Post by siteadvice » Wed Jun 22, 2022 6:17 pm

I've just had an incident where a customer was allowed to check out of a store using Version 3.0.3.2 without paying.

The customer had no store credit or gift voucher and in fact he didn't even previously have a registered account. The order totals section of his order simply has the product price, quantity, sub-total, tax and total. There is no deduction of any sort.

I had installed Free Checkout solely for testing the checkout process end to end - allocating some store credit to my demo account so that I could check out and bypass the transaction gateway.

There was of course a suspicion that maybe it was a fraudulent order, but on contacting the customer he was actually very helpful. He re-ordered the item, paying in full, and sent us this email:

It was weird. I went to check out, then it simply set payment as ‘free account’, so I hit ‘next’ and there was no payment, just thanks for order. I didn’t see a charge on my credit card nor did I get a confirmation mail which I found odd with is what prompted me to send the ‘did you get my order?’ mail.

I was on PC, Windows 10 With Edge Browser Version 102.0.1245.44 (Official build) (64-bit). The next day I used Chrome and it was fine so maybe something in page layout in Edge browser?

I can't imagine it's actually anything to do with Microsoft Edge but then again I can't see how it could happen at all.

Although he says he didn't receive a copy of the order confirmation email, we got ours in the office, so I think probably that is a red herring — his probably got blocked by spam filtering.

I have disabled Free Checkout for the time being as we don't really need it, so this isn't an urgent issue.

Has anyone had any similar experience or know of a cause?

inframes.com Website Design with Opencart, Wordpress, Lucee and bespoke application design and development

Post by ADD Creative » Wed Jun 22, 2022 7:46 pm

When you view the order in your admin, is the Payment Method actually set to Free Checkout?

Have you checked both the OpenCart and PHP error logs for error messages at the time of the order?

What theme and extensions are you using?

www.add-creative.co.uk

Expert Member

Location - United Kingdom

Post by paulfeakins » Wed Jun 22, 2022 8:06 pm

siteadvice wrote:
Wed Jun 22, 2022 6:17 pm
I had installed Free Checkout
That applies to everything.

UK OpenCart Hosting | OpenCart Audits | OpenCart Support - please email info@antropy.co.uk

Guru Member

Location - London Gatwick, United Kingdom

Post by siteadvice » Wed Jun 22, 2022 11:02 pm

ADD Creative wrote:
Wed Jun 22, 2022 7:46 pm
When you view the order in your admin, is the Payment Method actually set to Free Checkout?

Have you checked both the OpenCart and PHP error logs for error messages at the time of the order?

What theme and extensions are you using?
Yes, payment method was logged as Free Checkout.

I have checked the error logs and there was nothing at all at the time the purchase was made.

The theme is a customised version of the default Opencart theme.

And I have far too many extensions and modifications running to even begin listing them!

Mostly I was just interested to find out if there are any known incidences of this happening.

inframes.com Website Design with Opencart, Wordpress, Lucee and bespoke application design and development

Post by siteadvice » Wed Jun 22, 2022 11:03 pm

paulfeakins wrote:
Wed Jun 22, 2022 8:06 pm
siteadvice wrote:
I'm afraid I don't understand your comment, but thank you for your interest all the same.

Post by ADD Creative » Wed Jun 22, 2022 11:46 pm

siteadvice wrote:
Wed Jun 22, 2022 11:02 pm
Mostly I was just interested to find out if there are any known incidences of this happening.
Not seen this happen myself. However, we find most checkout problems are caused by extensions.

www.add-creative.co.uk

Expert Member

Location - United Kingdom

Post by siteadvice » Thu Jun 23, 2022 12:02 am

ADD Creative wrote:
Wed Jun 22, 2022 11:46 pm
Not seen this happen myself. However, we find most checkout problems are caused by extensions.
Fair enough. I'm not too worried about it as I have disabled the Free Checkout payment module now and I probably won't need to re-enable it. We've had about 1,000 orders through the site since the Free Checkout module was first enabled, and the same product has been sold multiple times to other customers without a hiccup, and yet this has only happened once, so I would not know where to begin trying to recreate the circumstances that caused it!

Post by paulfeakins » Thu Jun 23, 2022 6:09 pm

siteadvice wrote:
Wed Jun 22, 2022 11:03 pm
paulfeakins wrote:
Wed Jun 22, 2022 8:06 pm
siteadvice wrote:
I'm afraid I don't understand your comment, but thank you for your interest all the same.
I just mean that if you enable Free Checkout then I think anyone can buy anything for free?

UK OpenCart Hosting | OpenCart Audits | OpenCart Support - please email info@antropy.co.uk

Guru Member

Location - London Gatwick, United Kingdom

Post by siteadvice » Thu Jun 23, 2022 6:35 pm

paulfeakins wrote:
Thu Jun 23, 2022 6:09 pm
I just mean that if you enable Free Checkout then I think anyone can buy anything for free?
That's not what Free Checkout is for. It is there to allow people to bypass the payment process if the basket total is zero. For example, if a product is free of charge (eg. a free download) or if the customer has a gift voucher / store credit to the value of the basket.

Post by fegdeed » Fri Jun 24, 2022 11:34 am

siteadvice wrote:
Thu Jun 23, 2022 12:02 am
ADD Creative wrote:
Wed Jun 22, 2022 11:46 pm
Fair enough. I'm not too worried about it as I have disabled the Free Checkout payment module now and I probably won't need to re-enable it. We've had about 1,000 orders through the site since the Free Checkout module was first enabled, and the same product has been sold multiple times to other customers without a hiccup, and yet this has only happened once, so I would not know where to begin trying to recreate the circumstances that caused it!
Try to disable free checkout and set the item price to 0 for free items.
You can then install this free extension to change the price of 0 to free https://www.opencart.com/index.php?rout ... _license=0.

Get a secure, fast, and reliable web hosting service from https://turnuphosting.com.

Post by phpscript7 » Fri Jun 24, 2022 3:04 pm

If it is solved now you write [Solved] in the title - Thank you

Post by siteadvice » Fri Jun 24, 2022 5:22 pm

fegdeed wrote:
Fri Jun 24, 2022 11:34 am
Try to disable free checkout and set the item price to 0 for free items.
I already disabled Free Checkout. As I said, I had only installed it for testing purposes.

The website in question does not have any free items.

The purpose of this thread was to see if anyone else has experienced this issue.

Post by siteadvice » Fri Jun 24, 2022 5:26 pm

phpscript7 wrote:
Fri Jun 24, 2022 3:04 pm
If it is solved now you write [Solved] in the title - Thank you
Thank you for your contribution, but unfortunately the problem isn't solved. Turning off Free Checkout isn't really a solution. I haven't found out any further information from this thread so far that would explain why a customer was able to check out using Free Checkout to purchase a full-price product without having any credit on their account. Potentially, if anyone else comes forward with a similar experience, this thread may be helpful in trying to identify the circumstances that allowed this to occur. But sadly, not so far!