a caching issue. OC has cache, J3 has cache, another caching extension is active... ugh...

Professional OpenCart extensions, support and custom work.
Contact me via email or Skype by support@thekrotek.com

Expert Member

Post by Gergely » Thu Nov 11, 2021 6:09 pm

Onorio wrote:
Wed Nov 10, 2021 9:20 pm
Hello everyone, I've searched the forum for a solution regarding the issue I'm experiencing, but I couldn't find anything that helped, only one tread seemed very similar to what I was experiencing (viewtopic.php?f=202&t=217570) but I was advised to create a new one from scratch.

I'm currently using opencart v. 3.0.3.7 with journal 3.1.8
It turns out OP from the topic you link to was also using Journal 3 (see screenshot for proof). That really seems to be the common denominator here. The J3 one-page checkout could also well be the reason that you're receiving those zero-total duplicate orders... I am not an expert on Journal, but I do believe they provide an option to turn off the one-page checkout and fall back to the default opencart one. I can't guarantee that this will solve the issue, as a badly written front-end could still trigger multiple orders on the same checkout, but there should be less room for error.

It could also be a caching issue of course as others have mentioned here, or a whole constellation of otherwise unrelated problems. You should definitely contact Journal support about this, and if that doesn't lead to a resolution, try the Commercial Support section on this forum. And on a longer-term scope, you should give some thought to ditching Journal altogether and replacing it with opencart compatible alternatives.

I hope this helps,
Gergely

Attachments

journal3.png

journal3.png (213.96 KiB) Viewed 1539 times

Last edited by Gergely on Thu Nov 11, 2021 7:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post by paulfeakins » Thu Nov 11, 2021 7:20 pm

thekrotek wrote:
Thu Nov 11, 2021 1:39 am
This. I'm 99% positive it's a caching issue. OC has cache, J3 has cache, another caching extension is active... ugh...
https://www.antropy.co.uk/blog/how-to-c ... t-3-0-2-0/

UK OpenCart Hosting | OpenCart Audits | OpenCart Support - please email info@antropy.co.uk

Guru Member

Location - London Gatwick, United Kingdom

Post by Onorio » Thu Nov 11, 2021 10:34 pm

Thanks everyone, I have submitted a ticket with journal to see what they respond.
If they menage to fix the issue great! If not, I will try disabiling some of the caches as I believe the issue is there.
Having too many is never a great idea and currently we have: opencart cache, journal cache and lscache.
Cloudflare is set to "BYPASS" so I don't believe the issue is there.
I will keep you posted if I manage to find the problem.
Thanks again.

Post by xxvirusxx » Thu Nov 11, 2021 10:44 pm

Onorio wrote:
Thu Nov 11, 2021 10:34 pm
Thanks everyone, I have submitted a ticket with journal
Why?
Switch 1 min to Default and check...

Upgrade Service | OC 2.3.0.2 PHP 8 | My Custom OC 3.0.3.8 | Buy me a beer

Expert Member

Location - România

Post by Onorio » Thu Nov 11, 2021 11:27 pm

Switch 1 min to Default and check...
What do you mean?

Post by by mona » Fri Nov 12, 2021 12:31 am

He means temporally return to default theme
You can also temporarily disable all modules in modifications one by one.

Always good to do this out of working hours.
Since you ask a “rookie” question (not offence intended - it is out of kindness) - you are aware that the most essential thing for a web site owner is to ensure they have back ups of both files and database as a precaution. Most service providers do this on at least a daily basis.

Do this this first (and no do not use the opencart built in functionality to do this - use your service provider / cPanel / phpadmin)

I also would check this yourself first. As I said, I do think it is your theme checkout and caching, but there is something that might be relevant, so it is worth double checking as xxvirusxx has suggested.

DISCLAIMER:
You should not modify core files .. if you would like to donate a cup of coffee I will write it in a modification for you.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zXIxDoCRc84

Expert Member

Post by JNeuhoff » Fri Nov 12, 2021 1:26 am

Or just disable the Journal3 onepage checkout, it should then use the standard multistep checkout.

Guru Member

Post by galbeazaionut » Thu Nov 25, 2021 11:53 pm

Hello,

I have the same issue.
I tried disable cache, clear cache, change controllers/models but nothing happened.
Only 1-2% of order got total 0 and no products. In email confirmation all is good.
OC version 3.0.3.1.

If you will resolve, please put here the answer.

Thank you!!

Post by Onorio » Fri Nov 26, 2021 3:54 pm

galbeazaionut wrote:
Thu Nov 25, 2021 11:53 pm
Hello,

I have the same issue.
I tried disable cache, clear cache, change controllers/models but nothing happened.
Only 1-2% of order got total 0 and no products. In email confirmation all is good.
OC version 3.0.3.1.

If you will resolve, please put here the answer.

Thank you!!
Journal only advised me on using the default opencart checkout rather then the one page version, if this is something you want to try for yourself it might solve the issue. If you use cloudflare, you could try reducing the browser TTL... I am currently testing with a 1 day TTL and the error hasen't happened in 4 days.
I believe this is the issue, a contrast between different caches. I will probably end up removing cloudflare all together but for right now I'm just testing results.

Post by JNeuhoff » Fri Nov 26, 2021 6:39 pm

Journal, CloudFlare, ...

Some people try everything to slow down their OpenCart sites and create problems ::)

Guru Member

Post by straightlight » Fri Nov 26, 2021 7:30 pm

JNeuhoff wrote:
Fri Nov 26, 2021 6:39 pm
Journal, CloudFlare, ...

Some people try everything to slow down their OpenCart sites and create problems ::)
The less they do, the more it takes.

Dedication and passion goes to those who are able to push and merge a project.

Regards,
Straightlight
Programmer / Opencart Tester

Legendary Member

Location - Canada, ON

Post by Onorio » Fri Nov 26, 2021 8:21 pm

actually the issue happened again today. I imagined it would since the cloudflare caching for me is set to: BYPASS
It was worth the try but that's not the problem.

Post by galbeazaionut » Tue Nov 30, 2021 4:13 pm

Onorio wrote:
Fri Nov 26, 2021 8:21 pm
actually the issue happened again today. I imagined it would since the cloudflare caching for me is set to: BYPASS
I don`t use cloudflare and the problem persist. I think it`s not cloudflare problem.
I think it`s a bug from session/cache but I can`t find the solution. :-X :-X

Post by ADD Creative » Tue Nov 30, 2021 8:05 pm

galbeazaionut wrote:
Tue Nov 30, 2021 4:13 pm
Onorio wrote:
Fri Nov 26, 2021 8:21 pm
I don`t use cloudflare and the problem persist. I think it`s not cloudflare problem.
I think it`s a bug from session/cache but I can`t find the solution. :-X :-X
If the order emails are correct and the order stored in the database in wrong, then the problem is definitely with the Journal theme or an extension. The reason is the order emails are sent using the order details stored in the database. There is no code in OpenCart that changes the order stored in the database unless you edit it in the admin.

The Journal theme does modify orders stored in the database. There have been many reports of this behaviour causing problems.
viewtopic.php?f=202&t=225618#p828884

www.add-creative.co.uk

Expert Member

Location - United Kingdom