Post by eesyboi » Fri Sep 19, 2014 6:09 pm

I'm kinda new here.. Or should i say, i was here when vQmod was launched but have been inactive for over a year now.. I decided i'll come back to get more involved.

Coming back to see vQmod will likely be replaced by something new and different from what i'm already used to is a big turn down.

vQmod has so much feature, support and acceptance, its better to stick with vQmod or include the important features of vQmod in ocMod.

TastyIgniter - Open Source Restaurant Ordering and Management System

Post by JNeuhoff » Fri Sep 19, 2014 7:36 pm

vQmod has so much feature, support and acceptance, its better to stick with vQmod or include the important features of vQmod in ocMod.
Don't worry, even if Daniel doesn't adopt it, VQmod will be available for those who need it. I have already written up one which can easily co-exist with OCmod, you can even use both. Or you could use Jay's external VQmod V2.5.

Export/Import Tool * SpamBot Buster * Unused Images Manager * Instant Option Price Calculator * Number Option * Google Tag Manager * Survey Plus * OpenTwig

Guru Member

Post by eesyboi » Sat Sep 20, 2014 12:03 am

JNeuhoff wrote:
Don't worry, even if Daniel doesn't adopt it, VQmod will be available for those who need it. I have already written up one which can easily co-exist with OCmod, you can even use both. Or you could use Jay's external VQmod V2.5.
Good stuff.

TastyIgniter - Open Source Restaurant Ordering and Management System

Post by MarketInSG » Sat Sep 27, 2014 5:30 pm

just curious, what's the current decision with adding the features from vQmod into OCmod? Anyone have an idea of it, as I having been testing OC2 recently.

If OCmod remains the same, we will give that a miss.

Guru Member

Location - Singapore

Post by JNeuhoff » Sat Sep 27, 2014 9:02 pm

MarketInSG wrote:just curious, what's the current decision with adding the features from vQmod into OCmod? Anyone have an idea of it, as I having been testing OC2 recently.

If OCmod remains the same, we will give that a miss.
There is no news on this front. Daniel has decided to go with OCmod. I have written a VQmod support which also allows the VQmod XML syntax, in addition to OCmod XML, using a modified admin/controller/extension/modificiation.php. The XML file names end with '.ocmod.xml' or '.vqmod.xml'.

Another alternative would be to use Jay's external VQmod (version 2.5 or later).

BTW.: The OCmod documentation is still a bit incomplete, it claims to have support for e.g. the 'offset' and 'index' attributes, but they don't use the same line-based logic used in VQmod. Hence porting VQmod into OCmod will be quite cumbersome.

Export/Import Tool * SpamBot Buster * Unused Images Manager * Instant Option Price Calculator * Number Option * Google Tag Manager * Survey Plus * OpenTwig

Guru Member

Post by dfumagalli » Mon Sep 29, 2014 6:08 pm

The issue is actually fairly simple and even Daniel has no power to it:

Demand and offer.

If OCMod won't provide what the majority feels its needed to deliver professional mods, then OCMod won't take off.
All what we'll have will be: mods starting as OCMod. Then one day the mod maker wants to add new functionality and adding such functionality requires vQMod. Result: that developer will suffer a painful hell, instructing his customers about the switch over another mod system.

I have some examples about why OCMod does not cut it (yet?).

1) Any barely complex class, where you HAVE to add functionality in the middle of one of the 5-6 nested closing braces.
Typical example, the SEO alias controller. I and most SEO mod developers have written walls of code to extend that class.
Every single of every serious SEO extension needs to extend the class in multiple places including the various closing braces towards about 70% the end of the code. Without an offset capability we need to anchor to multi-line code that looks like a "turret" more than a substitution string.
Plus, as every professional modder can confirm, even apparently identical code, in OC 1.5.4 could be "as it looks" where the 1.5.6 "identical" may have has tabs instead of spaces, and sometimes a number of superfluous spaces added to the end of a code line. In this case the matching is going to fail.

2) As any "non-trivial" OpenCart administrator knows by practice, both themes and translations rarely all match in a perfect way. We don't live in a perfect world.
Some of my customers (of course!) impose the theme they like and purchased even if that theme is not exactly compatible with the latest OC version. Same for free and even commercial translations.
Example: a customer of mine bought a "ThemeForest" theme which fitted perfectly with his store. He also supports several languages. Neither the theme had a true OC 1.5.6.X version (but was sold as "compatible" and indeed it is!) nor half his translations (some are commercial).
By default, pre 1.5.6 stuff is assumed to work with 1.5.6 and it "almost does".

But, in order to avoid nasty effects (clicking the Privacy policy at checkout would overwrite current screen and lose ALL the checkout and the entered data => sure to annoy customer => he leaves shop) I had to:

- Perform several wildcard path search and replace operations involving pre 1.5.6 things like fancybox => colorbox. Each replace affected a wild number of files, creating dozens of specific OCMods for the same pattern = "screw it I install vQMod, I can't charge $500 because I can't enter an asterisk".
- Perform several wildcard path search and replace for translations embedding short pieces of HTML.

3) Same for multi-path patches. Not very often, but still several times I had to apply the same code to 2-5 files. This happens because controllers and translations often have some similar lines so a customization may be easily propagated to multiple files. This saves time, which directly maps into less money to ask.

Basically, vQMod is the de facto reply to popular demands by those who really are every day in the OC modding trade. Anything less than a full vQMod clone is going to fall short.

Heavy OpenCart Customizations. Current project in progress: fleurworld.com

Post by JNeuhoff » Sun Nov 02, 2014 2:10 am

I have submitted a new pull request at https://github.com/opencart/opencart/pull/2184

Can we please make OCmod fully line-based, with the same features as in VQmod?

My proposal includes all of this:

Supported search attributes: trim, index, regex
Supported add attributes: trim,position, offset
Supported operation attributes: ignoreif, error

The position includes: 'top','bottom', 'before', 'after', 'replace', 'ibefore', 'iafter'

Guru Member

Post by JNeuhoff » Mon Nov 10, 2014 3:18 am

It looks like Daniel is NOT going for a full-fletched OCmod in the upcoming OpenCart 2.0.0.1 release! See e.g. this discussion on github.

For example, if you wanted to replace 'token' with 'newtoken' for a php file containing this line:

Code: Select all

'url'  => str_replace('&', '&', $this->url->link('extension/installer/ftp', 'token=' . $this->session->data['token'], 'SSL')),
using OCmod XML like this:

<operation>
			<search><![CDATA[token]]></search>
			<add position="replace"><![CDATA[newtoken]]></add>
		</operation>
you'd end up with this replacement for the line:

newtoken
instead of the expected modified line:

'url'  => str_replace('&', '&', $this->url->link('extension/installer/ftp', 'newtoken=' . $this->session->data['newtoken'], 'SSL')),

If you use VQmod, it would replace all instances of 'token' with 'newtoken' as expected.

The only way to achieve this in OCmod is by using regular expressions, e.g. something like this:

<operation>
			<search regex="true"><![CDATA[/token/]]></search>
			<add><![CDATA[newtoken]]></add>
		</operation>

In summary, IMHO OCmod has neither the simplicity nor the features available in VQmod, if you use OCmod be aware of its different logic!

Guru Member

Post by rph » Mon Nov 10, 2014 4:07 am

I appreciate all your effort in trying to push OCMod toward something useful. At this point it looks like it's DOA. Not caring about line collisions shows a real knowledge gap about the principles vQmod was built on.

-Ryan

rph
Expert Member

Location - Lincoln, Nebraska

Post by i2Paq » Mon Nov 10, 2014 4:06 pm

OCmod is crap.

I think if we all abandoned it (not developing anything) it will go away.

This is not a call for a riot but it cannot be that we have a poor mans vQmod in OpenCart misleading common users and making us (Read: OpenCart) the joke of the competition.

Norman in 't Veldt
Moderator OpenCart Forums

_________________ READ and Search BEFORE POSTING _________________

Our FREE search: Find your answer FAST!.

[How to] BTW + Verzend + betaal setup.

Global Moderator

Location - Winkel - The Netherlands

Post by Qphoria » Mon Nov 10, 2014 10:01 pm

i2Paq wrote:OCmod is crap.

I think if we all abandoned it (not developing anything) it will go away.

This is not a call for a riot but it cannot be that we have a poor mans vQmod in OpenCart misleading common users and making us (Read: OpenCart) the joke of the competition.
I don't see why you need to keep bashing it. If you don't like it, then don't use it. Who cares. I personally will continue making mods in vQmod because it's easier to maintain a file-based mod than to have to upload it and refresh it in the database all the time. It's fine. They can all co-exist. So get over it. It hasn't changed anything.

Administrator

Post by JNeuhoff » Tue Nov 11, 2014 2:51 am

Qphoria wrote: I don't see why you need to keep bashing it. If you don't like it, then don't use it. Who cares. I personally will continue making mods in vQmod because it's easier to maintain a file-based mod than to have to upload it and refresh it in the database all the time. It's fine. They can all co-exist. So get over it. It hasn't changed anything.
Actually, to be fair, in the upcoming OpenCart 2.0.0.1 you can directly upload your '*.ocmod.xml' (or '*.vqmod.xml' when using our VQmod) files to your system folder, and then click on the Extensions > Modifications > Refresh, and you are done. The XML files don't need to be stored in the database anymore.

Guru Member

Post by rph » Tue Nov 11, 2014 10:37 pm

Qphoria wrote:I don't see why you need to keep bashing it. If you don't like it, then don't use it. Who cares.
It would be fine if there weren't a larger impact from having two competing but very similar systems. There will need to be a great deal of community education so users are able to identify which modification system is being used and install to it. Developers will also now have to be able to troubleshoot conflicts between OCMods and vQmods.

-Ryan

rph
Expert Member

Post by JNeuhoff » Wed Nov 12, 2014 12:35 am

Another update on OCmod for the upcoming OpenCart 2.0.0.1:

The OCmod XML code

<operation>
         <search><![CDATA[token]]></search>
         <add position="replace"><![CDATA[newtoken]]></add>
      </operation>
(see previous post) now works as expected, that is, it now uses the same logic as the equivalent VQmod code:

<operation>
         <search position="replace"><![CDATA[token]]></search>
         <add><![CDATA[newtoken]]></add>
      </operation>
This is good news, because now OCmod has become much more useful, and porting VQmod XML to OCmod XML will be a more straight forward process!

Guru Member

Post by fido-x » Mon Nov 17, 2014 9:44 am

JNeuhoff wrote:Actually, to be fair, in the upcoming OpenCart 2.0.0.1 you can directly upload your '*.ocmod.xml' (or '*.vqmod.xml' when using our VQmod) files to your system folder, and then click on the Extensions > Modifications > Refresh, and you are done. The XML files don't need to be stored in the database anymore.
Perhaps an empty "index.html" file should be included in the system folder?

Modules for OpenCart 2.3.0.2
Homepage Module [Free - since OpenCart 0.7.7]
Multistore Extensions
Store Manager Multi-Vendor/Multi-Store management tool

If you're not living on the edge ... you're taking up too much space!

Expert Member

Location - Tasmania, Australia

Post by Qphoria » Mon Dec 01, 2014 11:11 pm

rph wrote:
Qphoria wrote:I don't see why you need to keep bashing it. If you don't like it, then don't use it. Who cares.
It would be fine if there weren't a larger impact from having two competing but very similar systems. There will need to be a great deal of community education so users are able to identify which modification system is being used and install to it. Developers will also now have to be able to troubleshoot conflicts between OCMods and vQmods.
So really we just need to find a quick way to disable ALL ocmods at one time so we can take them out of the equation like we can do with the master vqmod_opencart.xml file.

Administrator

Post by JNeuhoff » Tue Dec 02, 2014 5:59 am

Qphoria wrote: So really we just need to find a quick way to disable ALL ocmods at one time so we can take them out of the equation like we can do with the master vqmod_opencart.xml file.
In the admin backend, go to

Extensions > Modifications

and then click on the Clear button.

Guru Member

Post by imdevlper18 » Fri Dec 19, 2014 2:05 pm

I came up across a conflict between ocmod and vqmod.
I do not understand, i should switch to ocmod or vqmod.

Conflict is:

One developer designed a mod with ocmod. His ocmod xml works on file seo_url.php.
As per the working of ocmod, it creates a new files in system/modification folder.

Now mine module was designed with vqmod. Working on same file.
But now it does not consider this file.

What should i do, switch to Ocmod or vqmod ?. Please help. Did someone got my issue?

Opencart Extensions | Professional opencart support | Support Ticket | support@cartbinder.com

Post by rph » Sat Dec 20, 2014 9:59 pm

This might work:

<file name="catalog/controller/common/seo_url.php,system/modification/catalog/controller/common/seo_url.php">

-Ryan

rph
Expert Member

Post by JNeuhoff » Tue Jan 13, 2015 4:32 am

rph wrote:This might work:

<file name="catalog/controller/common/seo_url.php,system/modification/catalog/controller/common/seo_url.php">
A bit of a late reply, but in case anyone else has this issue:

Use VQMod for OpenCart 2, it supports VQmod XML as well as OCmod XML in the same OpenCart modification system.

No files from system/modification should be targeted for modification!

Guru Member