Post by davykeenan » Sun Sep 26, 2010 12:02 am

You know my thinking has always been that product/services/whatever are worth what it means to the individual or business and if people think this extenstion and module will make them more money than it costs then its surly worth the price tag. I know it does as the pricing was decided from my first client who in one week got a monthly subscription of $195 from 8 of his customers and that to me sounded like a good price, just one months banner ad fee and the rest (forever more) were his.

But as I said if people don't think it will make them money, they don't have to buy it, and if they do then spend that bit extra to get an amazing service and reap the rewards !!!

20 bucks wouldn't buy much these days and I already sell other mods/contrib/ext. for those prices, people expect too much for too little.

Post by JAY6390 » Sun Sep 26, 2010 12:15 am

I agree with your point on the cheapness completely X, that seems to be how most people see it, with people haggling to get a price. I just say to them what I say to anyone, you want the work, you pay my price, and they do. It's quite offensive when you give a quote for work and people say "really, can't you give a better price". People don't do it at the supermarket when they get their food etc, so why do they think they can haggle for services. There's only one person who's bitched about my prices not being fair, and that was from someone who charges three times my hourly rate, so you can guess what I said to that :)

@ DK - I can see your point on the cost, but you felt the need to justify the price of it in your description which to me says "I don't think this is worth the money". Also asking people to buy directly from you rather than paying your dues to OC for hosting the file and advertising it is pretty sly. I mean I'm not a fan of 20% of revenue going from a sale myself, but I don't try and steal the revenue back from the actual extensions page or just say "buy it for 1/5th less if you don't make me pay OC their comission"

Guru Member

Location - United Kingdom

Post by davykeenan » Sun Sep 26, 2010 1:08 am

@ DK - I can see your point on the cost, but you felt the need to justify the price of it in your description which to me says "I don't think this is worth the money". Also asking people to buy directly from you rather than paying your dues to OC for hosting the file and advertising it is pretty sly. I mean I'm not a fan of 20% of revenue going from a sale myself, but I don't try and steal the revenue back from the actual extensions page or just say "buy it for 1/5th less if you don't make me pay OC their comission"
I get what your saying but I really do think this is worth the money, I am just trying to give a full service and backup the price with a great extension and support, would you rather I not support my extensions??

The reason I justified it as much is because its the highest priced extension, but you have put it into perspective for me and I really DO think is worth the price so it will stay that price for now and will see how it goes. Others have bought so they think so too and it only second day after release.

As for the opencart, come on what about q's website he doesn't pay the 20% but still advertises on opencart forums, Im just giving options to my customer who at least to me are the more important priority.

I have already given a chunk of my sales to opencart and support them 100% and they will get a chunky of this once i cover my costs... and its not like im getting the money... so sealling it... come on... insulted....

Davy K

Post by davykeenan » Sun Sep 26, 2010 1:16 am

actually if you work it out i get $6 less if people pay directly....

Post by JAY6390 » Sun Sep 26, 2010 1:24 am

Yes Q has advertised his store in his sig, but he sells his extensions in the extension area too (20% of which goes to OC - NOT TO Q BTW). If you have a store and sell in your signature, then that's not so bad, but simply telling people pay me directly is just wrong (this is my opinion, others may disagree). And no you're not getting the money, but you're still trying to boost your sales and not give a cut to OC. Also, what if someone buys it through OC, you can't give them a rebate when you reduce the cost, or you'll be taking a loss

And I don't see me saying don't support your extension. Surely if someone pays for a module, and pays for upgrades, you're going to keep supporting it since it's financially worth you doing so. Just seems you're looking at it the wrong way in my opinion, I could be wrong, like I say it's just my opinion

Guru Member

Location - United Kingdom

Post by davykeenan » Sun Sep 26, 2010 1:48 am

Well it's all the same in my book, a little here and little there, I sell a higher percentage of my mods via opencart than q sells so does that make me better, NO it is your opinion and I respect that but many people do the same and until Daniel forbids it then I don't see I'm doing anything wrong no rules broken, as anyone I have dealt with or anyone who knows me will tell you, I would go out of my way to help anyone, one of the good guys. You know it's the good people in the world that get know where because they do it by the book and the scammers that get to the top by cheating, what does that tell you about the world. I can truly say my moral compass points in the right direction.

But anywho... lets not lose the plot...

We will agree to disagree, cheers for the chat and hope you buy the extension... :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

Davy K
Last edited by davykeenan on Sun Sep 26, 2010 5:06 am, edited 1 time in total.

Post by davykeenan » Sun Sep 26, 2010 3:00 am

Can we bring the topic back to the actual extension and module. I am still thinking about the pricing.

Davy K

Post by davykeenan » Sun Sep 26, 2010 4:58 pm

Ok had a sleep on this an will be posting an alternative package later, not sure about the details yet but will definetly be cheaper, and also renaming it...

I will keep the full service available as I believe it's worth the money, but only on request will remove it from the main extensions area.

Stay tuned folks....

Davy K
Last edited by davykeenan on Sun Oct 03, 2010 2:18 am, edited 1 time in total.

Post by davykeenan » Mon Sep 27, 2010 5:10 am

Total rethink on the banner system, renamed to BANNER ADS SYSTEM and dropped the price so its more inline with current pricing structure. It was obviously to dear....

Customised support is now on request only.

The 'Banner ADS System' has been moved to http://www.opencart.com/index.php?route ... ion_id=516

So please let me know what you all think?

and also how many of the roadmap items you would like to see in the future?

Davy K