Post by S.O. » Sat Jan 15, 2022 11:56 pm

OC 3.0.3.8 doesn't work well with PHP 8.xxxx
PHP 7.4 is end of life at the end of nov 2022 https://www.php.net/supported-versions.php.
Our hosting platform support only PHP versions that are supported.
So at the end of nov 2022 PHP 7.4 won't be available anymore.
Does anyone know if the OC 3.0.3.8 will be updated to support PHP 8.xx or that OC 4.x.x.x will be ready at that time so we can upgrade the webshop ?

S.O.

Post by thekrotek » Sun Jan 16, 2022 1:16 am

There's a 99% chance that no to both. And there're no crucial incompatibilities with PHP 8, all of them can be fixed by reading these forums or StackOverflow.

Professional OpenCart extensions, support and custom work.
Contact me via email or Skype by support@thekrotek.com

Expert Member

Post by OSWorX » Sun Jan 16, 2022 2:05 pm

S.O. wrote:
Sat Jan 15, 2022 11:56 pm
PHP 7.4 is end of life at the end of nov 2022
Does anyone know if the OC 3.0.3.8 will be updated to support PHP 8.xx or that OC 4.x.x.x will be ready at that time so we can upgrade the webshop ?
You are a quite funny guy!
Today it's the 15th January 2022 and you really are asking what may be in November 2022 (in 11 months) ?!

You made my day.

Full Stack Web Developer :: Dedicated OpenCart Development & Support DACH Region
Contact for Custom Work / Fast Support.

Guru Member

Location - Austria

Post by S.O. » Sun Jan 16, 2022 10:45 pm

OSWorX wrote:
Sun Jan 16, 2022 2:05 pm
S.O. wrote:
PHP 7.4 is end of life at the end of nov 2022
You are a quite funny guy!
Today it's the 15th January 2022 and you really are asking what may be in November 2022 (in 11 months) ?!

You made my day.
:crazy: Perhaps I am crazy.....
But time is going fast.. Before we know it is nov 2022.
As overall system admin for a company is looking ahead for over a year nothing special.
This prevents unwanted downtime and ad hoc sollutions.

Sure..We can ignore / supress every warning en depreciation messages from php.... "Good job....That is the best practice in ICT world" ???
Only react when thing are broken... The business will like that... I don't think so.

Just my 2 cents...

S.O.

Post by OSWorX » Mon Jan 17, 2022 12:00 am

S.O. wrote:
Sun Jan 16, 2022 10:45 pm
As overall system admin for a company is looking ahead for over a year nothing special.
Good admin.
S.O. wrote:
Sure..We can ignore / supress every warning en depreciation messages from php.... "Good job....That is the best practice in ICT world" ???
Only react when thing are broken...
Nobody said, but 10 months prior .. ?

But - as "good admin" you are - you should know also that when you look at Github and see how fast things "evolve", 10 months are nothing .. we all here are waiting since the July 27, 2017 .. only 4 and 1/2 years ..
So, it could be that you will see a new version -fully compatible with php 8.x - in 3 weeks .. or also in 10 months ..
Beside this, making 3.0.3.8 full compatible for php 8.x will cost only a few bucks for that big company ..

Full Stack Web Developer :: Dedicated OpenCart Development & Support DACH Region

Guru Member

Location - Austria

Post by straightlight » Mon Jan 17, 2022 1:50 am

The master branch already handles PHP 8 maintenance, on anyhow, as we speak.

Dedication and passion goes to those who are able to push and merge a project.

Regards,
Straightlight
Programmer / Opencart Tester

Legendary Member

Location - Canada, ON

Post by OSWorX » Mon Jan 17, 2022 3:38 am

straightlight wrote:
Mon Jan 17, 2022 1:50 am
Master branch is currently only a "play ground"!
Nothing to use in a live shop - and that since 4 years.

Guru Member

Location - Austria

Post by S.O. » Mon Jan 17, 2022 4:54 am

OSWorX wrote:
Mon Jan 17, 2022 12:00 am
S.O. wrote:
Good admin.
S.O. wrote:
Only react when thing are broken...
Nobody said, but 10 months prior .. ?

But - as "good admin" you are - you should know also that when you look at Github and see how fast things "evolve", 10 months are nothing .. we all here are waiting since the July 27, 2017 .. only 4 and 1/2 years ..
So, it could be that you will see a new version -fully compatible with php 8.x - in 3 weeks .. or also in 10 months ..
Beside this, making 3.0.3.8 full compatible for php 8.x will cost only a few bucks for that big company ..
Funny... That I work as a admin, doesn't mean automaticly that the shop is used by that company... :joker:
The shop is used in a two person company...So there is no money to spend on (bug) fixing the webshop... :)

It looks like that I have to become a wannabe PHP programmer, to get this challenge sorted.. :choke:
That amount of freetime isn't available :(
I doubt it if I even have enough knowlegde for that...

Post by by mona » Mon Jan 17, 2022 5:28 am

Whilst I understand your point, having a go at the people here is not the best way to get free assistance. We are not paid to be here, so what do you expect from us? To take time out of our working day to help people who make money from our time and work - oh right we do that already !

A shop is a commercial enterprise and from what you are saying you get paid in this commercial enterprise but have no desire to share the profits. The dream of open-source was to defy that unethical logic of fat cat corporations, not to filter it down to small cats.

You get paid for your knowledge and time. So do we. You will have to find the time and acquire the knowledge, like we did from many sources, including the amazing work done by those that came before us [ to whom I again say thank you ].

We spend more time that most on “charity work” and get posts like the above when unreasonable requests are not fulfilled.

DISCLAIMER:
You should not modify core files .. if you would like to donate a cup of coffee I will write it in a modification for you.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zXIxDoCRc84

Expert Member

Post by S.O. » Mon Jan 17, 2022 5:59 am

by mona wrote:
Mon Jan 17, 2022 5:28 am
Whilst I understand your point, having a go at the people here is not the best way to get free assistance. We are not paid to be here, so what do you expect from us? To take time out of our working day to help people who make money from our time and work - oh right we do that already !

A shop is a commercial enterprise and from what you are saying you get paid in this commercial enterprise but have no desire to share the profits. The dream of open-source was to defy that unethical logic of fat cat corporations, not to filter it down to small cats.

You get paid for your knowledge and time. So do we. You will have to find the time and acquire the knowledge, like we did from many sources, including the amazing work done by those that came before us [ to whom I again say thank you ].

We spend more time that most on “charity work” and get posts like the above when unreasonable requests are not fulfilled.
Hi,
It started just with a normal question.
Is there any info about updates related to PHP 8.
I didn't blame or push someone.

Everyone with any knowledge knows, that looking at the eol lifestatus is a common bestpractice.
And when people think that take a look ahead is just funny to make there day.
The can get my prof. opion.

I do know that this is opensource code and work of free labor.
I did look around in the code for quite some time.

Also added my time and the little skills I have, to this project.
https://github.com/opencart/opencart/discussions/10271
https://github.com/opencart/opencart/pull/9777

Also busy with translations.

S.O.

Post by paulfeakins » Mon Jan 17, 2022 8:39 pm

S.O. wrote:
OC 3.0.3.8 doesn't work well with PHP 8.xxxx
PHP 7.4 is end of life at the end of nov 2022 https://www.php.net/supported-versions.php.
Our hosting platform support only PHP versions that are supported.
So at the end of nov 2022 PHP 7.4 won't be available anymore.
Find a host (such as ourselves) that allows you to remain on 7.4 using CloudLinux to keep it secure with HardenedPHP: https://lp.cloudlinux.com/hardenedphp-wp

UK OpenCart Hosting | OpenCart Audits | OpenCart Support - please email info@antropy.co.uk

Guru Member

Location - London Gatwick, United Kingdom

Post by straightlight » Tue Jan 18, 2022 11:15 am

OSWorX wrote:
Mon Jan 17, 2022 3:38 am
straightlight wrote:
It was never said on the topic nor on the post so far that the master branch was ready for production as we speak but I did replied in regards of the PHP 8 maintenance as opposed to previous versions.

Dedication and passion goes to those who are able to push and merge a project.

Regards,
Straightlight
Programmer / Opencart Tester

Legendary Member

Location - Canada, ON

Post by OSWorX » Tue Jan 18, 2022 3:21 pm

straightlight wrote:
Tue Jan 18, 2022 11:15 am
OSWorX wrote:
Mon Jan 17, 2022 3:38 am
straightlight wrote:
It was never said on the topic nor on the post so far that the master branch was ready for production as we speak but I did replied in regards of the PHP 8 maintenance as opposed to previous versions.
So well and correct.
But saying "master branch" may lead some to think, that this will be the latest "stable" version.
As can be seen here with some messages.
This so called "master branch" is "only" the development branch for the next version (4.x) and should never be used for a live shop!

Just to highlight that to everybody.

Guru Member

Location - Austria