Post by davykeenan » Wed Aug 18, 2010 1:14 am

OK FOLKS, LETS GET THIS BALL ROLLING....

The 'Elite Banner ADS System' has been designed to allow the administrator to advertise two main types of banner ads, both types can be run side by side from the same admin so double the whammy...

1. LONG BANNER ADS (480X100*): these banners are rotaters, the banner one takes up one banner space and rotates every 10 seconds, banners are linkable and have title information (edit via admin). These are set to be displayed at he top of the page (but can be moved manually anywhere).

2. MINI BANNER ADS (160X100*): these are mini ads that appear in a module on the left of right columns, these are displayed as a vertical list.

*Sizes can be altered to whatever you wish, but only stated sizes have been tested and approved.

This is a major extension and may be more profitable than buyer actual sales websites. I will be giving full time support to this as a priority and it will be developed for every version of opencart.

Will post roadmap shortly please add to it buy posting to forum, i will update it every week.

Davy K
Last edited by i2Paq on Sat Sep 25, 2010 6:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic moved

Post by davykeenan » Sat Sep 25, 2010 8:09 am

VERSION HISTORY
===============

1.0.0 Initial release - 25th September 2010

ROADMAP (FREE UPDATES FOR USER WHO BUY THIS MOD)
===============

(1) Add payment option for banners AND include upload banner.**
(2) Automatically add paid banner to site (or with admin 1click approval)
(3) Add banner to My Account once paid (see all details)
(4) Set single banner to be shown on a list of selected pages. (better banner paging)
(5) Add dates to show banners (from and until dates)
(6) On Banner Click counter (show in buyers My Account and Admin banner list)
(7) Full listings page (with banners and contact information) links to order information.
(8) Better functionality with banner transition (allow user to edit host of values)
(9) Better admin error handling
(10) Easier positioning of the large banners (list of available positions)
(11) Write installer for all versions
(12) Let me know and I will add requests to roadmap...
Last edited by davykeenan on Sat Sep 25, 2010 9:52 am, edited 2 times in total.

Post by davykeenan » Sat Sep 25, 2010 8:17 am

This is a extension for elite opencarters..... :laugh: ....to make some major cash....

http://www.opencart.com/index.php?route ... ion_id=507

Post by Xsecrets » Sat Sep 25, 2010 12:36 pm

wow $200 for a banner system? seems a bit steep to me especially for something that I never really understood having on an ecommerce website anyways. Why in the world would I want to advertise for someone else on my store?

OpenCart commercial mods and development http://spotonsolutions.net
Layered Navigation
Shipment Tracking
Vehicle Year/Make/Model Filter

Guru Member

Location - FL US

Post by davykeenan » Sat Sep 25, 2010 5:59 pm

Yeah, I know it's a bit steep, but I get asked about this all the time, and as the example shows it can bring in alot of money for the website owner, and in fact is already proven to work.

I understand what you mean by advertising other sites and businesses, and understand it's not for everyone but the example I used is of a parts supplier that has lots of trade and retail customers that buy from them, so by advertising those businesses the are making money twice, once from the banner sale and then when people buy services from the advertiser and the advertise then buys parts from the parts website, well there you go as I said some people could make more money with the banner system than with selling products.

I am a website designer and local business has slowed down a bit (let's blame the resection everyone else does) , so just trying to make a living and I chose opencart because I thought it had the most potential and I love programming for it, but still have to pay the bills.

The price is initially high but if the example is to go by nothing compared to what you can make. There is still a lot of functions still to add and would need money behind me to continue development.

If I got a strong following behind this I would lower the price, so add your support.

Cheers for the comments

Davy K

Post by JAY6390 » Sat Sep 25, 2010 6:41 pm

I really can't see you selling this for the price, especially since you have no demo, no screenshots and no example sites of it running. Considering the average person makes say 15% markup on a product, to break even for the cost of your banner rotator they will need to sell almost $1300 worth of product! Also most PPC requires a customer to leave your site, go to the affiliate site, and buy from there, so you get a percentage of a sale (usually no more than 8%) and don't get a customer base on your site

As for the recession leading to no work locally, I have to disagree, the recession has been over a while now, business has been fine for at least the last 9 months. If you can't get the business locally, you're clearly approaching it the wrong way. I also don't understand why people would add support to this for you to reduce your pricing, you say that people who buy it get free updates, so when would they see the benefit of the reduced pricing???

I think you need to take a step back, reconsider what you've got, and try again with your marketing strategy

Guru Member

Location - United Kingdom

Post by davykeenan » Sat Sep 25, 2010 6:45 pm

robster wrote:Hi

I am interested - I think. Have a few questions though

1. How many different banner positions can I have? Do I have to chooose between left, right, home OR top or can I have as many as I like in all poistions at one time or somewhere in between?

2. Do you have a demo site so that I can have a play before buying? Particularly the admin area....

3. What other mods do you do - I notice your comments that first 10 buyers get ALL your mods/extensions free but I don't know what you do.

Cheers

Rob
Hi Robster,

1. ok right now you have 2 main positions that you can run side by side you can have the long banner at the top (unlimited rotators) and down the left or right side as well (unlimited), these run at the same time on the same page, you can mix up what banners show on what pages.

The home position is not used yet, as I took it out (just now) to make way for a better modular system. Its a bit confusing when opencart states home, people think of just the home page and not home position (the middle position, i mean), so will be making the new modular position setting something like HOME - TOP/MIDDLE/BOTTOM and SHOW ONLY ON HOME PAGE, If you know what I mean?

2. No there is no demo as yet, the description and image workflow covers most of the functionality so didn't think I needed one, but can look into this.

You can view my test site at http://www.dknet.co.uk/open/ and if you go to the specials page you see different banners than on the other pages. This can be done for every page on the website..

3. All my extensions are on the Opencart extensions page: listed below as well

All Other Countries (Shipping & Payment)
Contact Page Form - Upload, Attach & Show File
Custom Footer with sitemap and information
Custom Product Image Descriptions and better SEO
Edit Order Manually - Edit Shipping and Totals
Pickup from Store - Additional Address / Information

Cheers,

And remember buyer get priority over what happens with the roadmap and what functions go in first, and you also get a custom mod for you choice...

I hope to be working on this system for sometime as i think it is ' ELITE' :laugh:

Davy K

Post by davykeenan » Sat Sep 25, 2010 7:03 pm

JAY6390 wrote:I really can't see you selling this for the price, especially since you have no demo, no screenshots and no example sites of it running. Considering the average person makes say 15% markup on a product, to break even for the cost of your banner rotator they will need to sell almost $1300 worth of product! Also most PPC requires a customer to leave your site, go to the affiliate site, and buy from there, so you get a percentage of a sale (usually no more than 8%) and don't get a customer base on your site

As for the recession leading to no work locally, I have to disagree, the recession has been over a while now, business has been fine for at least the last 9 months. If you can't get the business locally, you're clearly approaching it the wrong way. I also don't understand why people would add support to this for you to reduce your pricing, you say that people who buy it get free updates, so when would they see the benefit of the reduced pricing???

I think you need to take a step back, reconsider what you've got, and try again with your marketing strategy
Thanks for the comments, and I tend to agree with what your saying, about the price, I know its a bit high as stated above but I need support to push this forward, and if people think the system will make them money they will buy and if not they won't. For me at least it’s a proven system (AND IN LESS THAT A WEEK), and more that covers the price.

I don't know where you are in the world but where I am there is not that much work out there, yes I could get loads of internet work as I have done so in the past, but for what standard of living, programming until 4 am, then 5 hours sleep then back to the grind, everyday to pennies, look I’m not asking for users to keep a house over my head as there are a lot of people in the world without one, I just see the potential in this system (even if you don’t), that can make a lot of cash and just want my fair share of that.

OK, a question for you and indeed everyone else, what price would you put on this?

Cheers,
Love the chat, KEEP IT COMING :laugh:

Davy K

Post by davykeenan » Sat Sep 25, 2010 7:06 pm

SCREENSHOTS ON EXTENSIONS PAGE

EXAMPLE SITE MENTIONED ABOVE

DEMO SITE, OK YOU GOT ME THERE, WILL SEE WHAT I CAN DO

DAVY K

Post by robster » Sat Sep 25, 2010 7:17 pm

Err thanks but you copied and pasted my PM (Private Message). Good job there was nothing too private there.

I do have to admit though that I am not sure about using OpenCart to advertise your extension than encouraging people to buy cheaper direct.

robster

I know my place...!

Location - North Yorkshire, UK

Post by JAY6390 » Sat Sep 25, 2010 7:27 pm

I'm in North Wales, and I run my own company. If you're doing internet work 'til 4am for pennies, then again you're doing things wrong.

As for the price on the system, since you consider it high-end I'd recommend say $60. Put it this way, you're more likely to get 5 people to buy something like this for $60 than you are to get one person to buy it for $195, plus you then have a user base. You don't need to give people free updates, since people understand that adding features takes your time, so they're willing to pay for updates (although version 1.1.0 to 1.1.1 isn't really something you should charge for for example, since it's a minor change).
I'm not saying you shouldn't persue this but you don't seem to have a business strategy that many would agree with. Saying you need people to pay an expensive amount because you have spent time developing it, while true, isn't really a concern for consumers. They want a product at a reasonable price. Companies like Apple who make the iPad spend millions developing it, testing etc etc (I'm not an apple enthusiast before anyone says anything, just using it as an example), then recoup their "debt" of development by selling the product for a mark up price and get their money back by shifting units at a price people are willing to pay. This isn't instant of course, it takes time

Guru Member

Location - United Kingdom

Post by davykeenan » Sat Sep 25, 2010 8:22 pm

robster wrote:Err thanks but you copied and pasted my PM (Private Message). Good job there was nothing too private there.

I do have to admit though that I am not sure about using OpenCart to advertise your extension than encouraging people to buy cheaper direct.

robster
Just trying to get the ball rolling and is only for the first 10 customers (well just know anyway), then opencart can get their cut.

Hey, look at all the moderators and administrators, most of them sell there services on opencart and on there own website as well, Qphoria sells his own mods via his website and doesn't pay the 20% and so do a lot more....

I am only following their examples and do offer the odd mod for free, as well as helping out when I can, I could put you on to many forum users that I have done custom work for, out of the goodness in my heart, I am truly one of the good guys tring to make a little cash ... ::)

Look if enought people say they will buy at an acceptable price I will lower it, but It's not just a labour of love for me, its how i make a living.... (last time is say this :laugh: honest)

I want to support opencart in all its glory, and hope this sells any makes some cash for Daniel and the guys, but bottom line... for me too... and it allows me to continue to develop the system for you guys....

Davy K

Post by davykeenan » Sat Sep 25, 2010 8:35 pm

JAY6390 wrote:I'm in North Wales, and I run my own company. If you're doing internet work 'til 4am for pennies, then again you're doing things wrong.
Hi Jay, I know exactly what your saying and the internet work was when i was stating out, I have build a good local client base that sees me though, I have always relied on my reputation to get work and it has done so for the last few years when I set-up my own business, and your probably right I should maybe be working harder on building my local business, but marketing and such takes money, and being self-employed and with banks not lending as much, I would rather push the opencart work as much as a can as I do really love the opencart system and love working with it.

Will maybe rethink structure if no-one else buys but will see how it goes for now...

Davy K

Post by davykeenan » Sat Sep 25, 2010 8:56 pm

JAY6390 wrote:As for the price on the system, since you consider it high-end I'd recommend say $60. Put it this way, you're more likely to get 5 people to buy something like this for $60 than you are to get one person to buy it for $195, plus you then have a user base. You don't need to give people free updates, since people understand that adding features takes your time, so they're willing to pay for updates (although version 1.1.0 to 1.1.1 isn't really something you should charge for for example, since it's a minor change).
I'm not saying you shouldn't persue this but you don't seem to have a business strategy that many would agree with. Saying you need people to pay an expensive amount because you have spent time developing it, while true, isn't really a concern for consumers. They want a product at a reasonable price. Companies like Apple who make the iPad spend millions developing it, testing etc etc (I'm not an apple enthusiast before anyone says anything, just using it as an example), then recoup their "debt" of development by selling the product for a mark up price and get their money back by shifting units at a price people are willing to pay. This isn't instant of course, it takes time
Come on folks, So would you pay initially more for the support and the free updates or pay less then pay for support and then every update??

No sure about that one, see the pros and cons for both but trying to get a middle ground somewhere?

One off low fee, then pay for every upgrade and support, I do know the later does work well in business but I just hate buying something then having to pay for it each time an update comes up, the second way would probably make more sense in the long run and make more money, mmm something to talk about, we will see what I decide...

Davy K

Post by davykeenan » Sat Sep 25, 2010 9:55 pm

Two down, Eight more to go!!! Get it at the reduced price by buying direct. As I stated to these buyers if I decide to put the price down further than the reduced price the first 10 buyers will get a rebate to match that price, its only fair... :)

BUY IT DIRECT, SEND $150 VIA PAYPAL TO business@dknetworking.co.uk AND ADD 'Banner ADS System' IN THE COMMENTS. I WILL THEN SEND YOU THE LINK TO DOWNLOAD IT DIRECTLY. (FIRST TEN BUYERS ONLY) NOW 8 !!!

Post by robster » Sat Sep 25, 2010 10:13 pm

Nope - As they say in Dragon's Den "I'm Out"

I know my place...!

Location - North Yorkshire, UK

Post by davykeenan » Sat Sep 25, 2010 10:34 pm

robster wrote:Nope - As they say in Dragon's Den "I'm Out"
No problem, Robster, but if you are really interested then keep watching I think the price may come down, iv'e been chating with a few people and also my buyers and everyone tends to agree its a bit steep just know with the roadmap as full, so the preasure is on me, the price won't be taken down to the $45 but maybe nearer the $95 mark, but at more than halving the price some consessions will have to be made.

Im thinking about dropping free support (only for modifications) and free upgrades(only major ones) as suggested but not sure if that would benifit everyone??

What do you all think? Better plan or not???

Davy K

Post by Xsecrets » Sat Sep 25, 2010 10:47 pm

I guess we figured out where the economists who claimed the recession was over last july got their numbers. North Wales, because the recession shows no signs of letting up here in south florida. There are hardly any jobs and noone is spending money on anything. As for the internet work seems like everyone is wanting Indian level pricing, so I can certainly see davykeenan's point it's a crappy market out there right now for sure.

Layered Navigation
Shipment Tracking

Guru Member

Location - FL US

Post by davykeenan » Sat Sep 25, 2010 11:11 pm

Its totally different than about 4 years ago, I was working for a large developer, and this system would have cost a client over $3.5k locally, as it stands NO free anything, but now well... You know im not even looking for anywhere near that but its just funny how things turn and people go to the ends of the earth to get the cheapest deal without thinking about quality and support.

Post by Xsecrets » Sat Sep 25, 2010 11:40 pm

davykeenan wrote:this system would have cost a client over $3.5k locally, as it stands NO free anything
I would still cost that much on a one off custom build for a client, but the presumption with putting it up as a standardized module is that you are looking to make back that money over the long term from many sales. That's why people expect it cheaper, although (I'll probably get reamed for saying this) opencart users seem to be cheaper than most. If you look at the module prices on prestashop or magento they are more in line with what you have charged, but people here have actually complained about $10 and $20 modules in the past.

Layered Navigation
Shipment Tracking

Guru Member

Location - FL US