Post by Joe1234 » Mon May 16, 2022 11:29 pm

When an extension has a license check built in the settings does that give the developer the ability to shut down the extension for whatever reason? Why would it be there if support requests are not done via form through the extension?

v3.0.3.9 php 8.1
I'm here for a reason, if your response is contact a/the developer, just don't reply.

Post by by mona » Tue May 17, 2022 1:06 am

Not an Opencart question. You would have to ask the developer.

DISCLAIMER:
You should not modify core files .. if you would like to donate a cup of coffee I will write it in a modification for you.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zXIxDoCRc84

Expert Member

Post by paulfeakins » Tue May 17, 2022 7:25 pm

Joe1234 wrote:
Mon May 16, 2022 11:29 pm
When an extension has a license check built in the settings does that give the developer the ability to shut down the extension for whatever reason?
Yes.

Joe1234 wrote:
Why would it be there if support requests are not done via form through the extension?
Eh?

UK OpenCart Hosting | OpenCart Audits | OpenCart Support - please email info@antropy.co.uk

Guru Member

Location - London Gatwick, United Kingdom

Post by OSWorX » Fri May 20, 2022 3:57 pm

paulfeakins wrote:
Tue May 17, 2022 7:25 pm
Joe1234 wrote:
When an extension has a license check built in the settings does that give the developer the ability to shut down the extension for whatever reason?
Yes.
To be clear(er) on this question and answer.

First of all, each and every extension has to be published under the GNU/GPL License.
That means (in short), you can use it how you like, where you want and as many times you want.

Next, encrypted or obfuscated extensions (or parts inside them) are therefore (because of the license) strictly forbidden!
No one (except the developer itself) knows what this part is really doing in the background.

Next: "checking a license" is useless.
Not that there is really a "license", there is nothing to check.
What a check could do, is to check if a "support" timeframe is valid (e.g. for updates, etc.).

Finally: no, none of this so called "License Checks" can disable any extension!

What they really do, is do "check" if there is a so called "License Key" (or in some cases if the domain match the stored value - in some cases both).
And if present, verify such with the stored values on a server of the developer.
If not given, or does not match, the extension itself will either display a message or will disable itself.

Such checks will never give any developer the chance to "disable" the extension with (additional) code from outside (that would mean that he would have access to your webstore!).

Which means also, every "license check" and further actions can be disabled - simply check the code.

Btw: if you have "bought" the extension regular, no one has the right to disable any extension - there are no reasons for doing so!

Full Stack Web Developer :: Dedicated OpenCart Development & Support DACH Region
Contact for Custom Work / Fast Support.

Guru Member

Location - Austria

Post by Joe1234 » Sat May 21, 2022 7:27 am

I went and disabled all the checks in it...I think I got all of them. There were a bunch of main functions that were conditional on checking the license and I just didn't like the thought of that. I figure the check for date of purchase made sense for assistance, but I was just getting a bad vibe overall.

Thanks.

v3.0.3.9 php 8.1
I'm here for a reason, if your response is contact a/the developer, just don't reply.